Ok so I'm currently using a incredible but I'm looking around to maybe get another BB to have as a secondary phone...used to have a 9700 on ATT ....but yesterday I went to the VZW store to play with a storm 2 and I couldn't type on it for the life of me, right now on my Droid inc I can knock out sentences pretty quick...granted I only played with the storm for about 10 min but the keypad and screen just didn't seem like something I would be able to get used too ....so my question is does the screen soften up over time or do you guys just get used to it and are really able to fly on it.....sorry for the long post , thanks
    05-18-10 10:06 AM
    The S2 was my first touchscreen, have had it a little over two weeks, and I can honestly say I can type faster than I could with my Curve8330. I think it all comes down to your personal ability to adjust.
    05-18-10 10:10 AM
    Just takes some time to get used to it. I previously had a Pearl 8130, so this S2 is my first touchscreen phone. It took me a day or two to get the hang of typing on the S2, but I feel like I can type pretty quickly on it now. Setting the phone to where it shows a popup for the letter you're touching before you actually select it helps as well. I think I'd probably have more trouble now with a touchscreen that I couldn't actually "feel" the button/letter I'd selected.
    05-18-10 10:21 AM
    Typing on this phone takes some adjustment, especially if you're unfamiliar with SureType. Besides, SurePress is like a cross between a physical keypad and a touchscreen virtual keyboard. There's nothing on the market that's quite like it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-10 10:28 AM
    Took me a little while to get used to it, as my previous touchscreen was resistive - so was used to using my nail and not finger pad. Once I got over that typing was a breeze.

At this point I'm faster on my S2 than was on my 9000.
    05-18-10 10:42 AM
    It took me about 3 days and I was able to type faster on my S2 than on my Tour.
    05-18-10 10:51 AM
    Ditto to all of the above. After a very small learning curve, I can absolutely FLY on the S2. You kind of have to let go and just type fairly lightly and fast. If you get bogged down in pushing down letter by letter you will type slow.
    05-18-10 11:02 AM
    Hey thanks for the replies guys....I was just concerned because I do a ton of messaging with my phones....I really want the new pearl so hopefully that comes to VZW sometime in the near future but the storm will have to hold me over as a secondary phone for now
    05-18-10 11:15 AM
    As the others have said, typing will get easier. I came from full keyboard BB for the past 7 years and still have a bold 9700 and now that I have has my storm for a few months, I find it difficult to type on the bold! You just have to choose a keyboard layout that works the best for you on the storm.

05-18-10 11:24 AM
    The more you do, the better/faster you get.
    05-18-10 02:16 PM
    I think like anything, it gets easier with time. I actually just switched from the Moto Droid to the S2, had the S1 before. I prefer the "click." You have to watch the ones in the store, though. I played around with them when I got my Droid and decided not to go to a S2 because of the ones in the store. They're worn out and are nothing compared the the S2 I have now.
    05-18-10 02:53 PM
    I think at first folks are apprehensive about typing "too hard"...you know, it's a brand new phone, it's got a cool touchscreen with this "click" in it...it's different, and, at first, you want to be gentle...

After a while you realize it can take what you can throw at it, and typing gets easier as you become accustomed to how the screen responds. Probably more an adjustment than on a non-"SurePress" touch screen as well.
    05-18-10 04:35 PM
    Typing is the best feature of this phone. Your forget your using a touch screen after a while and start believing its a hardware keyboard, while enjoying the additional screen real estate.
    05-18-10 06:23 PM
    Dont know about the S2, but I had two S1s and coming from a full qwerty keyboard, I could never get used to the virtual keyboard-it was a nightmare.
    05-18-10 08:34 PM
    Dont know about the S2, but I had two S1s and coming from a full qwerty keyboard, I could never get used to the virtual keyboard-it was a nightmare.
    Isn't the S2 keyboard a big upgrade from the S1 though
    05-19-10 08:14 AM
    Ive had the phone for about 4 months and i cannot get used to landscape mode typing......i could fly on my iphone but not so much on my s2. Suretype is the best imho with a modded dictionary.
    05-19-10 08:47 AM
    It is, even compared to my modified Storm1 (replaced the gel pads behind the screen with double sided tape to make the click stiffer). Not only does it click evenly anywhere on the screen, but it also allows for multitouch. This improves your two-handed typing speed tremendously.

05-19-10 09:31 AM
    It will get easier with practice.

BKVic
    05-20-10 02:39 PM
    Has not gotten better for me after about 6 months. Really, Really, Really want to "train" the keyboard and I hope somehow, some way that a future phone will have a landscape slide out keyboard ... I know, I know, but a man can dream ...
    05-20-10 08:33 PM
    I can type lightning fast. I am actually wanting to set a timer up and see how fast I really am. People say its insane. There is no os that will keep up with me when I'm on point...
    05-20-10 09:04 PM
    It DOES indeed take some getting used to, BUT...I can actually type faster on Odin now than I could on my Treo. I had the Treo for 3 and a half years, and I've had the Storm2 since launch (still original phone). I tend to use the FULL QWERTY PORTRAIT mode which probably increased the transition period, but I have now become quite efficient at typing even long WORD docs on it.
    05-21-10 12:57 AM
    Yeah, you can press multiple areas of the S2 screen at the same time now.

I went from the iphone to S2. Love the S2.

Spending a few hours playing Wordmole helped me. Now I'm flying faster than any phone I've had before (touch screen or kb)
    05-21-10 01:27 AM
    I actually switched to the S2 from a droid eris..the eris had HORRIBLE typing..keys were small and thumbs would hit other buttons..meanwhile I can type super fast on the S2 and love the surepress technology
    05-22-10 06:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD