I've seen several people post that it takes the storm awhile to "get used" to an OS. This doesn't make any sense to me so I was wondering if it's true.

When I first started running .85 it was buggy and my phone kept freezing. It did seem to start running better after awhile, however. I then upgraded to .86 which was horrible, so I downgraded back to .85. Now it's buggy again. I don't know whether or not to try reinstalling it or wait a bit and see if it starts to work better.
    01-17-09 04:32 PM
    When I downgraded to .75 after .86, It wasn't buggy at all, yet, I had all the free space and the speed that I had with .86, so maybe your onto something
    01-17-09 04:37 PM
    yes, there's an explanation and crucial described the reason why...check his posts...it was about a month ago if you want the exact explanation.
    Last edited by neolantis; 01-17-09 at 06:12 PM.
    01-17-09 04:51 PM
    My experience from .86 was terrible the first few days. I did several battery pulls and it was freezing up a lot, verizon screen of death, media card inserted freeze. I planned to downgrade back to .75 before work one day but didn't get around to it, and sure enough I wasn't at work for more than an hour and got a text, tried to reply and it froze. So I did a battery pull and when it cam back up this time it was fine, everything worked good I've probably went 2 days without a battery pull now. Ive read from other users that you do have to give it some time, and I thought after 2 or 3 days and 8 or 10 battery pulls I would know for sure if it was going to work for me or not. But in this case I guess I didn't wait long enough idk?

CM
    01-17-09 04:52 PM
    yes, there's an explanation that crucial described the reason why...check his posts...it was about a month ago if you want the exact explanation.
    great, ill check one of his 6000 something posts, that only go back to 12/30

can you refresh us on any details or anything of what you remember?
    01-17-09 04:54 PM
    I think it has more to do with the user getting used to the OS rather than the OS or phone getting used to one another.
    01-17-09 04:57 PM
    I think it has more to do with the user getting used to the OS rather than the OS or phone getting used to one another.
    Maybe, but you have to be able to get to the home screen first lol
    01-17-09 05:04 PM
    I don't understand why either, but my phone does seem to stabilize more a few days after an OS upgrade. Sometimes new bugs come to light by then too, but so far with .86, it's been OK.
    01-17-09 05:21 PM
    it doesn't matter first of all, cause it's nothing you can do about it.

the way it was explained was like the analagy of a hard drive.

It takes the OS time to log into its memory where each file is being stored...something like that
    01-17-09 06:14 PM
    hmm... so the phone is learning? like a person... irobot?
    01-17-09 06:34 PM
    Ghosts in the machine...
    01-17-09 06:41 PM
    basically, yes...where it is storing the file.

easy access for next time it needs it.

that's why it's said to wait 24 to 48 hrs until you make any decisions.

ofcourse, if there are major issues then the phone has made its decision for you.
    01-17-09 06:43 PM
    All BBs do this.

Whenever you change the OS, it takes about 5 days to see the final result. FileFree and battery life are the most noticeable..
    01-17-09 07:23 PM
    All BBs do this.

Whenever you change the OS, it takes about 5 days to see the final result. FileFree and battery life are the most noticeable..
    wasn't aware of the 5 days...thanks fonebrkr
    01-17-09 07:26 PM
    Could this work in reverse? After installing .86 everything seemed GREAT for the first 2 days. After about 2 days I started getting a few little freeze ups, and my storm will sometimes not come unlocked. I feel .86 is very stable for me, but I have noticed a small amount of decreased quality.
    01-17-09 07:51 PM
    Hardware doesn't have emotion. Users tend to lose ignorance as time goes on... Thats where I'd place my money if I were betting. That and several reboots can help...
    01-17-09 08:45 PM
    Hardware doesn't have emotion. Users tend to lose ignorance as time goes on... Thats where I'd place my money if I were betting. That and several reboots can help...
    that would be awesome for all if users would lose ignorance over time...i know i'd be happy
    01-17-09 09:04 PM
    It sounds like the phenomenon CX is describing is filesystem caching, which most OSes do to improve performance. However, I would argue that at most, that might cost you a few milliseconds of performance the first time you take a specific action after each reboot. As a computer scientist, to say that a phone "gets used to" an OS is pretty silly. The instructions don't change and neither does that hardware that executes them.
    01-17-09 10:19 PM
    It sounds like the phenomenon CX is describing is filesystem caching, which most OSes do to improve performance. However, I would argue that at most, that might cost you a few milliseconds of performance the first time you take a specific action after each reboot. As a computer scientist, to say that a phone "gets used to" an OS is pretty silly. The instructions don't change and neither does that hardware that executes them.
    I doubt there is a lot of caching going on as there isn't a whole lot of cache there. You aren't allowed to install apps to the storage card so there is no need for caching there as long as you can get access to media fast enough to play it. Caching the flash to SRAM is possible but its all gone after the copious battery pulls that I hear people needing here all the time. I don't seem to need them all that often though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-18-09 08:17 AM
    you can install your apps to your storage card with Aerize Card Loader 2008 - SD card install utility!!!! it works great
    01-18-09 08:40 AM
    Could this work in reverse? After installing .86 everything seemed GREAT for the first 2 days. After about 2 days I started getting a few little freeze ups, and my storm will sometimes not come unlocked. I feel .86 is very stable for me, but I have noticed a small amount of decreased quality.
    sease15, I have had the same experience, loads fine, runs great then starts to deteriorate after a few days and I do a wipe for every leak I install.
    Last edited by 2Krunk; 01-18-09 at 08:53 AM. Reason: corrected quoter name
    01-18-09 08:51 AM
    I haven't read CXs entries but may go back and check when I have more time.
    OS getting used to a phone would be marginal. I don't know the 'tech spec' of the HW here but the items that make OS run faster are:

Application memory (less caching and yes even BB will have some from of single to duel level cache) but I doubt much goes on.

Multiple threads.. the more threads the architecture can handle the more multiplexing can occur, which BB is reasonably good at (until you run out of the above)

Translation tables and branch histories.... these MAY be persistent and would
    give a guide on what was used the most and what prog branches taken.This would lead to better performance for the users more common functions.

I'm not aware of what type of persistent (ie stored with no battery/flash) mem is available, that would be one of the leading factors for more or less of the above.

This doesn't answer anyone's questions.. but maybe food for thought.
    I know my Storm was Born -11/21/08 and as it ages I'll see it grow and occasionally through a tantrum...
    01-18-09 12:22 PM
    LOL exactly. Come on, OP, if the phone actually "got used to it" you would have also heard that artificial intelligence has grown by leaps and bounds. Notice that hasn't been reported in the media.

Gimme a break.
    01-18-09 12:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD