I tried to search for existing threads... but couldn't locate one that helped...
    I went from an LG Dare, wich takes amazing photos for a phone, to my Storm. I love the Storm, but the camera part seems to be way below par for the rest of the device... Seeing that Verizon touted the "largest camera in a phone at 3.2 MP!!!" during the marketing.

Camera is SLOW!
    Quality is POOR!

Now, for all of you regulars here... I am not dogging the Storm at all. I am thinking that it is my settings. After all, it is a phone, not a camera. I am still on .75... is that the problem?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
    05-10-09 04:26 PM
    The camera has been known to be not so great on .75. I upgraded a while back to .109 and my camera has since improved greatly. I would head over and research a new OS for your storm, and do the upgrade if you are comfortable doing so.
    05-10-09 04:28 PM
    Quality under .75 was abysmal. The higher versions of code correct the quality issue immensely - but even on .141 the phone can't properly capture movement (ice show, circus lions, etc). Its great for stills though on higher OS versions.
    05-10-09 04:28 PM
    imho .75 is the problem. I am running .141 and i think the camera was best on .132 but .141 is soo much quicker then everything else. its up to you what operating system you use but i would try .141. if it gives you a fatal error at first dont flip out. just reload the os with apploader and you'll be straight.
    05-10-09 04:29 PM
    Yep it sucks
    05-10-09 04:32 PM
    On .75 it is horrible. The leaked Os takes great pictures in daylight. In doors or at night not so great.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-10-09 04:33 PM
    Yep it sucks
    thanks for being so helpful and constructive!

.141 camera works great.
    05-10-09 05:04 PM
    .76 definitely doesn't work with the camera.

Once i updated to .132 and later to .141 it now works perfect!

the time it takes to take a shot is almost instantaneous!
    also, to jump to the camera mode doesn't require as long as it did with .76

A couple of tips that i got from my friends about my camera shots though:

- hold it steady and don't move even after you hear the camera clicking for a few seconds
    - when using flash to take pictures at night you need to hold the button for a longer flash to register on the shot.
    - take a few pictures then delete the once that didn't work
    05-10-09 05:20 PM
    Don't expect slr quality pictures - its a phone.
    The quality has gotten better with more recent leaked OSs
    Get as much light as possible
    Don't zoom in

05-10-09 05:26 PM
    Yes I am agreeing wit most people here. Ever since upeating the camera has become amazing for a phone camera. I have oftenneeded to take pictures of stolen jewelry for our detectives and my phone camera takes better close up pictures than the departments digital one. What I mean is that the camera actually zooms in on small objects.

05-10-09 05:37 PM
    Yes the camera suckz on .75. Upgrade the OS and you should notice a different.

05-10-09 05:45 PM
    WOW!
    Thanks for all of the quick responses!

As I said, it is afterall a phone... the camera is a bonus.

Follow up?:
    Can I upgrade from .75 right to .132 or .141? Or, do i need to do it in inccrements?

Sorry, I am fairly new to the Blackberry world... Bit wouldn't go back now. LOL!
    05-10-09 05:51 PM
    WOW!
    Thanks for all of the quick responses!

As I said, it is afterall a phone... the camera is a bonus.

Follow up?:
    Can I upgrade from .75 right to .132 or .141? Or, do i need to do it in inccrements?

Sorry, I am fairly new to the Blackberry world... Bit wouldn't go back now. LOL!
    You can upgrade straight to .132 or .141. Lots of good information stickied in the OS forum.
    05-10-09 05:57 PM
    You can upgrade to .132 or.141 straight away . I made the jump to .132 3 weeks ago & I'm really happy with it so far .
    05-10-09 06:03 PM
    there is a nice thread going about the camera quality compared to the iphone, and it has some really good pics to give you an idea of the capabilities. i use my camera all the time for work, and it hasn't let me down yet
    05-10-09 06:08 PM
    I did the upgrade to .132... Lots of cool changes, but camera is only slightly better. Thanks for all the help guys.
    05-11-09 12:26 PM
    I never had quality problems with the camera on 0.76. i've got some that are amazing (even for a digital camera). If you have the "image stabilzation" off (which helped for speed on shutter), you will need to hold the canera steady, othewrwise the picture will be quite blurry. I have since moved to 0.141/5.0 and to tell you the truth, the quality of pictures has not really improved but the shutter speed has, by leaps and bounds.
    05-11-09 01:04 PM
    Under Camera Options, set your camera to Superfine for better pics.
    05-11-09 01:24 PM
    .75 was borderline unusable for me

many reasons on top of camera fixes to upgrade
    05-11-09 01:30 PM
    .132 and .141 made my camera work great. Hated it on .75
    05-11-09 02:06 PM
    when i went to .121 it was good but with the setup i have now..its GREAT, camera is fast..great quality pics
    05-11-09 03:22 PM
    I'm not sure if its my phone or the OS but camera picture quality is horrible even though it takes pics a lot faster.

Settings have always been the same from each subsequent upgrade. (.113 ->.132->.141)

Any ideas?

05-14-09 08:56 AM
    Quality under .75 was abysmal. The higher versions of code correct the quality issue immensely - but even on .141 the phone can't properly capture movement (ice show, circus lions, etc). Its great for stills though on higher OS versions.
    I will be amazed if any camera phone can capture movement like that. Most consumer digital cameras cant capture movement like that. Its not only the shutter speed that effects the capturing of an image, its the light capturing chips inside the lens. There is so much hardware cramed into the phone that and let alone, I bet the camera parts in the phone are barely deep or large enough to handle the size of them. These are not made to produce images where you can make 8x10 prints of. You would need a decent camera to capture motion like that. Nothing off of a smartphone.
    05-14-09 09:10 AM
    lol The Storm's EVERYTHING sucks--not just the camera!
    05-14-09 09:12 AM
    .75 is definitely the problem. Update to a leak. Lyridicals .141/5.0 hybrid is the bomb

05-14-09 09:22 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD