You know how Microsoft keeps making changes "in order to maintain
    security, etc." ? I am running 713 on my S2. Is it possible that RIM and
    VZN are doing the same thing, but just not telling us ? You know, small fixes
    to complaints and embarrassments, that are just done on the fly ?

I have been the shepherd of a real time OS in the distant past and I am
    a student of human nature. Just wondering. Doctor Neutron
    09-05-10 02:36 PM
    There are no automatic updates on any BlackBerry OS, like the monthly updates that Microsoft releases for Windows that get installed when one selects "Automatic Updates--on". RIM and carriers release new OSes to make improvements for many different reasons, but you will not get any updates without installing a new OS on your device. They do not have "hotfixes" or "service packs" like Windows.
    09-05-10 02:41 PM
    Not sure and I doubt they'd admit it if they did. Yesterday, I noticed after attaching my S2 to my PC for the first time in a bit over a week, that during synching with DM, there were some "Core applications" that required updating. My own experience was, that it took two reboots before DM seemed satisfied. Still, I'm on .713, though the Platform is 4.2.0.323 and I have no idea if that number changed. I would think any tweaks to the OS would result in a different OS number, but the whole "OS vs. Platform vs. Bundle vs. Cryptographic Kernel thing has never been resolved in my mind as to what is what and when, lol.

P.S. I really dislike the new DM, btw. It's so SLOW!
    09-05-10 02:42 PM
    I hear both your expert comments. We all load whatever apps we choose. I do a soft reset every 3 days or so using QP, plus an occasional battery pull. No nuclear options for more than 6 mos, and that was my bad.

I love my S2's performance. Yet we all see some strange things. I participated in one thread regarding top left LOCK key getting flaky. Shoot, it got bad, real bad. Didn't drop my phone, didn't clean it extra special. For the last three days, it has been PERFECT. What ?

I can understand how replacing whole modules could lead to Backup and Restore catastrophes. I fantasize that changing some little 'ol TABLE entries couldn't hurt that much. I wonder... Doctor Neutron
    09-05-10 08:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD