.685:

- Phone application does not work.
    - Camera does not work.
    - Media player encountering many issues.

How did this leak come about? They couldn't POSSIBLY have meant to push this for carrier testing, right? How do they even slap a number on this and call it a build? This is the kind of stuff you see in the earliest stages of development.

This is freaking hysterical...can't believe this company was once known for "quality"
    07-01-10 05:43 PM
    Yes, because interns are so inept. They're usually better and more efficient at their job than the people who actually work for the company. (trust someone who IS an intern.)

Learn some respect.

And it's the Storm. If you don't like it, downgrade your OS. Use a hybrid. Solve the damn problem.
    07-01-10 05:51 PM
    Yes, because interns are so inept. They're usually better and more efficient at their job than the people who actually work for the company. (trust someone who IS an intern.)

Learn some respect.

And it's the Storm. If you don't like it, downgrade your OS. Use a hybrid. Solve the damn problem.
    Isn't it THEIR job to fix the problem?

I actually do respect interns, my title implies that interns only are creating the OS.
    07-01-10 06:03 PM
    To be completely honest, I'd say they've moved all their talent into developing 6 and the new storm 3 UI engine rather than have them fix bugs on 5. They're just letting the pee-on's bug fix their old code (and make more of a mess of it in the process).
    07-01-10 06:21 PM
    .685:

- Phone application does not work.
    - Camera does not work.
    - Media player encountering many issues.

How did this leak come about? They couldn't POSSIBLY have meant to push this for carrier testing, right? How do they even slap a number on this and call it a build? This is the kind of stuff you see in the earliest stages of development.

This is freaking hysterical...can't believe this company was once known for "quality"
    so your complaining because a leak - NOT something offical - doesnt work right?

all devs make beta builds, and not everything works in particluar versions, hence beta/leak. they didnt mean for you to use it, so theres nothing left to say
    07-01-10 06:26 PM

all devs make beta builds, and not everything works in particluar versions, hence beta/leak. they didnt mean for you to use it, so theres nothing left to say
    This logic has plagued me since I started using a BB... Between the lack of milestone builds and internal testing, how is a build certified and installed on a device? Is it really up to the carriers to deem a build worthy? By that logic, an auto maker should just build a bunch of different engines for cars and keep shipping them to the dealerships. When they've tested one that performs the way they think it should they install it in the car and call it a day. RIM has potentially the worst software building model I've ever seen in the industry.
    07-01-10 06:37 PM

But how did this get out if it was not on the carrier website for testing. How could it be posted?! And why even make this a build...every single minor change doesn't give it a new build number, they are compiled with radio and platform and everything. Why even call it .685 and not say, internally, .684.5?
    07-01-10 06:38 PM
    How many threads are you going to create for this? By the way, the Jets suck.
    07-01-10 06:41 PM
    How many threads are you going to create for this? By the way, the Jets suck.
    The only real threads I create that whine have been...one about 5.0...one about this build after my phone stopped working today and I couldn't make any calls...one after VZW forced $10 data plans on everyone...

Don't see what's so out of line with 3 whiny threads in a year?
    07-01-10 07:00 PM
    That's way too many.....jk

It is sad though to think that .685 may have leaked from carrier testing. Some people think that the Chinese 9530 is built differently than ours, but I don't think from a business standpoint that would be a good decision. They have to have a good amount of S1's left over anyway plus the cost of developing OS's for two different versions of the 9530 would draw more man hours away from OS6 or future devices and such. I agree with jason though and think that more of the senior members are working on OS6
    07-01-10 07:12 PM
    But how did this get out if it was not on the carrier website for testing. How could it be posted?! And why even make this a build...every single minor change doesn't give it a new build number, they are compiled with radio and platform and everything. Why even call it .685 and not say, internally, .684.5?
    when a build is exported to be tested, its given a number, hence the build, this happens with virtually all software, just you dont see it (take apple as perfect example, 3.1.2 to 4.0, but that wasnt one step), RIM export their builds, then (i think) sometimes place them on their tester sites, think its called alliance or summat, cant remember but i have a login to one lol, from being on that site you can then download the OS to test it, its NOT commercially available, and isnt meant to be so. and for your 684.5 idea, why not just play with single numbers, thers way too many periods as it is!!

they have to export and test it as otherwise they wont know what the issues are, and as with any prgram sometimes by fixing one thing you break summat else. it happens. alot.

but my point still remains, you cannot seriously complain about the quality of a build that was never deemed ok for public use.
    07-01-10 07:34 PM
    By that logic, an auto maker should just build a bunch of different engines for cars and keep shipping them to the dealerships. When they've tested one that performs the way they think it should they install it in the car and call it a day. RIM has potentially the worst software building model I've ever seen in the industry.
    Analogy is fail.

1. A car engine is hardware, which is expensive to replace. Software changes are cheap to implement. How often do you get updates to your computer operating system? Your browser? Would you prefer that Microsoft and Mozilla never roll out updates or bug fixes?
    2. Lifespan to obsolescence is much longer on a car than a mobile device.
    3. Auto makers often implement minor changes during a model year.
    4. Major changes usually occur at a new model year, but manufacturers do not make drastic changes every year, as they did 1950-1970.
    5. Cars can be recalled if a defect is serious enough.

The Storm 1 is better compared to a car platform that might go as long as four years without any drastic changes. Incremental software upgrades are similar to changes between model years... but, unlike swapping a car engine, they can easily push new software to your phone.

Oh, yeah.... S1 is also obsolete. It has neither the processing power nor the memory capacity to run the upcoming OS.

To continue with the car analogy... OP was complaining that a Chinese software beta didn't work right on his US phone. That's like importing a Toyota directly from Japan instead of buying a US version, then complaining that the steering wheel is on the wrong side.
    07-01-10 07:42 PM
    Analogy is fail.

1. A car engine is hardware, which is expensive to replace. Software changes are cheap to implement. How often do you get updates to your computer operating system? Your browser? Would you prefer that Microsoft and Mozilla never roll out updates or bug fixes?
    2. Lifespan to obsolescence is much longer on a car than a mobile device.
    3. Auto makers often implement minor changes during a model year.
    4. Major changes usually occur at a new model year, but manufacturers do not make drastic changes every year, as they did 1950-1970.
    5. Cars can be recalled if a defect is serious enough.

The Storm 1 is better compared to a car platform that might go as long as four years without any drastic changes. Incremental software upgrades are similar to changes between model years... but, unlike swapping a car engine, they can easily push new software to your phone.

Oh, yeah.... S1 is also obsolete. It has neither the processing power nor the memory capacity to run the upcoming OS.

To continue with the car analogy... OP was complaining that a Chinese software beta didn't work right on his US phone. That's like importing a Toyota directly from Japan instead of buying a US version, then complaining that the steering wheel is on the wrong side.
    Leave it to a lawyer... I'm going to take your final point and say that even using the platform from .685 is a gigantic fail. I apologize for your complete overanalyzation of my very simple analogy. Lets replace the engine in my analogy with PCM code. Now have the dealers flash the PCM code for a year and a half and still have the car running sub par.

Also, if S1 is obsolete to be running 5.0.X, why is it still being developed? Your internet swagger might exude intelligence, but does it really make you feel better that you tore apart a ****ty analogy?
    07-01-10 07:52 PM
    The S1 has been EOLed by almost every carrier, so he was very correct in saying it's obsolete. The 8330 was being developed for until almost the S2's release, but it was obsolete long before that.

It's being developed because there's like 2 carriers that are still asking for OS', and people (for some reason) still own them.
    07-01-10 08:49 PM
    The S1 has been EOLed by almost every carrier, so he was very correct in saying it's obsolete. The 8330 was being developed for until almost the S2's release, but it was obsolete long before that.
    S1 and S2 are on the same development cycle with regard to OS5. S1 was EOL'd because it had a replacement 1 year after it's launch. Anyone that would buy a S1 while the S2 was available was a fool. The 8330, like the S1, was being developed for because it was on the same dev cycle as the 8350. EOL'd != obsolete.

It's being developed because there's like 2 carriers that are still asking for OS', and people (for some reason) still own them.
    Stating that 2 carriers are still asking for OS's and people still own them further affirms that the product is not obsolete. I would think that since it is just being offered in an Eastern Asia market, it is hardly going to be buried. People "for some reason," are still in contract with the devices so they are likely to ride it out until something else comes along. Street value of a S1 doesn't make it an appealing sell...
    07-01-10 09:40 PM
    Hm .. Camera works for me, I just got off the phone, and watched videos just fine yesterday..smh

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-02-10 05:26 PM
    If OS6 will run on a storm 2, it will run on a storm 1, i can promise you that.

The sad part is, I'm running more free memory than most storm 2 users.
    07-06-10 05:01 AM
    Apart from the basic fact that OS6 isnt being developed for storm 1, and no 128mb devices are getting it.....

Pray tell how do you guarantee that it will run? fancy laying some evidence or supporting facts down for us...

And last but not least, there will be no 9500/9530 compatible SFI file anyway, and as anyone using hybrids will have learnt by now they are not interchangable between the models....
    07-06-10 07:31 AM

Oh really now?
    07-06-10 12:55 PM

Seriously? You're seriously going to boast that a unit that has half the app memory with no OS installed has more free memory than a Storm2?

Ok, I'm running with 103.6mb free and something along the lines of 25 apps installed.

You probably have what, 45.something free with like 5-10 apps installed?

Also, I promise you the Storm1 can't run OS6. See? Anyone can make outlandish claims with no proof!
    07-07-10 02:47 AM
    Seriously? You're seriously going to boast that a unit that has half the app memory with no OS installed has more free memory than a Storm2?

Ok, I'm running with 103.6mb free and something along the lines of 25 apps installed.

You probably have what, 45.something free with like 5-10 apps installed?

Also, I promise you the Storm1 can't run OS6. See? Anyone can make outlandish claims with no proof!
    yeah the only way storm 1 will be running Os6 is in some type of hybrid, the 6.0 files I have tried on my 9530 I have seen no difference at all. I'm running 18apps and boot at 25mb.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-10-10 11:37 AM
    One more thing, not only does the S1 have half the application memory of the S2, it is also running a different processor (supports open GL remember). Even if someone was able to hack the OS6 onto the S1 you would probably have zero application memory left over and it would be slow and clunky.

One thing we should hope for is a COD rip of the webkit browser...
    07-10-10 09:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD