Well, I have to say being an iPhone 3G user, so far I am happy with the storm. But with any new mechanical device, I do expect some flaws and defects to emerge in the first few months of any new product release. Believe me, I am used to this from being an original to 3G iPhone user.

My concern is that with anything that moves and is mechanical, there will be wear and tear that will eventually cause the device to fail in some way. After only about two weeks, my screen has developed in the upper half what can only be described as a crunching sound when I click the screen there. The whole top half does this but especially in the area just above the center of the screen where the click button is located.

It kind of reminds me of the sound of sand grinding under glass. I depress lightly for the click, and if I press any harder whatsoever, I get the crunching sound. It didn't do this initially, so I am going to have to assume something deteriorated under the glass.

Talking to Verizon support today, the "dude overseas" had me do a battery pull and I explained to him it would be a while for the phone to reboot. I asked him how long a reboot should take and he said, "about a minute or so". Well, my phone takes about five minutes to reboot. So also, is that normal for the Storm?

Anyways, obviously I knew a pull wouldn't fix or diagnose a physical ailment of my device and he wants me to drop in to my local Verizon store and have them look at it.

I'm not being picky about the phone, but at this time I don't get a definitive clicking. More like a spongy and crunchy response from the top half of the screen.

Any input, advice, and experience with my problem(s) would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    01-11-09 02:49 AM
    replace it...crunch is not good
    01-11-09 02:58 AM
    captain crunch?
    01-11-09 03:10 AM
    I would get a replacement. Some people have had this problem here on the forums, and its a defect. My storm doesn't have that at all.

And for the reboot, mine takes about a minute, maybe a bit more, but not 5 minutes. My verizon rep told me max it should take about 3 minutes for the storm to boot up.

So, I would say get a replacement, but that is just me.

Good luck!
    01-11-09 03:18 AM
    Well, I have to say being an iPhone 3G user, so far I am happy with the storm. But with any new mechanical device, I do expect some flaws and defects to emerge in the first few months of any new product release. Believe me, I am used to this from being an original to 3G iPhone user.

My concern is that with anything that moves and is mechanical, there will be wear and tear that will eventually cause the device to fail in some way. After only about two weeks, my screen has developed in the upper half what can only be described as a crunching sound when I click the screen there. The whole top half does this but especially in the area just above the center of the screen where the click button is located.

It kind of reminds me of the sound of sand grinding under glass. I depress lightly for the click, and if I press any harder whatsoever, I get the crunching sound. It didn't do this initially, so I am going to have to assume something deteriorated under the glass.

Talking to Verizon support today, the "dude overseas" had me do a battery pull and I explained to him it would be a while for the phone to reboot. I asked him how long a reboot should take and he said, "about a minute or so". Well, my phone takes about five minutes to reboot. So also, is that normal for the Storm?

Anyways, obviously I knew a pull wouldn't fix or diagnose a physical ailment of my device and he wants me to drop in to my local Verizon store and have them look at it.

I'm not being picky about the phone, but at this time I don't get a definitive clicking. More like a spongy and crunchy response from the top half of the screen.

Any input, advice, and experience with my problem(s) would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    First off all Verizon customer service call centers are in the US .Second I would exchange the phone at your nearest Verizon store
    01-11-09 03:42 AM
    Ya, I figured as much. Especially about the boot up time.

The "tech" on the phone said at first it should take a minute to reboot. Then I told him how long mine takes and he tried to play it off like, "oh ya, depending on how many apps you have on the phone, it might take 3 or 4 minutes". I asked him why he told me initially one minute. His answer was, "well it depends". I pressed for a more defined answer on what it depends on, and why mine takes 5+ minutes, and could get nowhere with him.

Anyways, the screen issue is making me uneasy for sure. Off to the store tomorrow. Good thing it's about a quarter mile away from my house, in a very large shopping mall here in Aventura(MIA). Meaning, they have good stock and should be able to replace on the spot if need be.
    01-11-09 03:44 AM
    First off all Verizon customer service call centers are in the US .Second I would exchange the phone at your nearest Verizon store
    Notice the quotes around "dude overseas"? It was an inference to the dialect and accent I got on the phone. Not a direct geographical reference. Maybe I should have said, the "dude in outerspace", as an inference to the comprehension level he possessed in helping my physical defect with a "battery pull" and asking if it still crunched after reboot.
    01-11-09 03:49 AM
    yeah mine does the "crunch". mostly when clicking in the middle or near middle of the screen. not the outer edges. i have a replacement coming in the mail monday, not for this tho, for the huge gap and dust under the screen (among many other things)
    01-11-09 04:30 AM
    mine takes about 5 minutes as well. go figure.
    01-11-09 04:49 AM
    Wow. I just made a self discovery on the issue.

There seems to be two layers of protective film that shipped on the screen. I took the top layer off, thinking this was the only layer on it. Then I put my own screen protector on, not knowing there was another sheet under it. After looking closely at the screen while clicking, I noticed the protector wanted to peel off at the top.

Well, I took my layer off, clicked a couple more times, and much to my surprise, there was another sheet trying to peel off. It was getting stuck to the top edge of the phone now. I peeled it off, and voila! The phone now clicks better, and also doesn't crunch when I try to duplicate the crunch.

Please look ultra closely and see if you have a layer that you virtually can not see unless you are right on top of it. That may be an issue solver for some.

I am going to put another screen protector on and see how goes.
    01-11-09 05:12 AM
    Hopefully I didn't overlook that when i put my screen protector on. Waste of a perfectly good protector.
    01-11-09 05:14 AM
    Well.

I just put the new screen protector on, and yes indeed.

The crunch is gone!

It seems that with my phone, the crunch was somehow caused by the factory installed 2nd layer of screen protection. I absolutely could not tell it was there until I looked closely and saw a small part of it starting to peel away. I thought somehow the glass was damaged, but in fact it was a second layer put on the screen.

Now the phone with my screen protector does not crunch at all, and the click is indeed very responsive.

Please pass this tidbit out to those who may have the crunch and see if they can remedy the situation by peeling off a second layer of plastic on the screen that they may not know about.

Hopefully it is as simple as this, but I have a feeling others may not be so lucky.

I definitely want to keep this phone because my pin is 30555CFC and my home address street number is 3055. I live in Miami and my area code is 305 also.Too coincidental to give up this particular phone.
    01-11-09 05:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD