The success of this device now solely depends on the App Center?

I love the phone, unfortunately it could have used at least one more update before it was released. That being said, once things get rolling and developers start making programs for this device, how long is it going to take for Verizon to drop the ball and charge way too much, not let developers put stuff out there for free and totally put a "RED" hex on this?

The amount of apps out there make the Iphone truly a neat thing just because of the progs for it. The phone isint that great but the progs for it are really cool. I just hope that VZ sees this and encourages developers to do the same with their device as it could actually turn into an Iphone killer? Maybe killer is too far so maybe we'll use maim'er.

The one good thing is that you can get progs from anywhere for a BB and I am sure CB is the place to be.
    11-25-08 08:16 AM
    I agree. The App Store should be the savior for the Storm. But Verizon has a history of raping its customers pockets, with very little to account for. It took them YEARS to catch on to an 'Unlimited Text Plan'.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-25-08 08:19 AM
    I totally agree that a well-marketed app store that is given attention by developers will do amazingly well. not as well at apple's app store, due to different focuses and developer trends, but then again i have an ipod touch for that...
    11-25-08 08:24 AM

I love the phone, unfortunately it could have used at least one more update before it was released. That being said, once things get rolling and developers start making programs for this device, how long is it going to take for Verizon to drop the ball and charge way too much, not let developers put stuff out there for free and totally put a "RED" hex on this?

The amount of apps out there make the Iphone truly a neat thing just because of the progs for it. The phone isint that great but the progs for it are really cool. I just hope that VZ sees this and encourages developers to do the same with their device as it could actually turn into an Iphone killer? Maybe killer is too far so maybe we'll use maim'er.

The one good thing is that you can get progs from anywhere for a BB and I am sure CB is the place to be.
    Hey Steve!

Right on the money. I think VZW's downfall is OS's (UI's) and apps. The storm is definitely an opportunity for the company to turn some of these things around. I'd like to see them open up to developers and not have so much will to be close minded with the app store (center, what have you). Although BB is usually a lot better with that because of its own platform. The greatness of phones like iPhone and devices running android is not only what they currently have to offer, but the potential they have because of the open source nature of the OS. If VZW and RIM can adapt some of that philosophy with the Storm and get some fresh ideas and challenge BB developers to get up to speed with times and trends, I think that would ultimately be of value to VZW and RIM, not to mention the consumer.

Just my opinion, not Gospel.
    Cheers!
    11-25-08 08:38 AM
    Hey Steve!

Right on the money. I think VZW's downfall is OS's (UI's) and apps. The storm is definitely an opportunity for the company to turn some of these things around. I'd like to see them open up to developers and not have so much will to be close minded with the app store (center, what have you). Although BB is usually a lot better with that because of its own platform. The greatness of phones like iPhone and devices running android is not only what they currently have to offer, but the potential they have because of the open source nature of the OS. If VZW and RIM can adapt some of that philosophy with the Storm and get some fresh ideas and challenge BB developers to get up to speed with times and trends, I think that would ultimately be of value to VZW and RIM, not to mention the consumer.

Cheers!
    They are open to developers, hence DevCon back in Nov. For an in depth look at the App Center (which is slated for Mar '09) read here.
    11-25-08 08:44 AM
    as long as it's not just Get It Now for BBs i'll be happy... mmm $15 for a tetris game :-/

If you look at the Apple Apps store most of the apps are $1-$3 or so. VERY affordable.

I'm not spending $10 on small apps and games tho. No way.
    11-25-08 09:07 AM
    They are open to developers, hence DevCon back in Nov. For an in depth look at the App Center (which is slated for Mar '09) read here.
    Yeah, I do know they are open to developers. I was just saying that I hope VZW doesn't get stingy with it and I hope they are both encouraging developers to increase their efforts (which i'm sure they are due to the emphasis on the app center).

Also, I'm not currently a BB user, but will be when I get my storm. I may be speaking out of complete ignorance, but I've seen a couple of screen shots for BB apps, and they look quite dated. Maybe I didn't look around enough, I don't know. Perhaps some of you experienced folks may be able to shed some light on that for me.

Cheers folks!
    11-25-08 09:22 AM
    I know there was devcon, and I know there are developers, but the whole "community developer" aspect of the itunes app store really makes for some fun and attractive offerings, and thats why the iphone has such a large consumer base, i have all sorts of free and fun applications on my ipod touch, and i dont see the storm having such offerings, but they are different beasts
    11-25-08 09:28 AM
    Hey Steve!

Cheers!
    Totally agree... 70% of the success of the iPhone has been the app store (my opinion). That's the first thing my friends bring up when I ask them what is so great about the iPhone. There are a ton of useful and fun apps (and even some totally pointless apps... lmao). RIM, if you're listening... make the development process easy and fun so that all will want to contribute... THAT will sell your phones to the masses!
    11-25-08 09:58 AM
    Totally agree... 70% of the success of the iPhone has been the app store (my opinion). That's the first thing my friends bring up when I ask them what is so great about the iPhone. There are a ton of useful and fun apps (and even some totally pointless apps... lmao). RIM, if you're listening... make the development process easy and fun so that all will want to contribute... THAT will sell your phones to the masses!
    hear-hear!
    11-25-08 10:05 AM

I just hope that VZ sees this and encourages developers to do the same with their device as it could actually turn into an Iphone killer?

I have mentioned this in a couple of posts also and agree that this is going to be the key to big time success or mediocrity.

Coming from a Treo, there is nothing like having a million and one apps to totally make your device what you want it to be.
    11-25-08 10:06 AM
    if it hinges on the app store, they're in trouble. their app store BLOWS right now. you would think they would release the SDK early enough to have apps ready for the launch date.
    11-25-08 10:07 AM
    if it hinges on the app store, they're in trouble. their app store BLOWS right now. you would think they would release the SDK early enough to have apps ready for the launch date.
    well it's kind of a vicious cycle, not nearly as many people know about the storm or their app offerings so it doesnt get as much use or traffic so developers dont have fun with it so people dont use it so developers dont.... you get it...
    11-25-08 10:11 AM
    if it hinges on the app store, they're in trouble. their app store BLOWS right now.
    Of course it does... it hasn't launched yet (mar '09)
    you would think they would release the SDK early enough to have apps ready for the launch date.
    They did... BlackBerry - Developer Beta Software
    11-25-08 10:14 AM
    Absolutely not. Even without the app store (which should be phenomenal once 3rd party developers populate it), this phone has exceeded my expectations. While I wanted eye candy, it definitely suits my needs already.
    11-25-08 10:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD