Is there something I have to do myself to get the 3G network on my Storm?
    11-25-08 08:55 AM
    Is there something I have to do myself to get the 3G network on my Storm?
    Does your phone say "1XEV" by the reception bars? If so, you have 3G.
    11-25-08 09:00 AM
    I am confused with this one myself. My biz VZW rep told me they are already on the 3g network. I think the 1XEV is the 3G network.

I do not really see any speed on internet browsing. But phone calls are very clear. Then again, that might be the phone itself.

I would like confirmation on that too and how we can tell if we are on the 3G network.
    11-25-08 09:00 AM
    Does your phone say "1XEV" by the reception bars? If so, you have 3G.
    if thats the case, why is internet browsing so slow? is it cause I am using the BB browser?
    11-25-08 09:01 AM
    I am confused with this one myself. My biz VZW rep told me they are already on the 3g network. I think the 1XEV is the 3G network.

I do not really see any speed on internet browsing. But phone calls are very clear. Then again, that might be the phone itself.

I would like confirmation on that too and how we can tell if we are on the 3G network.
    Yes, 1XEV is the 3G network. Verizon runs on the EV-DO network. You have 3G. The "3G" icon is for GSM users.
    11-25-08 09:02 AM
    If your phone says '1XEV' in the upper right-hand corner, you're on VZW's 3G network. You will only get the 3G symbol if you're overseas on a 3G GSM network.
    11-25-08 09:02 AM
    if you are referring to the "3G" symbol coming up on your Storm, that will only happen on GSM.

1xEV is 3G on CDMA.
    11-25-08 09:03 AM
    if thats the case, why is internet browsing so slow? is it cause I am using the BB browser?
    I don't know. Connection speeds vary in different places. Your browser might not be configured properly. Do a quick forum search to see how other users have their Storm browser set up.
    11-25-08 09:03 AM
    I was also surprised at just how slow the browser seems when using this supposedly wonderful 3G.

I have heard that Opera Mini is supposed to be pretty good though. I might give it a shot since it's supposed to load things faster than the BlackBerry Browser
    11-25-08 09:05 AM
    Well this was the first forum that I started and it was a major success!!! Thanks so much! I do indeed have the
    "1XEV" symbol, so everything is fine. The salesperson at Verizon didnt have a clue! LOL! Onve again, thanx to all that responded!!
    11-25-08 09:08 AM
    The salesperson at Verizon didnt have a clue!
    Most reps don't. There are many helpful reps on Crackberry though that are always helping people out. Anyways, welcome to CrackBerry, and enjoy your new device!
    11-25-08 09:13 AM
    I would like some other thoughts on my Theory with this...

Correct me if I am wrong but when VZW originally released their EVDO network it was classified as a "2.5G" network. Then VZW released EVDO Rev. A, which is their official "3G" network. Now that this preface is out of the way, time for my theory.

I have noticed 4 different status symbols on my network indicator. One is a D then status bars...1X then status bars...1Xev then status bars...and lastly 1XEV then status bars.

Notice their is a difference between 1Xev and a capitalized version of 1XEV. My theory is 1Xev is their old 2.5G network and 1XEV is their new 3G network...thoughts?
    11-25-08 09:25 AM

Correct me if I am wrong but when VZW originally released their EVDO network it was classified as a "2.5G" network. Then VZW released EVDO Rev. A, which is their official "3G" network. Now that this preface is out of the way, time for my theory.

I have noticed 4 different status symbols on my network indicator. One is a D then status bars...1X then status bars...1Xev then status bars...and lastly 1XEV then status bars.

Notice their is a difference between 1Xev and a capitalized version of 1XEV. My theory is 1Xev is their old 2.5G network and 1XEV is their new 3G network...thoughts?
    I don't know what D is but I'm pretty sure 1X= roaming on another carrier, 1XEV= 3G network with data, and 1Xev is no data. I had the Curve on Sprint which runs on the EV-DO network and ran on Rev 0. I could very well be wrong.
    11-25-08 09:33 AM

Correct when it is all caps you are the best throughput....ie 3g
    11-25-08 09:36 AM

Part of this is incorrect, if not all.

1X = non-evdo speed, but has Blackberry/RIM network connectivity
    1x = non-evdo speed and no Blackberry/RIM network connectivity
    1XEV = evdo speed and has Blackberry/RIM network connectivity
    1xev = evdo speed, but no Blackberry/RIM network connectivity

It's important to realize that with 1x or 1xev that your RIM data connectivity is off line, but that carrier specific data is still up, so things that don't depend upon RIM's Blackberry infrastructure to work will still work. (i.e. OperaMini configured to use SOCKS will still work, but Blackberry Browser will not.)

Also, currently there is no way to tell if 1XEV or 1xev (the EV/ev part) is Rev0 or RevA, but since Verizon is RevA on pretty much every Verizon tower, you're probably looking at RevA speeds.
    11-25-08 09:44 AM
    Correct when it is all caps you are the best throughput....ie 3g
    All CAPS designates is that the BB currently has RIM data connectivity. Nothing more.
    11-25-08 09:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD