As a frustrated Verizon customer who was waiting for the Storm to come out, I have been somewhat disappointed by the reviews thus far. It seems like the STORM has been more like a drizzle. Have the new firmware updates made the phone user friendly yet, or are there still major issues that need to be addressed??

I am a Blackberry virgin. Verizon is releasing the OMNIA and the TOUCH PRO this week. This may push me in the other direction. So what's the scoop????
    12-02-08 12:37 PM
    Well as a former HTC touch owner, I like the storm much better. The click technology makes it much easier to use and the interface is much better to move around in than WinMo. if you are talking about user friendly and comparing BB to Winmo - no comparisson - BB wins (and I am new to BB). i do miss the ability to customize but that is about it.
    12-02-08 12:39 PM
    4.7.0.76 isn't out yet, so it can't make anything better... Ok 4.7.0.75 ( Leak) does make a difference, but it's pre-release and still buggy ( but much better than .65 )
    12-02-08 12:47 PM
    And - for the love of God, if you have ever used Palm's interface, you'll enjoy BB's more. There are sooo many options (at least if you have BIS) it makes Palm's software appear extremely limited.
    12-02-08 12:49 PM
    4.7.0.76 isn't out yet, so it can't make anything better... Ok 4.7.0.75 ( Leak) does make a difference, but it's pre-release and still buggy ( but much better than .65 )
    **Edit Multiple Post***
    12-02-08 12:51 PM

.76 is out however is stilling be tested and not been released to all and has been confirmed to have fixed a few more issues however it had broken a few things as well.. I'm sticking with .75 for a while.
    12-02-08 12:52 PM
    I wish to express my disappointment at the new storm collected last week in a Vodafone store in Blackrock, Dublin, Ireland.

I have many issues are as follows

Battery life not at all satisfactory – after charging for 16 hours as recommended(Vodafone) and repeating this on 3 occassions.What business person can survive with this amount of reduced change 5 – 6 hours of use.
    The device does not suit people who need to keep it in their pocket as it bleeps with each movement --- if this is switched off the alerts don’t work?
    The device sometimes switches off or mutes if you are on a call and the screen touches your face where the buttons are – not good.
    Making a call takes too many actions not like the previous Blackberry’s.
    Downloading media not working correctly and too slow if it manages to work at all.
    The screen is to slow to react the the changes once you tap the screen for landscape to portrait – or to another application.

As I have had the Blackberry devices for about 7 years in work and a personal one also for a period before that –I am very familiar with the benefits of the email and the sync of the MS outlook and I have recommended the curve to friends. I love the curve and expected an improved version when I upgraded to the storm.

I am at home all day these days(recovering from surgery) playing with my new device so I have plenty of time to familiarize myself with the various aspects of the phone and I am still frustrated to **** with the poor quality of the phone.

Vodafone will not change the phone and I wish to go back to the curve and cancel my contract with Vodafone for the Storm. They want me to return it for testing and replace it if they find fault with it – I do not like being the guinea pig or quality controller for RIM!

It has been a complete waste of my time as I feel you like Apple have sold a product that DOES NOT DO WHAT IT SAYS IT DOES EFFCIENTLY AND WITHOUT FUSS.

I am a very dissatisfied customer of RIM and Vodafone.
    12-02-08 12:57 PM
    Another low post drive by from someone who doesn't own it.
    12-02-08 12:59 PM
    A "user" friendly device depends on ONE MAJOR POINT the USER.
    12-02-08 01:21 PM
    Another low post drive by from someone who doesn't own it.
    EXACTLY!!! Don't whine about a phone you don't even have. I love mine.
    12-02-08 01:24 PM
    As a frustrated Verizon customer who was waiting for the Storm to come out, I have been somewhat disappointed by the reviews thus far. It seems like the STORM has been more like a drizzle. Have the new firmware updates made the phone user friendly yet, or are there still major issues that need to be addressed??

I am a Blackberry virgin. Verizon is releasing the OMNIA and the TOUCH PRO this week. This may push me in the other direction. So what's the scoop????
    Please, please, please...you need to base your opinion of the Storm on YOUR experience with it...not with reviews. My buddy just yesterday went out and bought the Touch Pro, he had a Curve, and just hated it - cool UI but it is so S..L..O..W.. in comparison with a BB.

I bought the Storm the day it came out and am in love with it. I have only had a few issues with it - mainly the accelerometer not responding quickly. The .75 update fixed this and the phone is ridiculously awesome!

Buy it. You have 30 days to return or exchange if you don't like it.
    12-02-08 01:28 PM
    The .75 update is much better for now .76 will be leaked soon .75 made me not return the device I got the pearl flip as back up smoother than storm for now

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-02-08 01:37 PM
    please don't listen to people who tell you not to listen to the reviews. I ordered two storms. They were a nightmare. I got them yesterday and got severe anxiety to the point I wanted to come out of my skin. Nothing worked, it froze, it stayed with a blank screen and wouldn't let me do anything. I updated software this morning and while it did some improvements not enough to want me to keep it. The screen is too generic and the dust under the screen will def petrify me. It has way to many problems and for being a smart phone you have to do like five things to type a text message and it only lets you type like two sentences. This is a bad phone. Beware and don't buy it. Get rid of it if it gives you the slightest bit of anxiety. I did however love the music player sound and headphones. I hated the slow typing. I text fast and this berry could not keep up for the life of it. If you are a quick texter and typer do not get this phone. I'm trying out the dare now. If it doesn't suit me I will go for the curve. The dare is proving to be more user friendly. And it is smaller and fits better in hand. It takes a better pic too. As soon as you press the key it takes pic. on storm it took a minute to register. I am so disappointed. I so wanted to love this phone and be cool......what can ya do....it sucks.
    12-02-08 01:57 PM
    Haha, have fun with your Dare. A Dare does not compare to a Blackberry at all. You cannot do anything on a Dare besides text basically.

I definitely am a fast typer, and that has translated on towards the Storm. It hasn't slowed me down much at all. It takes 3 buttons to send a text message... click the icon for messages, click the icon in the corner, and hit SMS. Sending a text message on a Dare should be about the same amount of clicks.

Also, what do you mean by the storm screen is too 'generic?' Please, learn the meaning of the word.

I really hope you just return it and go get a Dare. If you would take the time to learn how to optimize your memory and learn your way around the device, it's really not that hard. The Dare is user friendly because it has absolutely 0 functionality.

Do I agree that the phone has problems? Yes, definitely. However, it does not have enough problems that make it unusable as the person above explains.
    12-02-08 02:09 PM
    If your alternative is a dare . . . you didn't need a BB anyway. I think it is funny . . my iPhone is cooler, my dare is easier . . .good to each his own and I mean that . . but if you want a dumb phone or multimedia phone why are you getting a BB in the first place?
    12-02-08 02:22 PM
    please don't listen to people who tell you not to listen to the reviews. I ordered two storms. They were a nightmare. I got them yesterday and got severe anxiety to the point I wanted to come out of my skin. Nothing worked, it froze, it stayed with a blank screen and wouldn't let me do anything. I updated software this morning and while it did some improvements not enough to want me to keep it. The screen is too generic and the dust under the screen will def petrify me. It has way to many problems and for being a smart phone you have to do like five things to type a text message and it only lets you type like two sentences. This is a bad phone. Beware and don't buy it. Get rid of it if it gives you the slightest bit of anxiety. I did however love the music player sound and headphones. I hated the slow typing. I text fast and this berry could not keep up for the life of it. If you are a quick texter and typer do not get this phone. I'm trying out the dare now. If it doesn't suit me I will go for the curve. The dare is proving to be more user friendly. And it is smaller and fits better in hand. It takes a better pic too. As soon as you press the key it takes pic. on storm it took a minute to register. I am so disappointed. I so wanted to love this phone and be cool......what can ya do....it sucks.
    lol a dare really?!

to the original poster though. i bought mine on the first day. my screen in the lower left corner has trouble clicking but i did the quick fix and it worked for awhile until last night when it was mushy again. but today it's clicking like a pro again. must've been that brand new rubber armor i bought it.

i have the .75 version loaded. everything works much better than what it was shipped with it. i am overall happy with the phone. of course there are issues with it. it's a brand new phone. if you haven't noticed technology is becoming increasingly fragile all over the place not just phones. for example i bought a lg voyager last year the day it came out and it had a issue were if you would open it the inside screen would not come on. camera would hang up if you tried to send a picture right after you take it. with future updates to the software the voyager was a fine tuned beast.

with all that being said, i'm a new blackberry user, so i don't know how often RIM updates the OS, but i'm sure with this particular phone they will be updating often. i believe this phone is more for my age bracket 18-30 who are in college or just starting a new job and need to be connected with there friends and family as well.
    12-02-08 02:29 PM
    I'm really disappointed too. I thought this was a gardening device with a name like the Storm bit there's no water coming out of my Storm to water my plants. And I thought the click screen should be a really loud click like the old devices that let you roll dice in board games, but it's really quiet and you don't have to push down very hard. Also the high resolution screen makes it hard for me to see the individual pixels which isn't cool, and the text is too small so it's hard to read. Also the OS is way too complicated, like I have to hit a button to go to messages and then another button to actually type something, like wtf is that. It sucks! Also I find the LED very annoying because I have ADHD and can't concentrate on other like warcraft and myspace when the led light comes on because it distracts me. This phone blows, my voyager/dare/iphone is way cooler and better.
    12-02-08 02:36 PM
    Please go away... your BS is giving me too much anxiety! you obviously never had a BB storm or you wouldn't put such trash out here and praise your puny DARE. Get a life and get over your anxiety already!
    12-02-08 02:44 PM
    I am a big berry fan and up until .75 was gonna return but now I love.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-02-08 02:49 PM
    I find the Storm to be very easy to learn and navigate? Coming from simpler phones I was a bit worried at first that with so many features I would have a hard time figuring out how to do things, but it really has been easy. I'm certainly no power user, but I haven't had to read the manual for anything...it has either been easy to figure out on the phone or just a matter of reading this forum. Oh yeah, the phone works GREAT!
    12-02-08 03:05 PM
    You know what kills me is that virtually everyone who bitches about the Storm doesn't know truly how to use a BlackBerry! I came from a long line of Treo's (300 > 600 > 650 > 755) and the thought of having a semi-smartphone like the iPhone just made me cringe. Then came the Storm. Alas, a device that can actually do everything I want, out of the box without any additional apps, and do it well! I was ecstatic about the release of the Storm and was counting down the days until it was released.....and then I demoed the device in the store. HORRIBLE.....or so I thought. The device would take 2 minutes to launch applications, it froze up on me, crashed once and perpetually had the hour glass up. Then a kind Verizon rep asked me "have you ever used a BB before"? I was thinking "I've used Treo smartphones for the past 6-7 years; does it really matter"? Well, to my surprise, IT DOES MATTER! If you use a palm or any other non-windows based phone, it works differently than a BB. With my palm, I could jump from app to app without ever closing anything because everything runs in the background, and very efficiently. With a BB, it works differently; if you exit out of an app without closing it, it runs in the background and uses up system resources.

Guess what.....

After learning that, I went to the same demo unit, closed all the apps running in the background........and VOILA!!! Now, I'm not saying the Storm doesn't have a few bugs and some lag, but hot-damn, this thing does everthing!! Name one phone out there that can pull IM's from 5 different services, emails from 10 personal and 1 work account, calendar, tasks, contacts and text messages, without breaking a sweat?? My Treo would be dead in an hour if it was doing all of that. RIM services the corporate clientele so do you really think they're gonna let this device fall by the way side?? No way!!

I can't wait for the future updates that are going to make the apple fanboys run for cover. Thank you BB for servicing my needs!!
    12-02-08 04:53 PM
    And I quote: "It has way to many problems and for being a smart phone you have to do like five things to type a text message"

For one, a smart phone has so many different options and abilities, you have to go through some menus to get there, everything can't be as easy as touching a button.

Comparing the Storm to a Dare is a joke too. Its like comparing steak to meatloaf. Sure they might both be beef, but steak tastes much sweeter.

Don't compare the Dare to the Storm just because its as touchphone and takes good pictures.
    12-02-08 05:05 PM
    I know of something else that takes a better pic then a dare it's a <gasp> digital camera! really now. All camera phones are just bonuses for that "OMG" quick moment or an accident you may have had and need proof. They are not meant to replace digital cameras in any way. You want a really good pic, get a digital camera.
    12-02-08 05:13 PM
    Smartphones are for smartpeople
    12-02-08 05:16 PM
    @OP: Are you that much of a FLIPPING Lemming..if so the cliff is right over there ---->. Otherwise wait and try them all out in the store. I wish, and I really mean this the best way, that you and everyone else would stop, I repeat STOP, posting convince me threads. Either SHI# or get off the pot but don't ask us to help you do either.
    12-02-08 05:40 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD