05-15-09 10:21 AM
35 12
tools
    little early to be speculating I think...
    05-15-09 07:30 AM
    Storm 2 will have 5.0.XXX i believe. :-)
    05-15-09 07:38 AM
    Also if the Storm2 will have some kind of different text entry system. And these new pics do show that the 4 buttons at the bottom are now part of the screen. I wonder/hope that means they will use more of the screen for display.

BlackBerry Storm 2 Pictures Surface - A thin body and nice looks - Softpedia

So any part of the OS that deals with how the screen responds will have to be different.
    Last edited by starwatcher; 05-15-09 at 08:15 AM.
    05-15-09 08:08 AM
    My guess is that the Storm 2 will have an upgraded OS. They will want us to upgrade to the new Storm, and a new OS will help convince us to do that.
    05-15-09 08:17 AM
    They'll have a similar OS but not the exacy same OS. Don't expect to put storm 2 software on the storm 1

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-15-09 08:18 AM
    It makes sense as to why verizon is takin so long on the new OS....maybe they are waiting for the one that will go on the storm 2 since most people will just hybrid or change that OS to work with the first storm....either way im pissed because i dont like having old technoligy so now im going to have to come out of pocket for the storm 2 unless its just been sleeked down for teenage users
    05-15-09 08:30 AM
    Most likely that RIM will have Storm 1 and 2 on the same os with some minor differences dictated by the hardware of both device.

After all RIM has a history developing things in steps. So it is all good.
    05-15-09 08:36 AM
    the only possible way any storm could compete with the fluidity of the iphone os is enabling opengl hardware acceleration.

The storm renders ALL its graphics using software only. It will never ever be lag free and slick like the apple OS with this kind of gui rendering. Hardware acceleration is a must for that next level of visual performance.

The storm is doing pretty damn great considering the processor is handling all those gfx via software. That said, i think 1 of two things could be happening.

1) this is a minor redesign coming out relatively soon (within the year) to make the mechanical hardware more solid (ie, no dust, better more consistent click) with no real changes (prototype pic stilllll showed 3.2 mp cam.. if this was a major hardware revision, you'd think they'd bump the camera up as a selling point to encourage upgrading)

2) It is a VERY early prototype of what will be a major hardware redesign, which wont be out for a whiiile (sometime next year)

Either way im willing to bet the OS will be identical or verrrrry similar
    Last edited by kinggeoff; 05-15-09 at 09:10 AM.
    05-15-09 09:04 AM
    Basically 5.0 or maybe a 5.1 OS..... The question is will it have some kind of UI that will make it somewhat more competitive with the iphone of a cosmetic level.

It's not SUPPOSED to be competitive with the iphone on a cosmetic level.... It's supposed to be competitive with other BLACKBERRIES on a cosmetic level.... I think RIM is going for consistency of interface, not flashy screen effects.
    05-15-09 10:13 AM
    They'll have a similar OS but not the exacy same OS. Don't expect to put storm 2 software on the storm 1

Why do you say that? $20 says that the chipset is exactly the same in this new one as the one we have now.
    05-15-09 10:21 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD