For those of you that have Storms that are working well....did you have to delete these two applications to get the speed and performance you were looking for? Or were you able to leave them installed and still have good performance? Did it change after you upgraded to .75?
    12-24-08 02:39 AM
    Well you should remove all the apps you don't use. This holds true to any device or comuter.

As for performance it doesn't make a huge deal with the .75 or .83 but if you're running .65 still then yes it will have a huge performance improvement.
    12-24-08 02:42 AM
    Well you should remove all the apps you don't use. This holds true to any device or comuter.

As for performance it doesn't make a huge deal with the .75 or .83 but if you're running .65 still then yes it will have a huge performance improvement.
    I realize that you need to removed unused apps, but that's not my question. There were specific instances with the initial release where people noted that if they specifically removed these two apps, the Storm suddenly improved its performance markedly. They didn't point to any other apps...jsut these two. So I'm trying to determine if there was something specific about the processor cycles used by these two apps that was slowing down performance.

But thanks for the 'tip'.
    12-24-08 02:46 AM
    For me, removing the VZ NAV made the difference also updating the OS
    12-24-08 02:52 AM
    For me after uninstalling VZW Navigator and Visual Voicemail, I did notice a difference in the performance and I also did not have to reboot the Storm anymore. Prior to that I had to reboot at least once or twice a day.
    12-24-08 03:00 AM
    I don't believe you need to delete Visual Voicemail. I have deleted VZ Nav, am on .83 OS, and performance (and memory usage) seem very good.
    12-24-08 03:42 AM
    I realize that you need to removed unused apps, but that's not my question. There were specific instances with the initial release where people noted that if they specifically removed these two apps, the Storm suddenly improved its performance markedly. They didn't point to any other apps...jsut these two. So I'm trying to determine if there was something specific about the processor cycles used by these two apps that was slowing down performance.

The tip about deleting VZ Nav and VVM was a myth. No one ever has (nor have they yet) provided any demonstrable proof of any performance enhancement. People who thought they saw a speed improvement likely did so merely because they did the equivalent of a battery pull when the apps were deleted.

This is simply another example of bad information having a longer shelf life than good information. I've dispelled this myth many times, but the original tip still gets quoted even today.
    12-24-08 03:44 AM

Well I also answered your question

If you're running .65 then yes removing those apps will increase performance. It's not those apps specifically it's just the fact that they free up a lot of program memory.

If you're running .75 or .83 then removing these apps will not increase performance really.
    12-24-08 03:47 AM
    I have used visual voicemail from day one on .65 and now on .75 my storm runs fabulous..

always has
    12-24-08 03:47 AM
    The tip about deleting VZ Nav and VVM was a myth. No one ever has (nor have they yet) provided any demonstrable proof of any performance enhancement. People who thought they saw a speed improvement likely did so merely because they did the equivalent of a battery pull when the apps were deleted.

This is simply another example of bad information having a longer shelf life than good information. I've dispelled this myth many times, but the original tip still gets quoted even today.
    Not true at all. Even on a clean wipe of my device running .65 it was laggy as can be. This was on a fresh reboot and a freshly installed OS. I then proceeded to remove VZnav and it increased performance dramatically.
    12-24-08 03:49 AM
    Not true at all. Even on a clean wipe of my device running .65 it was laggy as can be. This was on a fresh reboot and a freshly installed OS. I then proceeded to remove VZnav and it increased performance dramatically.
    This merely proves my point. A fresh OS install always needs to be followed by a battery pull. The fact that you removed VZ Nav in the process was irrelevant.
    12-24-08 04:14 AM
    There is no performance improvement whatsoever. placebo effect maybe.
    12-24-08 06:26 AM
    This merely proves my point. A fresh OS install always needs to be followed by a battery pull. The fact that you removed VZ Nav in the process was irrelevant.
    After a fresh install it restarts itself, so I don't see how another battery pull is necessary.

I could do benchmark tests for you but they would yield the same results as I stated above.
    12-24-08 06:39 AM
    Thanks MKlieman. I just posted a question about this in another thread. If VVM and VZN cause problems when they are not used why? Do they load listener executables at boot? Does the space they take up in storage get used as swap space for use by the OS after removal? If removing them really has an effect someone must be able to say why. All this anecdotal stuff sounds like pseudoscience.

Speaking of performance, there is a lengthy thread that recommends folding all of your icons into folders until you get down to eight icons total on your home page. Does this really work? If so, why? Does displaying a couple of icons on the home page occupy significant operating memory? By the way, I went ahead and did this and didn't notice a change -- but then, I didn't pull out a stop watch.
    Last edited by donheff; 12-24-08 at 07:15 AM.
    12-24-08 07:12 AM
    I'm getting good performance and did *not* remove VZNav or Visual Voicemail.
    12-24-08 08:26 AM
    I have had both VzNav and VVM since day one. I use both and have since day one. Same for my wides Storm. Both have had great performance. Never saw any reason to delete them.
    12-24-08 08:40 AM
    I have had both VzNav and VVM since day one. I use both and have since day one. Same for my wides Storm. Both have had great performance. Never saw any reason to delete them.

Oh oh, don't let wifey see this post. Freudian slip maybe? hmmm.
    12-24-08 09:22 AM
    I have these installed and use them constantly with no problem with performance.... Battery life is pretty good (couple days without charge) and memory free stays in the high twentys to low thirtys. also have google maps and docs to go installed.
    12-24-08 09:45 AM
    I could do benchmark tests for you but they would yield the same results as I stated above.
    If you can do benchmarking, then please do some benchmarking. Be sure to post your testing protocol so that it can be peer reviewed and your results duplicated. I would be happy to be proven wrong.

After a fresh install it restarts itself, so I don't see how another battery pull is necessary.
    It helps. After a wipe/OS install of .83 on a never-activated replacement Storm, I had only 24 megs free memory. Did a battery pull and it popped up to 51 megs free. Always do a battery pull after installing an OS.
    12-24-08 12:35 PM

Thanks. I suspected as much. Those who claim it made a huge difference, but can't point to what specifically these apps were doing to slow down performance probably to some extent imagined better performance or forgot to factor in other variables that increased speed after deleting these two apps.

I'm looking forward to using them both when my Storm arrives next week.

Appreciate your reply.
    12-24-08 01:07 PM
    Thanks. I suspected as much. Those who claim it made a huge difference, but can't point to what specifically these apps were doing to slow down performance probably to some extent imagined better performance or forgot to factor in other variables that increased speed after deleting these two apps.

I'm looking forward to using them both when my Storm arrives next week.

Appreciate your reply.
    You're welcome.

Since you seem interested in the technical side of this question, in the interests of full disclosure, you should know that VZ Nav does add a very tiny amount of overhead when installed because it installs a listening module called SMS Wakeup. This module allows VZ Nav to receive what are called "Place Messages" from other VZ Nav phones. The module monitors your SMS inbox and looks for a particularly formatted text message, and if one is received, imports the applicable data into VZ Nav.

The overhead on this is de minimus, and it will have no appreciable impact on memory or OS performance. It will, however, make it "appear" that VZ Nav is running even when you close out the program (it will always be listed in bold text in the Advanced Options | Applications screen). Some people point to the fact that VZ Nav is apparently "always running" as evidence that it slows down the OS, not realizing that only the tiny SMS Wakeup module is active.
    12-24-08 01:24 PM
    You're welcome.

Since you seem interested in the technical side of this question, in the interests of full disclosure, you should know that VZ Nav does add a very tiny amount of overhead when installed because it installs a listening module called SMS Wakeup. This module allows VZ Nav to receive what are called "Place Messages" from other VZ Nav phones. The module monitors your SMS inbox and looks for a particularly formatted text message, and if one is received, imports the applicable data into VZ Nav.

The overhead on this is de minimus, and it will have no appreciable impact on memory or OS performance. It will, however, make it "appear" that VZ Nav is running even when you close out the program (it will always be listed in bold text in the Advanced Options | Applications screen). Some people point to the fact that VZ Nav is apparently "always running" as evidence that it slows down the OS, not realizing that only the tiny SMS Wakeup module is active.

Makes perfect sense. WIth the migration from 0.65 to 0.75, battery pulls, etc., seems like people wanted to attribute performance improvements to the wrong things. Too bad those things mushroom into urban myths on forums like this.
    12-24-08 01:37 PM
    my storm tells me that im running .75 and that this is the current version, but I see people with .83 and .85 out there.. whats up?
    01-05-09 02:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD