02-11-09 06:41 PM
76 1234
tools
    Well I turn it off at night before bed.

1.) I will be asleep and won't be answering calls or typing away
    2.) I do not want to be woken up by the phone ringing
    3.) saves battery
    02-04-09 11:03 PM
    I don't know if this is a compliment or an insult. If you read my profile it says that I "work". Enough said.

If you don't want to turn your phone off, don't. And you don't have to turn your computer off if you don't want to either.

But it's interesting that so many people who have posted in this thread say that the only time they turn their device off is when they have to do a battery pull. Makes me want to say hmmm.
    Ahh ... but you never answered so many questions ... as in ... who is "THEY" or where is the source for your statement.

As far as battery pulls ... hmmmmmm .... ever installed an app on the Storm, usually a reboot is needed. Sometimes low memory ... hmmmmmm ... not necessarily problems as you are implying. But please ... who or what is your source of knowledge on turning off a phone or PC regularly. Inquiring minds want to know!
    02-04-09 11:57 PM
    I don't know how so many people are lucky enough to have their's run all the time...If I don't pull my battery once a day it'll reboot itself and take 30 minutes to start back up...and I'm using the official OS and all 4 of my Storms have been the same way.
    02-05-09 12:47 AM
    But it's interesting that so many people who have posted in this thread say that the only time they turn their device off is when they have to do a battery pull. Makes me want to say hmmm.
    You do realize that "turning a BB off with the power button" doesn't really Turn It Off.... right? I'm just asking, that's all. (It doesn't free memory, it doesn't reboot the OS. All it does is cycle the radio off and puts it in suspend.)
    02-05-09 12:57 AM
    I turn it off everynight. If I don't I would never be able to sleep!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-05-09 01:56 AM
    You do realize that "turning a BB off with the power button" doesn't really Turn It Off.... right? I'm just asking, that's all. (It doesn't free memory, it doesn't reboot the OS. All it does is cycle the radio off and puts it in suspend.)
    That was my understanding... The Storm can only be truly 'turned off' by pulling the battery from it.

Whatever is the 'doctrine', mine is always on except for battery pulls after OS loads and when a 3rd party app fuggers it. I don't have the patience to sit through the boot sequence daily and its not necessary for me
    02-05-09 02:20 AM
    Other than random battery pulls, I never have my Storm turned off. I've had it since December 29th.
    02-05-09 04:14 AM
    since the 11th december i've not switched my storm off...
    i may have to when i go to USA in may
    02-05-09 04:22 AM
    Why is this? I turn mine off nightly. I suppose I could put it on silent, but I don't like receiving calls when I'm asleep...
    My BB is my only phone (no land line). My phone is always on, even at night time, in case I receive an "emergecy" call.
    02-05-09 04:23 AM
    I never turn my Storm off. On plane I usually turn off the network, but my BB stays on and I still use it for mp3s. callender, take notes, games etc.
    02-05-09 04:57 AM
    Do battery pulls count?

Thats the only down-time my Storm has seen since 11/21.
    02-05-09 05:03 AM

How about this. If BlackBerry didn't mean for the device to ever be powered off, then why do they provide three sources of powering them down - Power/End button and the power Icon on the device where you can complete a Turn Off or Full Power Off.

On PC's they have a button on the front of the computer and one on the back. Laptops have one and you can also shut them down by pressing in the Power Button for 10 seconds.

I know that you guys want to turn this simple power down post into brain surgery but it's not all that serious.

I guess when manufacturers make electronics they wind up with extra holes and buttons and then say "We will call that a power button, it doesn't do anything, but cosmetically it looks good".

So I propose this. When you can steal time away from bashing people here on crackberry, I would like to see you create a prototype of cellular phones and computers that do not have a Power Button. Then I want you to you shop your idea around to HP, Dell, BlackBerry, Motorola and the like. Put together focus groups and let them tinker with your invention. Then sit behind the glass mirror and listen to people ask "Where the **** is the power button?"

P.S. My avatar is especially for you.
    Last edited by blackwidowinsc; 02-05-09 at 06:14 AM.
    02-05-09 06:10 AM
    PC, laptops, servers, etc will have to be powered down for any kind of hardware changes, among other reasons, but none among them are they are "supposed to be turned off once in a while."

Your avatar is appropriate, but not necessarily for anyone else.....
    02-05-09 07:58 AM
    How about this. If BlackBerry didn't mean for the device to ever be powered off, then why do they provide three sources of powering them down - Power/End button and the power Icon on the device where you can complete a Turn Off or Full Power Off.
    For what it's worth, you're simply stating that RIM has provided three means of what appears to be "turning the phone off." Your argument does not at all counter JRSCCivic98's statement that "turning the phone off" by using any of those means does not actually power the device down.
    02-05-09 08:01 AM
    I turn my storm off (hibernate) each night. And it auto wakes with my alarm each morning. I also use soft reset to do battery pulls every 3 or4 days to get some of the leaked memory back.. Usually reclaim 10 - 15 megs each time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-05-09 08:29 AM
    My phone is turned off at night threw the off/on button.
    02-05-09 08:48 AM
    The only time I power her down is during the infrequent battery pull or a reboot after a install/remove application.

During travel, I usually just turn the radio off and hide the device during take-off/landing. I typically play with it (music, movie, document) during the flight.
    02-05-09 09:07 AM
    I know it's a stupid question but after the phone is powered down is there any way to power it up other than pulling the battery and re-inserting it? It's a real pain in the *** on a plane.
    02-11-09 02:41 PM
    no need to, unless a battery pull resets it, lol.
    02-11-09 02:43 PM
    I have never turned it off..... i pull the battery out once a week....

And it works perfectly..... and I admitt... i can never turn it off..... i feel weird without it.....
    02-11-09 05:47 PM
    nope. never turn it off. Although my Qickpull app is scheduled once a day.
    02-11-09 05:56 PM
    I have tried to sleep with my berry off in the past... but I always end up turning it on in the middle of the night anyway. so my storm hasn't been shut off except during take off and landing...
    02-11-09 05:59 PM
    mine tends to reset its self....!
    02-11-09 06:06 PM
    Nope. I put it on silent at night. What's the point in having a phone that can receive your emails and other stuff if you're just going to turn it off half the day?
    02-11-09 06:09 PM
    The Storm has a power button?! Hehe. No. I sure dont. It goes silent automatically at 10 PM and back up at 8 AM.
    02-11-09 06:37 PM
76 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD