It's just non-tech people trying to be all techie. Trust me, there's nothing wrong with leaving a PC, server, or your phone on 24/7, 365.
    Agreed. The notion is rather silly.
    02-03-09 03:08 PM
    It's always been my understanding that in general, BBs are built to never be turned off. I have never turned my Storm off outside of a few times when I have had to do a battery pull, and it's just fine. I haven't had mine long, though.
    Same here, had mine since Nov. 21. Never off except for the occasional battery pull. One of the lucky ones I guess i very rarely have to pull the battery. Running .99
    02-03-09 03:09 PM
    I keep it on all the time. If I don't want to hear it, it gets switched to Silent.

PC ethics don't apply much to a phone such as this. Servers can stay on all the time. PCs should be cycled sometimes, but only for the sake of cycling power to the drives. PC based drives tend to have a slightly (and I mean slightly) higher failure rate then server ones do if left on and spinning all the time. I've had a few PC/workstations consumer drives be active for over 2 years constant and then on a power off wouldn't spin back up. Servers tend to have much more reliable drives... especially on he SCSI line of drives.
    02-03-09 03:13 PM
    There is no reason to ever turn it off.

Turning it off at night would be (for me at least) akin to unplugging a land line phone.
    On airplanes, you can turn off the radios and most likely be good to go.
    It will charge the battery while on.

But, in the end, its your BB, treat it how you wish.
    02-03-09 03:15 PM
    It's recommended that you turn any PDA/Smartphone off for at least a few minutes each week. They are like computers, keeping them on all of the time could cause the device to have problems (freezing, random reboots, etc.).
    You're 100% wrong! I have UNIX servers that have been on for 4 years! Except for the semi-annual reboots when patches are added they never see down time! And even during a reboot the power is on.

Hey Google, Yahoo! You need to shut down your servers for a few minutes a week!
    02-03-09 03:16 PM
    I keep this sucker on. If I'm paying for it, why would I want it off? Vibrate and silent are there for a purpose

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    On vibrate, I get a sound notification if I get an e-mail or text. How can I stop that?
    02-03-09 03:27 PM
    I have never turned a cell phone of any kind off unless I was on an airplane and have never had a problem as a result. My storm has been on since I got it on Dec 17 except for a few battery pulls. When you have family all over the country you never know when someone may need to get in touch.
    02-03-09 03:31 PM
    On vibrate, I get a sound notification if I get an e-mail or text. How can I stop that?
    I'm hazarding a guess here, but check your message alert settings (they're in the SMS/MMS menu). You can set custom profiles for all your alerts. I'm not sure which of the variables, if any, would effect sound while in vibrate, though.
    02-03-09 03:32 PM
    Yeah, I have a specific sound for them. It should not go off in vibrate. That is why I am confused. Can anyone help?
    02-03-09 06:01 PM
    Off ??? Then I would be without it... It without me ?!?!?!?

Nope... Never since 11/21/08 - besides the battery pulls... It's my home phone, alarm, my everything...
    02-03-09 06:13 PM
    They certainly CAN be turned off, I just mean it's my understanding that the hardware and software have always been designed to be able to handle always being on. Make sense?
    Got it. I read it as "you shouldn't turn it off", not "you don't have to turn it off".

thanks!
    02-03-09 06:31 PM
    It's recommended that you turn any PDA/Smartphone off for at least a few minutes each week. They are like computers, keeping them on all of the time could cause the device to have problems (freezing, random reboots, etc.).
    Blackwidoinsc, this is the second time you have stated this. WHO recommends this?

I am curious as this is counter to all that I have learned and if over 20 years in tech is wrong I would like to correct it.
    You're 100% wrong! I have UNIX servers that have been on for 4 years! Except for the semi-annual reboots when patches are added they never see down time! And even during a reboot the power is on.

Hey Google, Yahoo! You need to shut down your servers for a few minutes a week!
    Something tells me Blackwidowinsc works for Verizon. Hate to tell you, but some of your training is Incorrect.
    02-03-09 08:57 PM
    Auto on/off every morning at 4:15 to 4:25.
    02-03-09 08:59 PM
    Stays on 24/7
    02-03-09 09:14 PM
    I never turn mine off. At night I just have it on bedside mode and change the profile to phone calls only. I leave it on in case of emergency's so my command can get a hold of me or my family. The only time I turn it off is take off and landings but other than that its on 24/7.
    02-03-09 09:28 PM
    I've never turned mine off.
    02-03-09 09:28 PM
    Unless I am going on a long trip then yes otherwise no...
    02-03-09 09:40 PM
    I can't turn mine off while I sleep. I use it as my bedside clock and alarm!
    Yeah, me too. I turn it off once about every 3-4 days just for the heck of it. Not for long though, especially since it's my only phone. I haven't had one of those, um....wait, what was it called.....o yeah, a landline in a LONG time

I did have a brief moment of absolute panic yesterday though when I thought I had left it on a desk at work. But fortunately for me it was just in another room
    02-04-09 06:42 PM
    Something tells me Blackwidowinsc works for Verizon. Hate to tell you, but some of your training is Incorrect.
    I don't know if this is a compliment or an insult. If you read my profile it says that I "work". Enough said.

If you don't want to turn your phone off, don't. And you don't have to turn your computer off if you don't want to either.

But it's interesting that so many people who have posted in this thread say that the only time they turn their device off is when they have to do a battery pull. Makes me want to say hmmm.
    02-04-09 07:19 PM
    I was under the (perhaps mistaken) impression that holding the END button doesn't really turn the phone "off," but rather puts it into a "deep sleep state" of sorts, thereby allowing Auto On/Off to work.

I thought the only way to really turn it off (meaning power off) is to remove the battery.

In any instance, I have never turned mine off since launch date, November 21. (unless battery pulls count)
    02-04-09 09:06 PM
    Does updating count, because it is technically off after I load new software on it, or when I pull the battery.

Other than that... No, isn't that kind of the point? That is why the bb's have such a good battery life.
    02-04-09 09:22 PM
    I have mine set for Auto on/off 11pm it turns off and at 6am it turns back on, and it turns on at 7am on the weekends.
    02-04-09 09:25 PM
    NOPE, I sleep with it under my pillow. LOL
    Lol I do the same here

I love crackberry

02-04-09 09:26 PM
    Does updating count, because it is technically off after I load new software on it, or when I pull the battery.

Other than that... No, isn't that kind of the point? That is why the bb's have such a good battery life.
    Yea true bbs are meant to be on all day

02-04-09 09:27 PM
    Always on, except for battery pulls or Quick Pull. This blows my mind - 24/7 internet presence. I would NEVER dream of leaving any of my Windows based PCs on the internet 24/7. When I am done surfing or what, I physically disconnect from the internet. Period.

Doctor Neutron
    02-04-09 09:56 PM
76 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD