I was just looking over the Verizon booklet and the different levels of service you may or may not get. I have NEVER seen the 3G on my phone EVER I only get 1XEV all the time. Is there something wrong? I would see 3G on my IPhone at least 3/4 of the time.
    03-18-09 01:10 PM
    Are you an ATT user or Verizon? 1XEV is Verizons 3G.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-18-09 01:14 PM
    I only have seen 3G on my Bold,only had it a week mind you,but it's all I've seen!

Robin
    03-18-09 01:15 PM
    Are you an ATT user or Verizon? 1XEV is Verizons 3G.

Verison, But in the Verizon booklet that came with the phone it also shows a 3G with the BB logo next to it as the highest level of service and the 1XEV as Edge and the level below it. Take a look page 39 in the tips/hints booklet.
    Last edited by Bettermost; 03-18-09 at 01:19 PM.
    03-18-09 01:17 PM
    98%+ of the time yes. BB network connection has been a bit more intermittent recently...
    03-18-09 01:19 PM
    Verizon 1XEV is the same as 3G
    03-18-09 01:22 PM
    Verizon 1XEV is the same as 3G
    Not acording to the tips booklet from Verizon. Look on page 39, thats what sent up the red flag for me. I have NEVER seen anything other than 1XEV and they are calling that the Edge network in the book not 3G
    03-18-09 01:25 PM
    1XEV in caps is 3G.
    1XEV in caps is 3G.
    this is correct.

EV-DO is 3G

Evolution-Data Optimized - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    It might say 3G if you go outside of the USA

03-18-09 01:28 PM
    Not acording to the tips booklet from Verizon. Look on page 39, thats what sent up the red flag for me. I have NEVER seen anything other than 1XEV and they are calling that the Edge network in the book not 3G
    Fly to Europe and you will get to see the 3G symbol. The 3G is for GSM carriers. CDMA carriers use the 1XEV symbol for their 3G coverage. All 3g means is third generation network. EVDO-Rev-A is verizon third generatino network and coverage is shown by the 1XEV symbol. I'm not sure what else you are looking for but in the US you will never see 3G on your phone.
    03-18-09 01:31 PM
    Take a look on page 39 of that tips and hits booklet. Its very deceiving then. The booklet has Verizons logo on it so its not really a generic manual IMO.
    03-18-09 01:32 PM
    Take a look on page 39 of that tips and hits booklet. Its very deceiving then.
    if it bothers you that much you can return the device. you have 30 days.

GSM will show 3G, AT&T and T-Mobile
    03-18-09 01:34 PM
    Fly to Europe and you will get to see the 3G symbol. The 3G is for GSM carriers. CDMA carriers use the 1XEV symbol for their 3G coverage. All 3g means is third generation network. EVDO-Rev-A is verizon third generatino network and coverage is shown by the 1XEV symbol. I'm not sure what else you are looking for but in the US you will never see 3G on your phone.
    This would be a correct statement.

03-18-09 01:34 PM
    we get what you're saying, but the booklet is NOT saying that 1XEV and EDGE are the same.... sorta.

3G is just an icon, but you'll only see that on a GSM-based network. If you read further it says you can use all that stuff SIMUTANEOUSLY (that means "at the same time"). CDMA doesn't have the capability for all that stuff at the same time due to limits in the tech.

1XEV and EDGE can only use voice OR data at once, not both together. You can send SMS or email, sure, but not MMS or use the browser while on a voice call.

To clarify further -- 1XEV and EDGE are NOT the same speed, they just have the same simultaneous-usage capabilities.

edit: damn I need to type faster... 4 responses while I was putting mine in. hahaha
    03-18-09 01:36 PM
    I have never seen that on my screen
    03-18-09 01:38 PM
    I was just looking over the Verizon booklet and the different levels of service you may or may not get. I have NEVER seen the 3G on my phone EVER I only get 1XEV all the time. Is there something wrong? I would see 3G on my IPhone at least 3/4 of the time.
    The Storm will only display the 3G when it is on a GSM network. 1XEV is the CDMA network, if you are using Verizon's network in the US, then the best that you will ever see is 1XEV.

1XEV is the CDMA equivalent of GSM's 3G.

--Maven
    03-18-09 01:44 PM
    Verison, But in the Verizon booklet that came with the phone it also shows a 3G with the BB logo next to it as the highest level of service and the 1XEV as Edge and the level below it. Take a look page 39 in the tips/hints booklet.
    You are misreading page 39. The differentiation between the 3G indicator and 1XEV/EDGE indicators refers to simultaneous voice and data. The booklet is not saying that 1XEV is the same speed as EDGE, as in fact it is equivalent to 3G service.
    See forums.crackberry.com/f86/what-rev-vzw-network-174276/

03-18-09 02:05 PM
    the phone is quad band, it does CDMA and GSM. the tips/hints are general blanket statements, describing mostly GSM examples due to a majority of blackberry users are on GSM networks, thats wha'ts all over seas. just keep that in mind when you read stuff. general examples, not specific to vzw. there is a detailed manual that comes with the cd or available at blackberry.com. check that out, should be carrier specific.
    03-18-09 02:05 PM
    As stated earlier...1XEV is the CDMA equivalent of GSM's 3G. The only place you'll see 3G if you truly want to see it is on the back of your Storm just below the battery.
    03-18-09 02:06 PM
    I always thought 3G meant data coverage + phone coverage, and you can do both at the same time. I can't do that on Verizon, if i'm on the phone data is dead.
    03-18-09 02:07 PM

I Believe this is what you are talking about "BETTERMOST"

I agree with you it makes no sense .
    if 1XEV is 3G like most of these f**kerz cry about . then WTF ? is there a 3G on top of the I Have to leave USA to use browser while im on the phone ? bull**** !
    03-18-09 02:13 PM
    As stated earlier...1XEV is the CDMA equivalent of GSM's 3G. The only place you'll see 3G if you truly want to see it is on the back of your Storm just below the battery.
    LMAO . I Found It .
    03-18-09 02:14 PM
    This really shows how good Apple is at marketing their device when they don't even know why it should or shouldn't be there. People are desperate to have a 3G logo on their phone because the term is so popular and was made popular by Apple.

Verizon has had a "3G" network long before the iPhone people.
    03-18-09 02:17 PM
    I always thought 3G meant data coverage + phone coverage, and you can do both at the same time. I can't do that on Verizon, if i'm on the phone data is dead.
    yupperz this is what i thought as well .
    i've been played .
    03-18-09 02:17 PM
218 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD