It will "update" your Storm with an OLDER version of the 4.7 OS...

I just talked to Verizon, and I have to "sit tight" until their new OS becomes available... whenever that is.
    11-21-08 11:57 AM
    Surely OS updates are not automatic. Can't I sync my music without the old OS being installed?
    11-21-08 12:03 PM
    It will "update" your Storm with an OLDER version of the 4.7 OS...

I just talked to Verizon, and I have to "sit tight" until their new OS becomes available... whenever that is.

Are you talking about the 4.7 that was available for download off the site? I will be getting my Storm on Monday but I already loaded that onto my laptop. Should I uninstall it?
    11-21-08 12:07 PM
    I used Desktop Manager to transfer my settings and did what it called a Downgrade then an Upgrade... the final version was 0.65, the same as it shipped with.... so yeah it was a little odd but it turned out ok!

I was worried for a second though...
    11-21-08 12:08 PM
    What effects will it have? I already did a 'switch device' to get my contacts
    11-21-08 12:10 PM
    yeah i ran it twice and it kept the fctory frimware..same as it shipped with!
    to sync music, if you want, enable your bb as a mass storage device. plug it into the computer and open my computer. open the icon (it will be a removable device) and open the music folder. you can drag and drop your songs there w/o using the desktop manager. Use mp3s.

Hope this helps..good luck.
    I used Desktop Manager to transfer my settings and did what it called a Downgrade then an Upgrade... the final version was 0.65, the same as it shipped with.... so yeah it was a little odd but it turned out ok!

I was worried for a second though...
    The Platform changes though... Mine is now (4.0.0.76)
    11-21-08 12:11 PM
    ... Don't use DM if you CAN'T READ.
    If you clicked on device switch or whatever...
    you should uncheck the box that basically tells you it'll copy the software version or whatever.
    i did that and everything is fine...
    just read.
    11-21-08 12:23 PM
    if you guys actually READ what the desktop software tells you instead of just spamming the next button...it SAYS, "The software bundled with this version of Desktop Manager is older than that on your device are you sure you want to install the older software"
    11-21-08 12:23 PM
    how do you reinstall the OS?
    11-21-08 12:28 PM
    No problem here with the DM shipped with the storm. Haven't yet did a music sync with iTunes but Outlook sync'd just fine. Running .65 (.76)
    11-21-08 12:34 PM
    I am running .65 platform .82 . Not sure why everyone else has .76 except me?
    11-21-08 12:41 PM
    Desktop Manager on its own cannot install anything at all. To do an installation of any software (Operating System or other application) UNLESS that sotware is also present on your PC.

The only way that installable BlackBerry software can get on your PC is if you or somebody else installs it.

The version of Desktop Manager (current latest version 4.7) that you download from the Blackberry.com site does not install any software other than itself.

I have not seen the Storm install CD so I do not know what other options RIM have included but if there is an older OS installed with DM than the one on your phone then I do not reccomend installing this option.

New versions of the OS come out randomly as RIM and the carriers release them. My guess is that we shall soon see a number of new STorm OS releases.
    11-21-08 12:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD