i was trying to update to OS 5.0.0.327 since I'm on unlocked and using T-Mobile, I followed all the steps in the tutorials on how to update to a leaked/beta OS, but when I'm about to install it (through DM 5.0.1) it says something about that I need to have a blackberry data plan... if it matters right now I'm on 4.7.0.75
    11-21-09 09:21 PM
    AFAIK you should be able to load a new OS without a data plan. The phone doesn't care. Use loader though, instead of DM, to avoid pesky messages like that. c:\program files\common files\apploader -> loader.exe.
    11-21-09 09:28 PM
    okay i'll do that but what about that resending the service books thing? do i need that to make the phone work or can i use it without them
    11-21-09 09:41 PM
    okay i'll do that but what about that resending the service books thing? do i need that to make the phone work or can i use it without them
    There is no point of re-sending your service book since you don't have a data plan.
    11-21-09 09:43 PM
    i went to the apploader in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader and it won't give me a choice to update, it only says "choose the application that are to be installed or removed from your device" and then gives me a list of all the apps on the phone
    11-21-09 09:53 PM
    make sure the OS is installed on the computer and delete the vendor.xml file, if you haven't yet.
    11-22-09 12:03 AM
    Don't try to get around that.. i did and i got a nuked blackberry..
    11-22-09 06:49 PM

NO. Don't worry.

Nuked berries are part of the fun of owning one
    11-22-09 06:51 PM
    do you guys know what else I could to do to upgrade, I've been trying today but haven't had any luck

were you able to recover it?

NO. Don't worry.

Nuked berries are part of the fun of owning one
    I nuked my old At&t Curve several times, but it's only fun until it's nuked and can't be recovered
    11-22-09 10:17 PM
    bump.... anybody with some help?
    12-04-09 05:06 PM
    You can upgrade... Make sure you backup your phone using the BlackBerry Desktop Manager first!!!!!

1. Remove all BlackBerry device software from your computer by going to Control Panel > Programs & Features (or Add/Remove Hardware in Windows XP).
    2. Reboot your computer.
    3. Reinstall the version of the OS you want to install on your phone to your computer.
    4. Delete the Vendor.xml file as mentioned above.
    5. Unplug your computer from the internet.
    6. Now load the OS using the Loader.exe file in the Apploader folder where you deleted the Vendor.xml file.

Note: When loading the OS, on the page where it gives you the option of what applications to load, be sure to click on Advanced and check off the boxes to delete all of the applications and data on your phone. This will make the phone reload all of the applications, etc. fresh. Once you're complete, restore your data using the backup file you created earlier and reconnect your computer to the internet.
    12-05-09 08:36 PM
    I had the same problem as you and really the thing is, if you don't have a data plan, you have to wipe your phone (I used BBSAK) and then load the OS through AppLoader.
    12-05-09 11:09 PM
    what version of BBSAK did you use?
    12-07-09 10:26 PM
    You can upgrade... Make sure you backup your phone using the BlackBerry Desktop Manager first!!!!!

1. Remove all BlackBerry device software from your computer by going to Control Panel > Programs & Features (or Add/Remove Hardware in Windows XP).
    2. Reboot your computer.
    3. Reinstall the version of the OS you want to install on your phone to your computer.
    4. Delete the Vendor.xml file as mentioned above.
    5. Unplug your computer from the internet.
    6. Now load the OS using the Loader.exe file in the Apploader folder where you deleted the Vendor.xml file.

Note: When loading the OS, on the page where it gives you the option of what applications to load, be sure to click on Advanced and check off the boxes to delete all of the applications and data on your phone. This will make the phone reload all of the applications, etc. fresh. Once you're complete, restore your data using the backup file you created earlier and reconnect your computer to the internet.
    Whats the point of disconnecting your internet? I mean, really, whats the point?
    I have wiped, installed, recovered and everything in between with no problem whatsoever and never disconnected mine. I remember in the early days of the Storm when ppl where trying to figure stuff out, someone came up with the idea of disconnecting the internet...
    12-08-09 07:05 AM
    Whats the point of disconnecting your internet? I mean, really, whats the point?
    I have wiped, installed, recovered and everything in between with no problem whatsoever and never disconnected mine. I remember in the early days of the Storm when ppl where trying to figure stuff out, someone came up with the idea of disconnecting the internet...
    Its so that DM doesn't check for software updates and prevent you from installing the OS that you want it to.
    12-08-09 12:48 PM
    what version of BBSAK did you use?
    I have version 1.7, I don't know if that's the latest or not though.
    12-08-09 07:16 PM
    Its so that DM doesn't check for software updates and prevent you from installing the OS that you want it to.
    It can check for software updates all it wants. it will only install what I select. Why would it prevent me from doing anything?
    12-09-09 11:26 AM
    I have version 1.7, I don't know if that's the latest or not though.
    okay will be trying this hopefully tonight (if i dont get lazy) or tomorrow for sure

EDIT: Mexiking, do you have working WAP and MMS?
    12-09-09 07:37 PM
    i'm trying it with the bbsak it installs but when the phone reboots and the phone is loading up the bar stays stuck at the "e" from "Blackberry" and won't any farther then that.. what could the problem be? i still have the phone connected to the pc when it reboots and it connects to the computer through the mass storage from the sd card while it's loading

EDIT: Nevermind it worked we'll see how i like the new OS so far its way more responsive
    Last edited by EMendoza93; 12-14-09 at 07:26 PM.
    12-14-09 07:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD