so when i do the up date on sunday will i lose all my downloads and the free themes that i have done or do i have to save every thing first and then done load the new OS please help me out guys thanks
    05-30-09 06:36 PM
    If you do everything correctly when you install the new OS, everything SHOULD back itself up.

HOWEVER... it is always good practice to manually back everything up before you install a new OS. So I would suggest that you back it all up, just in case.
    05-30-09 06:40 PM
    Does that apply for the ota version also seeing as all you have to do is click download?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-30-09 06:43 PM
    Does that apply for the ota version also seeing as all you have to do is click download?

Yes that would apply to the OTA update as well. Anytime you update anything, regardless of the mode chosen, its just good policy and plain common sense to do a backup first.

05-30-09 06:46 PM
    Yes that would apply to the OTA update as well. Anytime you update anything, regardless of the mode chosen, its just good policy and plain common sense to do a backup first.

Absolutely. There is never a reason to NOT do a backup. "Better safe than sorry."
    05-30-09 06:49 PM
    Absolutely. There is never a reason to NOT do a backup. "Better safe than sorry."
    To be honest I've been guilty of doing updates without backing up first. But no way would I ever do an OTA without backing up first. I'm not sure what it is but there's something just aittle less comforting about doing it OTA. Like loss of signal, and you know some people are just gonna jump right in to the update without fully charging their batteries first.

05-30-09 06:57 PM
    To be honest I've been guilty of doing updates without backing up first. But no way would I ever do an OTA without backing up first. I'm not sure what it is but there's something just aittle less comforting about doing it OTA. Like loss of signal, and you know some people are just gonna jump right in to the update without fully charging their batteries first.

Actually, your device should remain plugged into a wall charger throughout the whole OTA process.
    05-30-09 06:58 PM
    Actually, your device should remain plugged into a wall charger throughout the whole OTA process.
    Yep you n I along with many others know that....
    But how many users do you suppose are gonna pound away on their phones all day, when suddenly an update icon gets pushed to their main screen, and without hesitation, they click it without even thinking about it possibly taking 45 minutes or more?

05-30-09 07:05 PM
    But how many users do you suppose are gonna pound away on their phones all day, when suddenly an update icon gets pushed to their main screen, and without hesitation, they click it without even thinking about it possibly taking 45 minutes or more?

A TON!!!!
    05-30-09 07:06 PM
    A TON!!!!
    LMAO and I'd also bet that the VZW support lines gp crazy with people calling up only to find out that after finally recharging, they still can't do anything with the phone because of a half installed glitchy OS. You gotta have a 100% clean install or none at all. Personally I'd rather do it the old fashioned way, lol with a computer.

05-30-09 07:13 PM
    LMAO and I'd also bet that the VZW support lines gp crazy with people calling up only to find out that after finally recharging, they still can't do anything with the phone because of a half installed glitchy OS. You gotta have a 100% clean install or none at all. Personally I'd rather do it the old fashioned way, lol with a computer.

That's the way I'm going!
    05-30-09 07:25 PM
    OTA upgrade shouldn't even be an option. This would save Verizon a lot of support headaches.
    05-30-09 08:14 PM
    I manually backed mine up, just in case.
    05-30-09 10:41 PM
    how do you do a backup? and if something happens, how do you restore those backup settings?
    05-31-09 01:08 AM
    how do you do a backup? and if something happens, how do you restore those backup settings?
    All done through Desktop Manager. Very simple, you'll figure it out.

05-31-09 01:12 AM

If I remember right from the .75 update, After you clicked the icon it did give you a warning that your phone would be unusable for up to two hours. Hopefully that will slow some of the eager beavers down.
    05-31-09 01:51 AM
    i will do my upgrade through my desktop.
    05-31-09 02:16 AM
    I'm sure OTA will run fine, but fOr a DL this size, give me an ol' fashioned cable hookup every time.
    05-31-09 07:09 AM
    So to do the update on my desktop...where do I need to go? Sorry, never had to do one like this before....
    05-31-09 08:04 AM
    So to do the update on my desktop...where do I need to go? Sorry, never had to do one like this before....
    BlackBerry - Update your Device Software
    05-31-09 09:54 AM
    heres a big question I cant seem to have answered. When backing up using desktop manager...does it back up all of your "personal dictionary" ? Because i've typed more than 120 words into my dictionary and it would be the biggest pain to have to type them all again.
    05-31-09 11:09 AM
    heres a big question I cant seem to have answered. When backing up using desktop manager...does it back up all of your "personal dictionary" ? Because i've typed more than 120 words into my dictionary and it would be the biggest pain to have to type them all again.
    Yes... the backup does indeed back up the "CustomWordsCollection". You will see that during the backup process.
    05-31-09 11:17 AM
    I always back up my device before installing a new OS. Better safe than sorry!
    05-31-09 11:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD