I am a very heavy BB user and a die hard fan of the S1 and S2.

Well i had upgraded to leaked 428 a while back and the SMSs threading under one name plagued me from time-to-time.

Eventually it got to a point i t was affecting my work where i lost important messages from customers and colleagues so two weeks ago i downgraded to 320 and impatiently waited for a new leak.

320 revived a few other problems i previously faced sometimes. my finding and Important to note that none of these problems occur at the same time and most of the times didnt happen at all. They just randomly come up after a battery pull.

Sticky bottom keys
    in calls bottom keys and screen get sticky and almost non responsive... sometimes fixed by a batt pull
    edge->EDGE ->edge......
    Call Drops after 20 seconds... fixed by a batt pull

yesterday was a day of crisis with a customer, i sent and recieved 65 emails between 11:00pm and 1 am with almost 40 calls and some SMSs.

the phone just drove me so far up th wall its unbelievable. Almost made me think that the first thing i am doing in the morning is switch to BB 9700. Now that i got a few hours of sleep over it, i am willing to try a few more OS swaps.

In the end i still feel that while the hardware is probably mature the software is no where close to maturity (in my opinion)!! The fact that i need to do so many battery pulls on days with heavy usage, is a testament to that.

To RIM if anyone is reading this: PLEASE FIX THE DAMN OS

S2 is not available officially in my country, i paid $850 for mine. Thats a steep price to pay for a great phone running a BETA OS.
    Last edited by taimuramjad; 01-18-10 at 10:21 PM.
    01-18-10 10:18 PM
    well you yourself said the storm is not official in your country and therefore not meant for your network probably. So its going to have glitches because of that. Honestly if you are giving it that much of a workout in a 2 hour period im not sure anything is going be flawless. But you didnt exaclty state what it was doing wrong last night?
    01-18-10 10:27 PM
    S1 9500 is oficially sold by the GSM service provider i am connected too.

problem last night, i was facing the stickies could not end calls so had to wait for network to detect that the other person at the other end ended the call. screen was non-responsive between calls. and would go randomly to home screen or just prompt if i wanted to end call or go to homescreen with the call remaining active.

screen would get tough to press while composing sms and i had to force type deleting several times to get a two word message accross.

is it still happening? no its working perfectly...

i am tempted to go spend $120 to swap to a new GSM version (9520) or swap to bold 9700 but that would bring the S2 kitty to $1k .
    Last edited by taimuramjad; 01-18-10 at 10:44 PM.
    01-18-10 10:40 PM
    S1 9500 is oficially sold by the GSM service provider i am connected too.

problem last night, i was facing the stickies could not end calls so had to wait for network to detect that the other person at the other end ended the call. screen was non-responsive between calls. and would go randomly to home screen or just prompt if i wanted to end call or go to homescreen with the call remaining active.

screen would get tough to press while composing sms and i had to force type deleting several times to get a two word message accross.

is it still happening? no its working perfectly...

i am tempted to go spend $120 to swap to a new GSM version (9520).
    the 9520 is probably the better choice for your network. and i am pretty sure the newest OS out there will fix the screen issues you talk about.
    01-18-10 10:43 PM
    Unfortunately I am having the call drop issue too from time to time. I have the 9550 with OS .320 on a GSM network. RIM sucks because this phone is long overdue for an OS upgrade.
    01-18-10 10:49 PM
    Unfortunately I am having the call drop issue too from time to time. I have the 9550 with OS .320 on a GSM network. RIM sucks because this phone is long overdue for an OS upgrade.
    why does RIM suck....load 428, its your fault its not on your phone not RIMs
    01-18-10 10:51 PM
    428 has its share of problems too....
    01-18-10 10:57 PM
    I have a CDMA S2 on Verizon.
    No dropped calls.
    No issues.
    Running .428
    01-18-10 10:59 PM
    i agree with Howarmat 428 is better in terms of call quality and i cant remeber calls dropping as much but they did, abattery pull would fix it. I could not stay with 428 because of SMS threading issues which occured every now and then.

As Houstonn said
    428 has its share of problems too
    01-18-10 11:12 PM
    why does RIM suck....load 428, its your fault its not on your phone not RIMs
    Is .428 officially released?? No, I don't think so... therefore what you had to say was irrelevant.
    01-18-10 11:27 PM
    Is .428 officially released?? No, I don't think so... therefore what you had to say was irrelevant.
    is the 9550 an official phone on your GSM carrier??
    01-18-10 11:34 PM
    428 has its share of problems too....
    Okay but, it has considerably less issues than .320.
    01-18-10 11:45 PM
    I want to know how you did 65 emails, 40 phone calls, and some texts in a two hour period?? I don't think that is physically possible lol.
    01-19-10 12:42 AM
    it is possible when you are working in Sales for a Telcom company and used to exchanging average 270+ emails a day with countless calls.

and this was a crisis situation so it could have been more than it actually was...
    01-19-10 01:47 AM
    Sorry to hear about your issues..regardless it's still a great phone.
    01-19-10 02:34 AM
    I had SMS issues on 428 where SMS messages fell under one contact...Using the 436 hybrid, it is no longer issue. I would recommend trying the 436 hybrid.
    01-19-10 02:39 AM
    it is possible when you are working in Sales for a Telcom company and used to exchanging average 270+ emails a day with countless calls.

and this was a crisis situation so it could have been more than it actually was...
    Well its simple math. If each phone call is 3 minutes long, thats 2 hours right there, without the emails or texts. It is written to sound like the 65 emails, 40 phone calls, and some sms were all exchanged with one person. 65 emails in 2 hours time is a lot in itself, if you take into accound you have to type (on your phone) then send, they recieve, type reply, send, then you recieve, type, then reply. That takes a decent amount of time.

All I'm saying is for 65 emails exchanged, 40 phones calls made and recieved, and some sms, 2 hours isn't enough time for anything more than 10 second (which seems pointless) phone calls, and 10 word (pointless again) emails......
    01-19-10 02:44 AM
    I'm using a 9550 on a GSM network where the Storm2 is also unsupported but I have no problems with it. I'm on a hybrid OS (428/436).
    01-19-10 02:46 AM
    It is surprising how slow RIM is at fixing wonky software.
    01-19-10 03:23 AM
    Well its simple math. If each phone call is 3 minutes long, thats 2 hours right there, without the emails or texts. It is written to sound like the 65 emails, 40 phone calls, and some sms were all exchanged with one person. 65 emails in 2 hours time is a lot in itself, if you take into accound you have to type (on your phone) then send, they recieve, type reply, send, then you recieve, type, then reply. That takes a decent amount of time.

All I'm saying is for 65 emails exchanged, 40 phones calls made and recieved, and some sms, 2 hours isn't enough time for anything more than 10 second (which seems pointless) phone calls, and 10 word (pointless again) emails......
    OK well i didnt expect to go through pin point surgery here or i would have been more accurate...
    actual emails could have been 70, calls could have been 30...? most were undere a minute because we were asking questions back and fourth.

There were 6 memebers of my team working on different sections of the assignement at hand. actual time could have been 15 minutes less or 30 minutes more. Since you are doing all the number crunching why dont you add two battery pulls as well!!??

Point is handset was a menace when i needed it the most... Its a premium handset at a premium price, dont we deserve a more reliable phone at that price that simply works when you need it too? Simple rant about the buggy software - calculate that!!
    01-19-10 05:07 AM
    All you're ever gonna get in here is a bunch of people making excuses for RIM and crying user error.
    01-19-10 05:38 AM
    rim has nothing to do with the update taking so long blame your carrier i know i blame mine (big red)
    01-19-10 06:42 AM
    I'm using a 9550 on a GSM network where the Storm2 is also unsupported but I have no problems with it. I'm on a hybrid OS (428/436).
    Listen ppl, the Storm 2 is a quad band GSM phone as well as a CDMA phone. If it was CDMA only or didn't support every GSM band as it does then I nor anyone else should have the audacity to complain about the Storm 2 performance on any GSM network. However, even though the 9550 is primarily for Verizon's network, it does not excuse it for dropping calls or doing other weird things on a GSM network seeing that RIM clearly states that it is quad band GSM phone. A GSM phone is a GSM phone and is suppose to work flawlessly as such!

Oh and BTW even the 9520 over at Vodafone has the drop call problems. Please see link.
    BlackBerry Storm 2 - Losing Audio During A Call - Vodafone eForum.
    Last edited by k1fox; 01-19-10 at 10:20 AM.
    01-19-10 09:49 AM
    OK well i didnt expect to go through pin point surgery here or i would have been more accurate...
    actual emails could have been 70, calls could have been 30...? most were undere a minute because we were asking questions back and fourth.

There were 6 memebers of my team working on different sections of the assignement at hand. actual time could have been 15 minutes less or 30 minutes more. Since you are doing all the number crunching why dont you add two battery pulls as well!!??

Point is handset was a menace when i needed it the most... Its a premium handset at a premium price, dont we deserve a more reliable phone at that price that simply works when you need it too? Simple rant about the buggy software - calculate that!!

I wasn't trying to originally criticize you, i was just stating that thats a whole **** of a lot of usage in that short time, and seemed very hard to accomplish all that in the said time period.
    I'm sorry to hear that you paid 850 dollars for the device, seems pretty out of hand, I among many others in this forum paid $79 after $100 mail in rebate. And for a $79 phone, mine is performing excellent, about 10 times better than the original Storm and seems overall better than my Tour.
    In all honesty, for the amount of use you experiance I would say the Tour is probably a better device for you. If you are doing that much emailing, a physical keyboard seems better, and the amount of calls and such, and the battery life would be better as well being its not a touch screen and is not as large too. I dunno, your own personal preference tho I guess.
    I would say just about any smartphone at this time would have trouble handling that excessive use, try that with a WM device lol.
    01-19-10 07:26 PM
    9700, not the tour
    01-19-10 07:44 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD