ok so i did it. dropped my BB in my coffee mug. she's fried. i guess i'll just take it back to VZ and get a replacement.

my question is.......i just upgraded the OS yesterday so there should be a fresh backup on my PC somewhere. Anybody know what it's called and/or where it is? Mostly I'm worried about my passwords in the password keeper.

Thanks!!
    05-28-09 07:14 AM
    DM creates a file with the extension of .ipd for your backups. Search your computer for that extension and of course use the most recent version when you restore on your next phone.

Sorry to hear about the phone.
    05-28-09 07:17 AM
    Look in your My Documents folder. I believe that DM puts those backups there by default.
    05-28-09 07:19 AM
    ok so i did it. dropped my BB in my coffee mug. she's fried. i guess i'll just take it back to VZ and get a replacement.

my question is.......i just upgraded the OS yesterday so there should be a fresh backup on my PC somewhere. Anybody know what it's called and/or where it is? Mostly I'm worried about my passwords in the password keeper.

Thanks!!
    You will have to pay full price. There are stickers inside the phone and under the battery cover that change colors when they get wet. They won't honor the warranty when you get it wet. Did you have insurance on it? Not sure if that covers it, but that may be an option if you had insurance.
    05-28-09 07:21 AM
    Thanks guys. I did get insurance on it so I can't imagine they won't cover it. I mean, otherwise I'll just say I lost that dam thing, which I know is covered.
    05-28-09 07:34 AM
    If you can't find where the back up file was saved, when you get your new BB just plug it into your computer head over to DM and go to backup. Now don't back it up just see where it is going to save it. It should give you the option to pick a folder or drive to save it onto as well. But the first place it goes is the folder where your back up file is.
    05-28-09 08:03 AM
    Unless you changed it, it's in MyDocuments and should be a file that looks something like this: LoaderBackup-(2009-05-26).ipd

Grey
    05-28-09 08:07 AM
    How big of a cup of coffee do you drink to give the Storm a big enough target?
    05-28-09 08:23 AM
    What does this have to do with Storm OS discussion?
    05-28-09 08:37 AM
    Dip your phone in isopropyl alcohol, the highest percentage you could find. Soak it in there for 30 seconds and take it out. That's the best chance you have of your phone working again. Let it try for 25 minutes in open air. You could also place it under rice to let it dry.

Try powering on after 30 or so minutes, if it doesn't work....Call Verizon and tell them what happened, if you wanna lie and say you lost it nobody is stopping you, but that IS insurance fraud.
    05-28-09 08:39 AM
    Are you the thread police!!!!! lol Oh wait I am. I moved this thread to the general Storm section.

Pull the battery out of the Storm if you have not done so already. Then put that sucker in a big bag of uncooked rice which will draw out the moisture. Wait 24 to 48 hours, and the phone MIGHT just work ok. Now I would be inclined to do the insurance anyways, because the damage may already be done, plus the damage from the sugar in the coffee might be even WORSE than the damage from just the moisture. BUT you might be able to get that sucker working long enough to use the device switch wizard and transfer everything directly to the insurance replacement.

As a side bonus, Asurion lets you keep the SD card, battery and all the cords, so you'll get dupes of that stuff with the replacement. USE the battery with extreme caution as it's probably sugar or moisture damaged!
    05-28-09 08:49 AM
    How big of a cup of coffee do you drink to give the Storm a big enough target?
    LOL, not that big actually!! It was just a perfect swish!!! A centimeter or 2 in any direction and it woulda clanged off the rim....

My bad....posted in the wrong forum by accident. Whoever moved it...thanks.

Just got back from VZ and filed a claim with the insurance carrier. They do cover water damage, so I'm good to go. Will get the replacement tomorrow by noon. Unfortunately, it'll more than likely be a refurb and not a new one. Oh well....if the screen clicking sucks I'll just return it and try again.

And I did find the backup file eventually. I kept looking under the c: drive but my work PC puts stuff under the w: drive so it took me a while to find it (search under "my computer" instead of just "c:").

Thanks everyone!!!
    05-28-09 08:50 AM
    Are you the thread police!!!!! lol Oh wait I am. I moved this thread to the general Storm section.

Pull the battery out of the Storm if you have not done so already. Then put that sucker in a big bag of uncooked rice which will draw out the moisture. Wait 24 to 48 hours, and the phone MIGHT just work ok. Now I would be inclined to do the insurance anyways, because the damage may already be done, plus the damage from the sugar in the coffee might be even WORSE than the damage from just the moisture. BUT you might be able to get that sucker working long enough to use the device switch wizard and transfer everything directly to the insurance replacement.

As a side bonus, Asurion lets you keep the SD card, battery and all the cords, so you'll get dupes of that stuff with the replacement. USE the battery with extreme caution as it's probably sugar or moisture damaged!
    Just saw this pkcable, thanks for moving. Also thanks for the tip about keeping the battery. I had already removed the media card b/c I know they won't ship me one. I wonder if it's ok to hold onto the battery and not return it with the busted BB?

As for the damage, the battery seems to be working fine. It's the screen that's effed. I didn't know this until my wife called my landline and told me to quit calling her from my BB and typing in her ear!! LOL.

What a nightmare.....
    05-28-09 08:55 AM
    Just saw this pkcable, thanks for moving. Also thanks for the tip about keeping the battery. I had already removed the media card b/c I know they won't ship me one. I wonder if it's ok to hold onto the battery and not return it with the busted BB?

As for the damage, the battery seems to be working fine. It's the screen that's effed. I didn't know this until my wife called my landline and told me to quit calling her from my BB and typing in her ear!! LOL.

What a nightmare.....
    They WILL send you a dupe of everything, it's an Asurion thing, and they DO let you keep the extras. You'll get an extra SD, SIM, battery, and all the cords. All you need to send back is the phone.
    05-28-09 08:59 AM
    There's a point in the process where they ask what they need to send you. I think it says BB, SIM, battery and charger. And it asks if there are other accessories that were affected. I screwed up by not clicking yes.....So there are some things they may not be sending me like the crappy leather case, which I actually want b/c I threw away the original and regret it.

Their policy is pretty clear that they do NOT replace media cards. That's what you mean by SD, right?
    05-28-09 09:03 AM
    You will have to pay full price. There are stickers inside the phone and under the battery cover that change colors when they get wet. They won't honor the warranty when you get it wet. Did you have insurance on it? Not sure if that covers it, but that may be an option if you had insurance.

That is what the insurance is for....
    05-28-09 09:07 AM
    ahh...classic.
    05-28-09 09:09 AM
    I have a niece that works at VZW and she replaces phones that have insurance all the time that were dropped in water. Actually she says the toilet is the most common. That is what the insurance is for. There is a $50 copay unless you opped for the better coverage for $1 a month more. That gives you 2 years with no deductable. My track ball went bad on my 8830WE after about 19 months. The phone was replaced at no charge. I then upgraded a week later to the Storm and gave the 8830WE to my oldest daughter who could not afford to buy a BB at the time and commit to a contract. She had it activated to replace a current verizon phone. She got a new (refurb) free all because of my insurance.
    05-28-09 09:21 AM
    I have a relatively-related question - why is the sugar worse than the moisture? I'm not questioning the accuracy of your statement, just curious as to why.
    05-28-09 09:21 AM
    I have a relatively-related question - why is the sugar worse than the moisture? I'm not questioning the accuracy of your statement, just curious as to why.
    Because sugar causes corrosion. Water can be dried, but the sugar will remain on the inside of the phone and will corrode the metal/electronics.
    05-28-09 09:24 AM
    Thankfully, I drink my coffee black.....
    05-28-09 09:39 AM
    i'd take the battery out and give it a bath in some distilled water and maybe the alcohol mentioned above to disolve the coffee/sugar/creamer residue and then try the rice bag trick but since you've got insurance, thats the best path to take.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-28-09 09:42 AM
    I thought the Storm OS was in Java already, so why would this cause a problem?

I know, stupid pun, and not helpful.
    05-28-09 09:46 AM
    I recommend a mug with a lid for the future... my grand daughter has one of those... LOL
    05-28-09 09:48 AM
    Because sugar causes corrosion. Water can be dried, but the sugar will remain on the inside of the phone and will corrode the metal/electronics.
    Ah, that makes sense. Thanks.

And Snarfler, it's only a bad pun if no one gets it. Keep up the good work.
    05-28-09 09:52 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD