Ok so I tried to put some foam to seal up my screen around the gap and I decided I didn't like it anymore. Well long story short, it got stuck. I didn't want to ruin my phone so I thought hey, I already voided the warranty removing that sticker and I just don't care that much/I was feeling cocky today so I carefully (very) disassembled my phone. I blew all the dust and stuff out, cleaned it up a bit and put it back together. I don't know if I am just crazy, but my screen clicks better (I had already done the screw fix) but it seemed to not wiggle as much and give me a much more "meaningful" click. Everything went great but I really don't know what I did different. I just thought I would share my crazy story with you guys.
    12-22-08 03:38 PM
    It's possible these things just aren't assembled really well or in a rush by the workers. I can honestly tell you that if probably took you 10 times longer to put it back together then it would a worker in the factory. That alone should probably shed some light on this mistery. It's a shame though that you have to unstick some pannels to get to screws on this thing. Kind of a bad design in a way since that glue will not be as strong on the second application as on the first.
    12-22-08 03:50 PM
    It's possible these things just aren't assembled really well or in a rush by the workers. I can honestly tell you that if probably took you 10 times longer to put it back together then it would a worker in the factory. That alone should probably shed some light on this mistery. It's a shame though that you have to unstick some pannels to get to screws on this thing. Kind of a bad design in a way since that glue will not be as strong on the second application as on the first.
    By worker you mean a robot right? Because there's simply no way a team of human workers could ever crank out enough units to meet demand like RIM has been doing. Plus it'd be way too expensive. Anything and everything that can possibly be put together by a robot will be. Otherwise, the only humans there will be making sure parts are continually fed into the assembly line, and to stop the entire assembly line if things go out of control.
    12-22-08 03:59 PM
    Have you seen that show "How Its Made" on Discovery? You would be surprised at how many things are still assembled by hand.
    12-22-08 04:03 PM
    The adhesive used to put the camera cover and lower speaker piece stuck very well. The speaker piece actually has 2 tabs that click in. I doubt I could do that much more before it doesn't even stick anymore but for this one time it worked fine. If it were made by robots/machines you would wonder why the difference in build quality between to phones that have the same manufacturing date and location. My Dad and I both have Canada and 211108 and my phone is significantly higher in build quality than his. Makes me wonder how there whole process works.
    12-22-08 04:03 PM
    If RIM is using assembly robots to put these together, then I would suggest they increase the robot's pay, because it's obvious they don't give a isht about the quality of their assembly work. More money usually solves this problem.
    Haha true that

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-22-08 04:18 PM
    If RIM is using assembly robots to put these together, then I would suggest they increase the robot's pay, because it's obvious they don't give a isht about the quality of their assembly work. More money usually solves this problem.
    Thats Awesome!!
    12-22-08 04:21 PM
    Have you seen that show "How Its Made" on Discovery? You would be surprised at how many things are still assembled by hand.
    Yes, but when it comes to things like electronics, most stuff can easily be put together by robots. It's mostly just precision soldering and screwing things together.

And did you ever think that a show like that is going to focus in on things where there's people they can interview? I'm not trying to be a smart @$$ here or anything, I'm just saying that they're going to gravitate towards things where they can find a couple of people to interview as opposed to nothing but shots of an automated process with narration. Or they might opt to go to a plant where they still have humans doing some job as opposed to a plant down the road that's fully automated.

And can someone PLEASE get rid of the stupid language filter? Or make it something you optionally turn on? I seem to recall that these forums are run by Drupal, and it just so happens I used to work with Matt Westgate and John VanDyk a couple years back. So say the word and I can ask them what they'd charge to implement such a feature, then we could start taking up donations.
    12-22-08 04:36 PM
    ...nothing but shots of an automated process with narration
    Thats what How Its Made is.
    12-22-08 04:41 PM
    Thats what How Its Made is.
    The ones I've seen also put in little interviews with workers whenever possible, where they describe what they do. But I only catch that show occasionally while flipping through the channels. Outside of Mythbusters or Dirty Jobs, I rarely watch Discovery anymore. There are only so many shows about police forensics a person can take. If anything, I gravitate more towards the History Channel or History International. I do miss that old Connections show, where they start off with some seemingly innocuous invention/discovery, and show how subsequent inventions based on it made some modern appliance or do-dad we all take for granted possible. I wish Dirty Jobs would do that more... Show all the dirty jobs that go into making some product.

But none of this really has anything to do with Blackberries or the Storm... So, how about a "How It's Made" episode detailing how Blackberry phones are made? Someone should write to Discovery about it. Tell them Steve Jobs said it was okay, and bonus points if you understand that comment.
    12-22-08 04:52 PM
    Yes, but when it comes to things like electronics, most stuff can easily be put together by robots. It's mostly just precision soldering and screwing things together.

And did you ever think that a show like that is going to focus in on things where there's people they can interview? I'm not trying to be a smart @$$ here or anything, I'm just saying that they're going to gravitate towards things where they can find a couple of people to interview as opposed to nothing but shots of an automated process with narration. Or they might opt to go to a plant where they still have humans doing some job as opposed to a plant down the road that's fully automated.

And can someone PLEASE get rid of the stupid language filter? Or make it something you optionally turn on? I seem to recall that these forums are run by Drupal, and it just so happens I used to work with Matt Westgate and John VanDyk a couple years back. So say the word and I can ask them what they'd charge to implement such a feature, then we could start taking up donations.
    QFT.

Doubt the Storm or any of the Blackberry models are assembled by hand (for the most part). Maybe some minor parts like placing the battery cover on.

And i must agree, the language filter is brutal. There needs to be an option to view profane language if we choose.
    Last edited by REC7IFY; 12-22-08 at 05:10 PM.
    12-22-08 05:07 PM
    Ok so I tried to put some foam to seal up my screen around the gap
    I didn't want to ruin my phone

Am I missing something here? lol

Anyways what more then likely happened is your screen was screwed down too tight and by loosening the screws it clicks better. It's a common fix around here.
    12-22-08 05:16 PM
    Am I missing something here? lol

Anyways what more then likely happened is your screen was screwed down too tight and by loosening the screws it clicks better. It's a common fix around here.
    I know that, I tried the fix with a few different numbers of turns and found what I liked yet the screen still wasn't as giving as it was in some of the problem spots although better. When I re-assembled the phone everything just seemed overall better and the problem spots were completely cured.
    12-23-08 01:11 AM
    Just noticed my first piece of dust under the screen.... oh well. I looked at the bodygardz covers and they are spit at the buttons... would be nice if someone made one that covered the screen and the buttons to catch dust. Maybe next time someone takes the Storm apart they can upload some pictures of how they did it. Some of us may want to try to get the dust out. Has anyone tried a vacuume? maybe the dust can be pulled out with a vacuume (carefully)?
    12-23-08 09:03 AM
    question... were the ribbon cables for the screen/digitizer hard to undo? Im gonna attempt a dissasembly today to clean and seal the screen.
    12-23-08 12:12 PM
    Just noticed my first piece of dust under the screen.... oh well. I looked at the bodygardz covers and they are spit at the buttons... would be nice if someone made one that covered the screen and the buttons to catch dust. Maybe next time someone takes the Storm apart they can upload some pictures of how they did it. Some of us may want to try to get the dust out. Has anyone tried a vacuume? maybe the dust can be pulled out with a vacuume (carefully)?
    There's a video on youtube. I don't really think it's possible to disassemble the screen assembly without running into issues with either the seal, the LCD itself, or the adhesive. By the way if anyone is looking for more of that adhesive like the kind they use, it's similar to the stuff they use on plastic beverage bottle labels.
    12-27-08 07:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD