05-20-10 12:45 AM
33 12
tools
    I seem to be unable to disable Memory Cleaning. (located at Menu - Options - Security Options - Advanced Security Options - Memory Cleaning). Seems there is a icon of a lock next to Status - Enabled. It was disabled before.
    This is a personal device and its not on BES or IT policy.
    I noticed a memory cleaning icon in my Downloads folder too.
    This happened after I the OS on my Storm2 to .580. Also did a battery pull but no difference there. It remains Enabled with a lock icon.
    Anyone could help disable this function please?
    05-03-10 11:20 PM
    Do you have BerryJoose, Aerize, etc. installed on your phone?

If so, that is probably your culprit.
    05-04-10 12:35 AM
    Nothing of that sort. The list of apps that I have (excluding games):
    iBeeFart
    BerryBuzz
    Bloomberg Mobile
    Crackberry Launcher
    English Thai Dictionary
    Google Maps
    GPSed BB
    IM+ For Skype
    MemoryUp BlackBerry Edition
    MeterBerry
    Nimbuzz
    Opera Mini
    Quicklaunch
    RepliGo Reader
    Crackberry Superstore App
    Vision For YouTube
    Worldmate Live

It never happened before. Only since yesterday. Any ideas please?
    05-04-10 12:51 AM
    It's probably that memoryup app.
    05-04-10 11:15 AM
    do you have a shortcut in quicklaunch for memory cleaning?? If so delete it and then go back and check if it locked.
    05-04-10 11:44 AM
    I've had MemoryUp for ages and its definitely not it.

No memory cleaning shortcut in Quicklaunch too, I don't even think Quicklaunch supports that now. Been looking through this option and its not there.

This happened when my itchy fingers fiddled around with this memory cleaning feature and enabled it, used it and forgot to disable it until the next day. And then there was lock over the Enable tab. Anyone experienced it before?
    05-04-10 12:46 PM
    Quicklaunch does support it, because I have it as a shortcut on mine. The reason I asked is because there is a thread on this site that talks about that, and the fix on that thread was to delete the shortcut in quicklaunch. Other than that I have no idea. Search the threads you will probably find one that will help you.
    05-04-10 02:06 PM
    I've been searching the threads and sadly nothing has been help for me so far. Hence I started a new thread. Its still there. I found it on QL and added then removed it but the lock icon is still there and can't disable the function. Just wondering what is the consequences of keeping it enabled?
    05-04-10 11:06 PM
    Is it possible this is a new feature of the latest 5.0 releases? I just discovered this on my Curve 8900 with the .592 OS. I had .411 for a while, but I never looked under the security options for some reason, so I don't know if I had the lock thing before this OS version.
    Last edited by Moon_Juice; 05-13-10 at 01:56 AM.
    05-13-10 01:41 AM
    When I installed 5.0 OS, everything went fine. Until the day my itchy fingers messed around with it and did a memory clean with the built-in feature, little did it be known that the feature is now permanent. Can someone confirm this please?
    05-13-10 02:12 AM
    I've been searching the threads and sadly nothing has been help for me so far. Hence I started a new thread. Its still there. I found it on QL and added then removed it but the lock icon is still there and can't disable the function. Just wondering what is the consequences of keeping it enabled?
    I did a search too. That's how I wound up here. Everything else I found seems to be from early 2009 or before.

What I've done was to set "clean when idle" and "clean when holstered" to NO, and place the homescreen icon, hidden, in my setup folder. This way I at least know when the cleaning takes place. From what I can tell, the feature itself isn't supposed to be harmful, but the problem here is that we cannot disable it and we are supposed to be able to.

One useful thing I found in searching is that if you go to Options>Status and type BUYR it will show you whether your phone has an IT policy, as well as voice and data use. Exiting that screen will hide the information again.
    05-13-10 04:27 PM
    Nothing of that sort. The list of apps that I have (excluding games):
    iBeeFart
    BerryBuzz
    Bloomberg Mobile
    Crackberry Launcher
    English Thai Dictionary
    Google Maps
    GPSed BB
    IM+ For Skype
    MemoryUp BlackBerry Edition
    MeterBerry
    Nimbuzz
    Opera Mini
    Quicklaunch
    RepliGo Reader
    Crackberry Superstore App
    Vision For YouTube
    Worldmate Live

It never happened before. Only since yesterday. Any ideas please?
    These are the only two apps you and I have in common. I've had GMaps for pretty much the whole time I've owned this phone, but only just installed WML within the past couple days - right after my OS upgrade. Is it possible one or the other of these programs has affected our settings?
    05-13-10 04:30 PM
    My device has no IT policy. I've also been having Worldmate for years and it never happened before until now. However there have been discussions going round that there is probably a certain feature in Worldmate that causes memory cleaning to be locked as enabled once it becomes enabled. I'm just wondering if there's any truth to that......
    05-14-10 03:16 AM
    I think the only way to find out for sure is to delete the app and see what happens, although I have heard talk that once this lock is in place, it persists even after app deletion. That's not in regards to WorldMate, just in general. And I can't vouch for it personally as I've never been through this before.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-14-10 03:33 AM
    I think having either Encryption or Memory Compression enabled also locks Memory Cleaning on. I cannot remember which one.
    05-14-10 10:05 AM
    I think having either Encryption or Memory Compression enabled also locks Memory Cleaning on.
    You are right, turning encryption ON will LOCK memory cleaning to ON
    05-14-10 10:46 AM
    Does content compression do it too? I have that turned on, but encryption is off. Encryption ate two of my home videos once. Irreplaceable ones I shot with the BB. The case stumped RIM tech support, I kid you not.

But staying on topic, does content compression affect the memory cleaning setting?
    Last edited by Moon_Juice; 05-18-10 at 05:43 AM.
    05-14-10 11:02 AM
    It should not theoretically. If you look in the UI modules, they should be independent. But as experience tells with this issues, funny gremlins resides within certain devices wrecking havoc.
    In my settings Menu - Options - Memory, compression is also Enabled and has always been over the years with many previous devices and OS-es.
    05-15-10 11:10 PM
    It IS WorldMate Live!!! I uninstalled it and the lock on enabled Memory Cleaning was GONE. The only downside is I LIKE WML and will be reinstalling. Mystery solved.

05-16-10 03:28 PM
    Hope this is right. Sure its nothing to do with the new OS5.0.xxx? I'm using .580 for my Storm2. You seem to be using a different device too. Lemme try it and I'll post a reply. Will uninstall, check if Memory Cleaning is still locked on Enabled, then reinstall Worldmate Live.
    05-16-10 08:42 PM
    Pretty sure it's not OS-related, but not positive. All I know is that all I did was uninstall WML, reboot the phone, and Memory Cleaning is no longer locked.

05-17-10 12:08 AM
    YES it certainly did work! I uninstalled Worldmate, did a reboot and voila! As expected.

Now I'm wondering what would happen if I reinstalled Worldmate. And not enable Memory Cleaning. Would that automatically re-enable by itself?
    05-17-10 12:18 AM
    Confirmed that Worldmate is the culprit. I just reinstalled Worldmate and Memory Cleaning is auto enabled and locked for no reason. Uninstalled it and memory cleaning is disabled and unlocked.
    Case closed!

05-17-10 04:31 AM
    Now that we know for sure, we have to decide if reinstalling is worth the trade-off. I don't think Memory Cleaning is anything more than another BB security feature. Perhaps we should email the devs and see if they can "fix" the "bug" or at least explain why this happens.

I think at this point it's time to click the "mark solved" button.
    05-17-10 05:10 PM
    You are correct, Memory Cleaning is nothing more than a security function. I have no idea why Worldmate Live would lock it on.
    05-17-10 07:53 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD