Hi, was just wondering if there's a setting to disable to accelerometer so the phone doesn't switch from portrait to landscape all the time?!? I have mine set on reverse contrast but it won't stay in reverse contrast for landscape mode unless an app is first opened in portrait, then turned to landscape. I'll admit I just don't know if the accelerometer can be set manually on the storm. I know this is an extremely small detail, but I love the way reverse contrast looks and want it to work like that all the time! What can i say....i'm picky. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks
    03-12-09 10:13 AM
    You can't.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-12-09 10:32 AM
    There's no way you can do it...The ability to switch from landscape to portrait is one of the selling points of the phone
    03-12-09 10:34 AM
    Yeah...that's what I figured. I had the samsung omnia for 2 weeks before I took it back for the storm. I absolutely hated the phone but the one thing I did like is that it had that feature. Maybe BB should add it huh? But since it's not possible....maybe someone could answer me WHY THE DAMN THING WON'T STAY IN REVERSE CONTRAST?...it's always going back to normal when the phone is rotated. Like it forgot or something. Any ideas??
    03-12-09 10:44 AM
    There's no way you can do it...The ability to switch from landscape to portrait is one of the selling points of the phone
    Except for the fact that it takes a few seconds for it to switch, and in some cases, the screen stays frozen and doesnt switch at all. Kind've annoying when all u wanna do is make a simple phone call, and have to wait for the screen to switch from landscape to portrait.
    03-12-09 10:45 AM
    Except for the fact that it takes a few seconds for it to switch, and in some cases, the screen stays frozen and doesnt switch at all. Kind've annoying when all u wanna do is make a simple phone call, and have to wait for the screen to switch from landscape to portrait.
    True but it depends on the OS your using. Don't have that problem with unofficial .109
    03-12-09 10:51 AM
    i emailed vzw for ****s and giggles a couple days ago and asked if they could implement that option. didnt think anything of it, but last night someone from vzw called me and thanked me for my suggestion and said they'd forward it to the blackberry development team (or something with a similar name). who knows if it will make a difference, but if there is enough of a demand from storm users requesting this be an option, vzw might tell RIM to implement it in a future build.

i love the feature, there are just a few times when i wish i could disable it.
    In my experience with ANY help desk/tech support, they tell you that they'll pass it on to dev simply to get you off the phone.
    As to whether they'll take it seriously, well, like you said, depends on how many people ask about it.
    03-12-09 10:54 AM
    True but it depends on the OS your using. Don't have that problem with unofficial .109
    Agreed.

-Cyrus
    03-12-09 10:54 AM
    I am using reverse contrast and am not having that issue. Landscape and portrait both work fine.
    03-12-09 11:12 AM
    Hi, was just wondering if there's a setting to disable to accelerometer so the phone doesn't switch from portrait to landscape all the time?!? I have mine set on reverse contrast but it won't stay in reverse contrast for landscape mode unless an app is first opened in portrait, then turned to landscape. I'll admit I just don't know if the accelerometer can be set manually on the storm. I know this is an extremely small detail, but I love the way reverse contrast looks and want it to work like that all the time! What can i say....i'm picky. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks
    Here we go again

03-12-09 11:32 AM
    I am using reverse contrast and am not having that issue. Landscape and portrait both work fine.
    Which OS are you using?
    03-12-09 11:35 AM
    Here we go again

Sorry...didn't wait in line for the storm when they first came out. I haven't had it that long. But thanks for the input it was really useful.
    03-12-09 11:51 AM
    yeah I know mobipocket ebook app has the feature to lock the screen orientation...just would make sense that the storm itself could have that feature. :/
    03-13-09 08:15 PM
    well since mercury is what allows the screen to change orientations, maybe a hardware switch that you could slide could keep the mercury from flowing?

just a far out guess from a noob who has no idea what he's talking about.
    03-13-09 08:25 PM
    I would like to be able to stop it from changing to landscape sometimes. When I'm laying in my bed or something it's a pain when it keeps switchin on me.
    03-13-09 08:40 PM
    i would love the ability to turn it off as well. its too sensitive sometimes.
    03-13-09 09:55 PM
    Yes being able to turn that feature off would be great. Mine freezes for a few seconds sometimes when changing. for me its just annoying.
    03-13-09 10:17 PM
    If you throw it up against the wall REAL hard- you might be able to disable it.

let me know how it goes.
    03-13-09 10:23 PM
    I would like to be able to stop it from changing to landscape sometimes. When I'm laying in my bed or something it's a pain when it keeps switchin on me.
    If you want to keep the phone in landscape while laying down, rotate the button end of the phone so it is pointing up. Portrait mode doesn't work with the phone upside down, so it stays in landscape.

03-13-09 10:57 PM
    is this that big of a deal? I layed down at night and mine stays to where I put it last just lay it down gently... Complaints on something so cool is dumb lol
    03-14-09 03:03 AM
    is this that big of a deal? I layed down at night and mine stays to where I put it last just lay it down gently... Complaints on something so cool is dumb lol
    I hope your kidding. If not, its funny...cause your comment is actually the dumb one, not hers.

She is talking about actually using the phone while laying down in bed or something, not simply laying the phone itself down (silly to even think that was what she was referring to).

Anyways, I would also like to be able to disable the accelerometer in certain situations as well. Good suggestion. Maybe someone will put together an app for it to lock in portrait/landscape while in certain apps.
    03-14-09 03:33 AM
    I would like to be able to disable the screen from changing with one of the convenience keys on the side, and then turn it back on when I want. I'm a mechanic and sometimes I have to send a text or do something on the device in less than ideal positions. Not having to try and type on an upside down keyboard would be great.
    03-25-09 09:39 PM
    Here we go again

Easy with the 29 posts there buddy...
    03-25-09 09:52 PM
    I feel it should stay in portrait all the time on the home screen and app screen, then after you have selected an icon it can switch...
    03-25-09 09:58 PM
    well since mercury is what allows the screen to change orientations, maybe a hardware switch that you could slide could keep the mercury from flowing?

just a far out guess from a noob who has no idea what he's talking about.
    While you can still buy mercury switches, mercury is not used in accelerometers. For one of my classes I had to use an old analog accelerometer. A small silicon mass held by four "springs" was placed in between two capacitors. Under acceleration the mass would move with a certain displacement which would be measured as a change in capacitance between the two capacitors. With the measured displacement and know mass and spring constants, the chip can output an acceleration. I believe the one in the storm is a digital accelerometer which uses a special crystal structure to measure capacitance and displacement, but I don't know too much about it. Anyway if RIM so desired I'm sure they could add an option for this in an OS.
    03-25-09 10:14 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD