I do apologized if this as already been discussed however I tried searching for the information which yielded no relevant results. My question is, are there any major differences (is any at all) between the 9500 & 9530 models and if so what are they?

Thanks In Advance
    12-18-08 02:40 AM
    The models of the phone are EXACTLY the same. The 9500 is for Vodafone and is for use on GSM primarily with the ability to use CDMA when roaming. The 9530 is for Verizon and is for use primarily on CDMA with the ability to use GSM when roaming.

Having said that, some have had success with using GSM in the States on T-Mobile and AT&T, but since I don't get either of those networks anywhere near where I live (can't even subscribe to those networks here in ND), I don't have any idea how it's done.
    12-18-08 02:46 AM
    The models of the phone are EXACTLY the same. The 9500 is for Vodafone and is for use on GSM primarily with the ability to use CDMA when roaming. The 9530 is for Verizon and is for use primarily on CDMA with the ability to use GSM when roaming.

Having said that, some have had success with using GSM in the States on T-Mobile and AT&T, but since I don't get either of those networks anywhere near where I live (can't even subscribe to those networks here in ND), I don't have any idea how it's done.

I think this is actually incorrect..

They are not in deed identical..

Connectivity:
    • US/Verizon Blackberry 9530 Storm:
      3G EV-DO Rev. A/CDMA, 2100Mhz UMTS/HSPA and quad-band EDGE/GPRS/GSM
    • Vodafone Europe/Asia Blackberry 9500 Storm:
      Quad-band EDGE/GPRS/GSM, 2100 UMTS/HSDPAV
    I dont think that the cdma radio is even in the 9500..

I am yet to see a complete breakdown of the phones side by side.. However I do believe that the stated specs have to be correct no?

also quoted

Both devices will work on HSPA networks in Europe.
    The 9530 has dual band CDMA, quadband GSM, and 2100MHz HSPA
    The 9500 has quadband GSM and 2100MHz HSPA
    Last edited by noaim; 12-18-08 at 02:58 AM.
    12-18-08 02:53 AM
    The primary reason for asking was because I am living outside the U.S. and my carrier uses the GSM network and I wanted to know what model (whether 9500/9530) would be best I get since I am looking to upgrade from my Pearl 8100.

Thanks again.
    12-18-08 03:08 AM
    The primary reason for asking was because I am living outside the U.S. and my carrier uses the GSM network and I wanted to know what model (whether 9500/9530) would be best I get since I am looking to upgrade from my Pearl 8100.

Thanks again.

you want the 9500..
    12-18-08 03:10 AM
    you want the 9500..
    Thanks for the assistance
    12-18-08 03:16 AM
    The 9500 does not have CDMA. In Australia they turned off CDMA a year after 3 and 3.5G was set up, so we don't have any need for it anymore. Not sure about the UK.

The only other difference is the number 3. Or we have two 0s!
    12-18-08 06:06 AM
    Clarification needed:

In speaking with a local cellular dealer, I was told that the 9530's from Bell (Canada) would work with a local sim card say in Asia even though the phone is CDMA locked with the Canadian service provider, the reason being that the GSM portion of the phone is unlocked.

Is this correct?

Anybody tried this yet?
    01-07-09 08:08 PM
    Clarification needed:

In speaking with a local cellular dealer, I was told that the 9530's from Bell (Canada) would work with a local sim card say in Asia even though the phone is CDMA locked with the Canadian service provider, the reason being that the GSM portion of the phone is unlocked.

Is this correct?

Anybody tried this yet?
    They are wrong. GSM is locked. That is why there are multiple threads on how to unlock the phone as well as getting the unlock code from Verizon
    01-07-09 08:35 PM
    Excellent.

Thanks for the clarification!
    01-07-09 08:38 PM
    They are wrong. GSM is locked. That is why there are multiple threads on how to unlock the phone as well as getting the unlock code from Verizon
    No I don't believe you're the correct one, he said Bell Canada not Verizon. I'm with Telus and it is GSM unlocked for Europe and other countries just not for local providers like Rogers. Mine even came with an optional sim card in the box from Telus.
    01-29-09 02:01 PM
    hello, i hope i`m not bothering you but you seemed to know a lot about this in some other posts...... will an unlocked 9500 work in the US on tmobile? will it be the same as having a 9530?
    02-19-09 04:49 PM
    Telus and Bell 9530's are GSM locked for Europe and North America.
    If you were to be able to unlock them GSM portion it would work on Rogers GSM network.
    Right now, only Verizon is handing out GSM unlock codes.
    02-19-09 04:58 PM
    I think this is actually incorrect..

They are not in deed identical..
    [/LIST]I dont think that the cdma radio is even in the 9500..

I am yet to see a complete breakdown of the phones side by side.. However I do believe that the stated specs have to be correct no?

also quoted
    the storm 9500 has CDMA written on the back, so it definately works on CDMA networks. I have a 9500.
    02-19-09 06:19 PM
    all the people know that european network is higher than american network.. We have 3G and HSDPA from 5 years and next year we will have WI-MAX

9530 is for slow network

9500 is 3G and HDSPA
    02-19-09 06:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD