I have been sitting around giving this a lot of thought, and now I am going to try and lay it all out.

I have read several times now people talking about the type of users the Storm has brought to this site, and I have a major issue with those kinds of statements.

Last February I bought my first Blackberry, it was a Pearl. I had wanted a smart phone for some time, and it was by shear dumb luck that I was finally able to snag one. My wife had seen the pink VZW Pearl and had to have it. Not because it was a Blackberry. Because it was Pink. Now my wife is a very intelligent woman. She graduated with honors from the University of Michigan and has since gone on to earn her CPA and works for a very successful accounting firm, and she wanted the Pearl because it was Pink. She uses it to check her e-mail occasionally, and uses the Media player when she works out, and uses it to record her points for weightwatchers(not that she needs WW). She is not a power user; she doesn't feel attached to her Berry like we all do, and when she gets home from work it sits untouched on the counter. She is the kind of person that was attracted to it because it was Pink, and the deal was if she got one so did I.

Like the pink Pearl the Storm has attracted a totally new type of Blackberry user.

Are they hardcore Wall Street businessmen?
    No.

Are they government officials who need the most reliable means of communication at all times?
    No.

Are they software engineers who wanted the most advanced mobile device on the market?
    No

They are college students, teenagers, and common working class individuals who had never considered diving into the world of what used to be considered a professionals only device.

To criticize this new type of user simply because they don't know how it was done in the old days is a complete mistake.

They are going to be impatient, they are going to be selfish, and yes they are going to be rude.

Does that make it right? Absolutely not, but it is a fact.

They are also going to be grateful and excited about their device and tell everyone and anyone who will listen how great their Berry is and why they need one.

To say that users who crave new leaks, and log on 50 times a day to check for leaks, are disrespectful is wrong.

Who doesn't want the best they can get? Do you go to a restaurant and say bring me whatever has been lying around? No you expect what you order to be if not outstanding, at least satisfying.

To criticize Storm users for not being satisfied is wrong.

By putting out a consumer oriented device like the Storm in the shape they did was wrong, and as much as I hate to say it, the reviews tearing the Storm to shreds when it launched were accurate.

.75 is not the answer. If updates were not leaked, I would have probably gone back to the Pearl by now. I am happy with .103 but if not for the leaks where would we be?

Can anyone say that .75 is an acceptable OS for a device like the Storm?

Scratch that, there are people out there still running .75, because they are afraid to upgrade because they don't want to hurt their device. They had never owned a Pearl or a Curve or any other BB for that matter, and they will wait until VZW or Telus, or Voda put out something, anything stamped with the word official on it.

Nothing in this world is perfect, and the unfortunate truth is that companies will put out a product regardless of whether or not that product is ready or not.

Many people held on to their Storms because they had confidence that RIM would be able to get it together. They had faith that their device would be what they hoped it would be back in August when the news started flowing.
    How many people bought the Storm when it launched and had no idea of what Crackberry.com was and still don't? If you say they don't exist, I will tell you that you are wrong, because I have seen it.

Where are they now? Do you think they whip it out with .65 or .75 running on it to show it off to their friend who gushes on and on about his Iphone. Probably not, because to them it probably is no different than an Omnia, Dare, or Voyager.

I want the best for my device. So do all of you. They might not express it in the best way possible, I know I haven't at times, but they should not be criticized and called selfish, rude, or disrespectful for wanting the best. I have said many many times that any Blackberry is better than the Iphone. I use the Iphone because it is the phone we all love to hate. Why is it better? Because it is a Blackberry pure and simple.

The Storm isn't right. Say what you want about our overwhelming desire for leaks, but without them many of us might have given up by now, because like I said .75 is not the answer. Many Storm users don't know that the Bold, Curve and Pearl had problems. You can tell them to you are blue in the face but it won't make it any easier to suffer thru the problems that the Storm has faced. They just know that theirs does and up until recently they were pretty bad.

It’s late, and I think I am starting to lose focus so I am going to end this. Many of you will probably tell me to shut the h*ll up and get over it. Some of you will tell me that I like to hear myself talk. More than likely this thread will just drift on down the page until it has been obscured by the next 50 waiting room threads. I am as guilty as the next person for starting this mess, and I won't guarantee that I won't be involved with it in the future, I want the best OS I can for my device. So if that makes me disrespectful, selfish or rude than so be it. I want another leak if that makes me a lousy Blackberry owner and user I can live with that.

P.S. I will not post again in this thread, so bash me, don't bash, ignore me. Whatever.
    Last edited by Valace2; 02-21-09 at 12:47 AM.
    02-21-09 12:40 AM
    Okay. Next person in line.....lol. My storm "lalalalalalla".....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-21-09 12:50 AM
    Is this going to be available in paperback any time soon?

I just hate the higher price tag of hard bound books and the brightness of my screen will only allow me to get through about an 8th of it before I slip into a mild hypnosis.
    02-21-09 12:53 AM
    I agree with your post. As surprising as it may seem the whole reason RIM et al. produces more than one model of phone is to attract more users. In some crazy scheme to turn a profit they produce more than one model in more than one color. Imagine that... something for everyone.

02-21-09 01:37 AM
    Overall, good post.

.75 was not meant to be the answer. It was just a maintenance release to fix the worst of the bugs in .65. There were supposed to be a second release in Dec and another in Jan BUT they elected not to release either of them. Why? Because every single beta to date has broken something that worked in .75. These people you speak of (the masses) would FREAK if they released an official update that broke MMS or Stereo Bluetooth. So instead they work hard at trying to fix these and other issues without breaking any more. They are close, very close, it seems from the betas and the reports about them, but not there yet. The next release (probably .20 or .25 or so) will be the answer and I have confidence it will be out in the next 3-4 weeks.
    02-21-09 03:32 AM
    tl;dr version, please.
    02-21-09 07:18 AM
    I can understand where you're comming from Valace, but I believe it's more of some getting upset with the flaming of those who attempt to help us. It's not wanting another leak, because it's obvious those that log on here in some way do. It's just the attitude that some use to portray their longing for a leak. Flaming and bashing those who attempt to help us is not a proper manner. I love the thought that users of any blackberry device are diverse. I don't agree with some comments made that they are immature just by what they post. "I" just feel that anyone of any age bashing someone who attempts to help us is immature. If someone is under an NDA and someone is begging them to release a leak is, in part, selfish. I do admit. That person can lost their job, their monthly income, what THEY use to provide for themselves or family. We all want a leak, it'd be great. I have given up hope on seeing one, but it would be nice. I'm not, in any way, attempting to bash you or talk down upon you. I just feel that we should all be a little more thankful and attempt to cut down on the bashing/flaming. I've been on this site viewing posts since December, then shortly after created an account. I've seen comments go from being thankful to down right rude (understand, this has not been all users on this site. Just some). I want the best for my phone, everyone does. I just think we should be a little more thankful is all, and in a perfect world we would.
    02-21-09 07:48 AM
    I aint gonna lie, I read down to software engineers and gave up. But yah my wife bought a curve just cause it was pink. and good post, i think?
    02-21-09 04:20 PM
    My cat's breath smells like cat food.
    02-24-09 11:22 AM
    You smell like dead bunnies.

02-24-09 12:09 PM
    Valace, don't go! We were looking for you......
    Right after you had your final "sign off," .109 was leaked. It worked baby!
    Don't worry about it, stop frothing at the mouth and jump back on the threads.
    02-24-09 12:11 PM
    To criticize this new type of user simply because they don't know how it was done in the old days is a complete mistake.
    I don't see people judging Noobs like me, because we are new and ignornat. I see judgements passed on our behaviors not lack of knowledge.

They are going to be impatient, they are going to be selfish, and yes they are going to be rude.

Does that make it right? Absolutely not, but it is a fact.
    I disagree that it is a fact. People are accountable for their ACTIONS. If someone IS selfish, rude and impatient then I suggest they think back to Kindergarten where we all learned about sharing, manners and patience. Very few posters here have youth as an excuse for their behaviors, the rest of us should have learned how to fuction in a civilized world. If members spew forth ill manners then don't be surprised if they, as the man said, "reap what they sow".

They are also going to be grateful and excited about their device and tell everyone and anyone who will listen how great their Berry is and why they need one.

To say that users who crave new leaks, and log on 50 times a day to check for leaks, are disrespectful is wrong.
    I havn't seen anyone say that craving new leaks is Disrespectful. The problem isn't the DESIRE but the behavior that coems out of the desire

I want the best for my device. So do all of you. They might not express it in the best way possible, I know I haven't at times, but they should not be criticized and called selfish, rude, or disrespectful for wanting the best.
    I've not seen anyone called "selfish, rude, or disrespectful for wanting the best". The comments I've read are about peoples actions not desires.

You may notice a repetitive theme to my replies. Actions & Behavior.

Irish Diplomacy is the art of telling someone to go to H E Double Hockey Sticks and making them look forward to the trip.

When Kevin posted this:
    CrackBerry Rules for Member Conduct

Play Nice, Be Helpful, and have Respect!

This means keep the language clean, keep your posts polite, and don�t get into arguments over dumb things. If somebody responds to a thread you posted in poor fashion, ignore it, and the moderation team will quickly clean it up (you can always message or email a moderator at any time if you observe anything that is in poor taste/against the rules). Think back to what your parentals and teachers used to lecture - if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Always remember that we are all unique and at different levels here - some of us are experienced BlackBerry users and forum junkies, while others are just starting out. If you�re on the experienced side, have patience for those just joining in on the fun and be helpful. With a little patience and a little help they won�t be newbies for long. Instead of responding to a question by posting "Search", respond with an answer and point them in the right direction. Also remember that it is our differences that keeps this place interesting. If everyone was from the same place and at the same experience level it would be boring. This is a worldwide community united by a common interest - our love, or addiction as some would call it, for the BlackBerry!
    It really ammounts to ALL of us using a bit of diplomacy coupled with the skills we learned in Kindergarten. We can speak our minds but we should do so while making the effort to try and avoid annoying others.
    02-24-09 02:07 PM
    Wow, very nice post Devlyn. That about sums it up, IMHO.

02-24-09 02:14 PM
    ha-ha
    (nelson voice)
    02-24-09 08:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD