I am new member and I hate to ask for help in my first post, but.
    I just bought on eBay new Blackberry Storm model: BB9530T

Question: will it work on GSM 1800 network in Costa Rica with my SIM card?
    Or do I need to unlock it first, if yes how?

BTW: I don't live in USA and don't have friends there either. So I can't just call GS etc.

Anyone can help?

TIA
    11-28-08 07:14 PM
    No, you bought a BB storm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-28-08 07:25 PM
    I don't think you can put any other carriers SIM in the Storm. I don't know if anyone has tried unlocking it yet.
    11-28-08 07:27 PM
    yes people have unlocked the 9530 storm and used it on AT&T and TMobile however from what i have read in various posts... it must be unlocked first... and when unlocked it wont run on 3G... Their are several threads about this...
    11-28-08 07:30 PM
    You should just have to call Verizon and explain to them that you bought your phone and wants the subsidy unlock code.
    11-28-08 07:32 PM
    It should work
    11-28-08 07:34 PM
    You should just have to call Verizon and explain to them that you bought your phone and wants the subsidy unlock code.
    You need to be a Verizon Wireless customer to get the unlock code.
    11-28-08 07:34 PM
    I unlocked mine, used a buddies AT&T SIM, no problems. Called up CS and said I need Global Support. The lady asked me why, and I told her I needed the unlock codes because I was traveling. She said where are you traveling, and I said the Caymen Islands. She transferred me and I got the 16 digit unlock code. When you put a SIM in the phone, just go to Network Options and make sure you set it to GSM only.
    11-28-08 08:16 PM
    You need to be a Verizon Wireless customer to get the unlock code.
    No, you can buy the phone outright without a contract and they have to give you the code if you ask for it. It is just easier if you are a customer.
    11-28-08 08:22 PM
    Like people have said before there are posts already on how to unlock the Storm. From what I have read you loose some of the functionality. Can't remember what all it was but easy for you too look up.
    11-28-08 10:02 PM
    Ok, from Blackberry.com on the Storm's specifications page

# UMTS/HSPA networks: 2100 MHz
    # Dual-band 800/1900 Mhz CDMA2000 1X Ev-DO networks
    # North America: 850 MHz GSM/GPRS networks
    # North America: 1900MHz GSM/GPRS networks
    # Europe/Asia Pacific: 1800MHz GSM/GPRS networks
    # Europe/Asia Pacific: 900MHz GSM/GPRS network
    11-28-08 10:27 PM
    Thank you all for your answer and help.

Couple more things.

I live in Costa Rica and I bought the unit on eBay (it's new). Kind of jump the gun (I like new gadgets).

I bought different phones on eBay before and unlocked them my self, even iPhone. Then I have them shipped to Miami and from Miami to Costa Rica. Once it get's here I unlock it.

This unit has different issue - so far.

"After" purchase (didn't pay for it yet - just won the phone and have 3 days to pay for it), I started to read different posts and basically the verdict is: yes. it can be unlocked "but" you have to be Verizon customer and call them, telling them to unlock it because you are going to travel bla, bla.

So far so good for you guys in USA but not very good solution for me in Costa Rica. We don't have Verizon here just state monopoly provider that is 10 years behind anyone else in the world, but least we have GSM 1800 band.

So I am not sure what is the best approach: I don't live in USA, I am not Verizon customer and I don't know anybody in USA that I can ask for favor.

That's why I asked, hoping I can bypass Verizon issue.

Please let me know if you can think of any solution.

TIA
    11-29-08 04:22 AM
    If the phone is legit (not stolen from factory), you will have no problems calling Verizon Global Solutions and they will be able to unlock it for you. And then you will be able to pop in your sim card and use it on your carrier in Costa Rica. Plain and simple.
    11-29-08 06:22 AM
    If the phone is legit (not stolen from factory), you will have no problems calling Verizon Global Solutions and they will be able to unlock it for you. And then you will be able to pop in your sim card and use it on your carrier in Costa Rica. Plain and simple.
    Perfect answer. (I was thinking the same thing)

I already contacted the owner on eBay asking him to contact the Verizon GS and ask them to unlock it.
    It will only take few minutes and cost nothing and can easily be done if phone is not stolen or "something". Once done and confirmed I will complete the transaction.

I believe it's reasonable request. Don't you agree?
    11-29-08 10:06 AM
    Why did you buy the phone if you dont have verizon and it wasnt already unlocked. get a phone that works for your network lol.

I am new member and I hate to ask for help in my first post, but.
    I just bought on eBay new Blackberry Storm model: BB9530T

Question: will it work on GSM 1800 network in Costa Rica with my SIM card?
    Or do I need to unlock it first, if yes how?

BTW: I don't live in USA and don't have friends there either. So I can't just call GS etc.

Anyone can help?

TIA
    11-29-08 10:54 AM
    Why did you buy the phone if you dont have verizon and it wasnt already unlocked. get a phone that works for your network lol.
    Thank you for you intelligent suggestion, you sound like my mother

I have phones that work in CR. Nokia 6200s, HTC Touch and iPhone. I read nice write up and wanted to have have it. That's all.

I just like new gadgets. Hope it's not a crime against humanity
    11-29-08 11:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD