Has anyone gone through the process of finding out what's getting so hot when your Storm is in the 'battery only lasts 6 hours' mode? I had assumed it was the battery which was getting hot, but I noticed last night that the area that's hottest is not where the battery sits. It's instead just below where the SIM card sits. I assume there's a chip under there that's causing the problem, but I'm reluctant to tear the phone apart to see. :-)

Mine went into the hot mode when I upgraded from .122 to .141 and stayed there through a downgrade to .75 and an upgrade to .132. I'm not convinced it's related to any OS release, I'm more inclined to think it's something that gets corrupted in the configuration non-volatile memory during the upgrade process.
    05-07-09 12:42 PM
    I was able to fix both mine and my wife's. In both cases the hot Storm / low battery life issue was traced to WeatherBug. When an OS is upgraded, the parameters for WeatherBug are reset to some unknown state. When WeatherBug is in this state, it can really hammer either the radio or the GPS (I'm not sure which is the culprit). As soon as you do an OS update, go into WeatherBug and reset your locations to the parameters you will normally use and the heat / battery problem will go away! :-)
    05-13-09 12:35 PM
    I have this same problem, but I dont have weatherbug installed on mine. My battery drains in about 8 hours and is always hot.
    05-13-09 02:02 PM
    Is the battery itself the heat source, or is it from the other end of the Storm? In my case the battery wasn't the hot spot, it was actually closer to the Verizon logo on the back. The opposite end from the battery.
    05-13-09 05:35 PM
    I have this same problem, but I dont have weatherbug installed on mine. My battery drains in about 8 hours and is always hot.
    How many apps do you have running in the background? The more apps that are open or auto update will drain battery life faster and the processor will be running more often creating a hotter device.

Best advice, make sure you completely close out of apps, and disable auto updates on apps that do so.

Good Luck.
    05-13-09 07:53 PM
    I had the same problem and realized that my signal sucked, (working in a hospital), so it was constantly searching for a signal and drained my battery, hence the heat off the phone. Some days are worse than others but downloading battery booster helped and turning off GPS, using the internet less and just being conservative, closing apps etc., were also helpful.
    05-13-09 08:06 PM
    i have the same problem when upgraded to 141...removing viigo and weatherbug via deskto manager solve my problem...
    05-13-09 09:27 PM
    i have the same problem. My storm goes dead within 8 hours just sitting. Nothing is open and the screen turns off after 1 minute. the radio is turned off because i did not activate it yet. I borrowed it from a friend and will activate it at the beginning of my billing cycle. this started happening when i upgraded to .132. i have since restored to the original os with dm. any suggestions?
    05-13-09 09:42 PM
    Check your sync settings on apps like Weatherbug, VYmail. Make sure its not set to sync every 1 or 2 minutes. Set it to sync at 5 or 10 minutes. Everytime you upgrade or downgrade the OS it resets the settings so make sure its set correctly.
    05-13-09 10:20 PM
    Check your sync settings on apps like Weatherbug, VYmail. Make sure its not set to sync every 1 or 2 minutes. Set it to sync at 5 or 10 minutes. Everytime you upgrade or downgrade the OS it resets the settings so make sure its set correctly.
    I deleted weatherbug and now the battery shows 85% after sitting all noght from 11pm to 9am this morning. Much better. how can i reinstall weatherbug?
    05-14-09 08:31 AM
    You should be able to just got to the weatherbug web site, download the current version and redo the initialization. It's only when you leave it uninitialized (as it is whenever you do an OS upgrade) that it sucks the battery dry within a few hours.

I wonder if they do a weather or position check every 0 minutes when not initialized?
    05-14-09 02:16 PM
    I have the same problem but noticed my storm got hot after playing my media player. I don't have Weatherbug... but I do have Viigo. The whole plate in the back got hot didn't know if this was normal or not. Battery last half a day.
    05-14-09 03:46 PM
    I deleted weatherbug and now the battery shows 85% after sitting all noght from 11pm to 9am this morning. Much better. how can i reinstall weatherbug?
    That's weird. If it sits there all night, it shouldn't drain down to 85%. It's still not normal.
    Mine sits all night, and even reboots in the morning, and still doesn't drain the battery one bit when not in use. (Granted I have a strong signal at home).
    05-14-09 04:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD