ok so I am pretty familiar with how the memory things work on a BB. I am curious what peoples device memory is sitting at though..

For starters with everything I use my application memory is sitting at about 20 mb which I have noticed between 12-20 on the storm works well.. like normal.

My device memory reads total 879.2 mb with only 4.8 mb free.

The reason that this is boggling me is that I have went up and down the device through a windows box using all the typical apps and cannot see a dang thing that is grabbing that much memory... All of my media is stored on the media card. The first thing I did when I had the phone in my possession was look at the memory and I thought when I looked then that there was like 600 free?

am I missing something correct me if I am wrong isn't the device memory saved for media?

I am wondering if its just reading the memory wrong..

please don't flame I have searched threads to see if I am missing something.

Also almost every BB I have worked with I haven't dealt with a memory card.. so I am not sure if this changes the way I am thinking. I also wanted to note that this has not affected the device in anyway just curious were all that memory is.\ being used up.
    Last edited by noaim; 11-28-08 at 01:38 AM.
    11-28-08 01:36 AM
    i dont have in front of me, but doesnt it show you memory free as in RAM, and then storage space (the 1GB flash) seperate meaning the 868?

so the free should be fairly low. or am i reading what you wrote wrong, or remembering wrong
    11-28-08 02:39 AM
    i dont have in front of me, but doesnt it show you memory free as in RAM, and then storage space (the 1GB flash) seperate meaning the 868?

so the free should be fairly low. or am i reading what you wrote wrong, or remembering wrong
    yes device memory is the extra storage space directly on the device seperate from the application memory.

then of course below that the media card memory.
    Application memory is listed like

Application memory
    Free space: 18mb

-----------------------------
    Device memory is listed like

Device memory
    total space: 879.2 mb
    Free space: 4.9 mb
    11-28-08 02:52 AM
    ok found and fixed this is honestly the last place I was thinking of looking because I have yet to load anything onto internal memory and have no clue how this got there or why it was loaded here.

Basically I decided to check something out of random.

I browsed the device in windows and looked in the trashed folder.. for those of you that don't know this is a hidden folder when browsing .. called .trashes

for some reason some of the music that I loaded onto my media card ended up in this folder even though I have never deleted anything from the device or from computer accept applications.

no clue how it got in there and it didn't delete anything off the memory card..

so if this happens to anyone else check it =)

EDIT UPDATE: I think I have a idea of how it happened. When I look at the missing sync for mac.. the music settings show by default to leave at least 5mb on device... now because I was left with exactly 4.9 mb. But what confuses me more is why the music was in the .trashes folder considering that the same music also made it to the media card (I checked and rechecked) So this may actually be a bug with the missing sync and storm.. I am going to try and submit this information to them and see what they think.

Disclaimer: if your new to blackberry and not fully comfortable don't mess with direct access to the device without making a FULL backup especially the hidden folders. music and things are pretty easy to deal with but going into the system files/folders and deleting things can be problematic so ask before you do. =)
    Last edited by noaim; 11-28-08 at 03:31 AM.
    11-28-08 03:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD