02-20-09 01:35 AM
32 12
tools
    Just loaded GoogleMaps on the Storm. Finally a somewhat useful app however it would not locate a Discount Tire Co. location in Scottsdale (Pima Rd & FLW Blvd) that comes up on the iPhone. (surely not a fault of the device)

Streetview is a clunky joke compared to the silky panning on the iPhone, at least on .75

Is it any better on the lower res leaked OS's, or is it another case of weak rendering?
    02-18-09 04:35 PM
    BTW, the workaround for docs to go is to just go onto your PC and save copies of blank excel, word, and powerpoint files. email these to yourself, or put on sd card via mass storage mode. no open one of the blank templates and save as whatever you want. now you can create docs.
    02-18-09 04:55 PM
    What a bad day to post this.

VZW BlackBerry Storm Now Supports GPS on Google Maps | CrackBerry.com

How odd. Google must have missed that memo. Good call.
    A bad day because what..... Blackberry App store opens with thousands of great apps, Blackberry wins developer hearts with the best SDK known to man..................
    point release for google maps enabeling GPS

LOL

Jesus
    02-18-09 06:08 PM
    Yeah, change the argument. It's all you got.
    02-18-09 06:11 PM
    Yeah, change the argument. It's all you got.

Accuracy still suffers. Not changing the argument at all.
    02-18-09 06:46 PM
    Well, I am stoked about the google maps. BB maps failed for me the other day when I was trying to find a job site, it had me at the end of the street. Now I even have streetview (That can go full screen). I feel a little better now. But I am still pissed that I cannot create a .doc without paying "extra", thats total BS.

I wish the forum was redone and the section for 3rd party apps was broken into two halves, "useless crap toys" and "tools."
    02-19-09 11:30 PM
    I don't own and iPhone but I do own a Storm and an iPod Touch. If the iPhone had been available on Verizon where I am "stuck" there is not a question in my mind which phone I'd have - the iPhone. The iPhone is not perfect by an means, but it is easier to use, more stable, has a better form factor and is just heads a shoulders more polished than my poor Storm is. Don't get me wrong - my Storm is "okay" and gets used mainly for corporate email (I can do the same on my Touch). But back on topic, the Storm simply will never have the numbers, or more importantly, the mindset of the development community. I just read that the iTunes store has just broken 20,000 apps. Absolutely a large number of them are repetitive or just plain stupid (do people REALLY pay for farting noises?) but if even a small percentage those 20,000 apps are good, that is hundreds, if not thousands, more apps than are available for the Storm. And with the FAR greater number of iPods and iPhones out than Storms, and with this gap in numbers rapidly growing, the Storm simply will never have any traction.

It is irrelevant TODAY whether the iPhone had web apps, jail broken apps or real apps available 4 months after it's release. I have had my Storm since the day it was released. The phone comes with a decent set of working apps and the beta OS releases have slowly made it usable and more stable. But geez, after 4 months you'd think there would be more stuff available for it, especially in the games department since this is more of a consumer phone than a business phone. I check about once a week and frankly, the games that are out totally suck. Seriously, the only two things I have been excited about since getting this phone was Google maps using GPS and the fact that people are finally making themes with the leaked Plazmic.

I am a programmer and while I have just dabbled with programming for a phone and am by no means an expert - the development environment for the Storm is a joke as well.

I am sure that there will eventually some decent apps out for the Storm. But it will always be a niche player and the ugly stepchild to the iPhone. I'm not sure why there is so much venom towards the iPhone here, though I guess a lot of people get fanatical over their phones. As I said above, my Storm is an "okay" phone but certainly does not warrant the defense it gets here.
    02-20-09 01:35 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD