I am new at using BB so please don't beat me up!

Is there a desktop software for the Storm that can be used for calendar and e-mail contacts? I would like to be able to enter all information using my desktop then transfer to the storm.
    11-22-08 11:06 AM

Is there a desktop software for the Storm that can be used for calendar and e-mail contacts? I would like to be able to enter all information using my desktop then transfer to the storm.

you will have to use outlook...enter all your info, then sync it with your STORM via the Desktop Manager...

real simple and will save wear 'n tear on your fingers...

hope this helps....

Enjoy !
    11-22-08 11:11 AM
    Thank you !

I was hoping there was a 3rd party app that could be purchased. I don't use outlook at this time but looks like I may need to in order to make this simple.
    11-22-08 11:15 AM
    From what I have read elsewhere I think that google sync will work. Enter your contacts and/or calendar on google and sync it.
    11-22-08 11:16 AM
    From what I have read elsewhere I think that google sync will work. Enter your contacts and/or calendar on google and sync it.

could be my friend, im not a google mail user...but very well could be...

hope you enjoy your new BB Storm :-)
    11-23-08 01:26 AM
    hold on a minute!

you dont use outlook...

Well I believe outlook express and the mail app in vista also work... don't go buying something just yet

I can't verify this 100 percent yet but I will try to.

Also as suggested I believe google things work as well. Its not worth spending that kind of money on office when it may not be needed.
    11-23-08 01:29 AM
    If you are using Vista you can configure your Storm to sync with the contacts even if you are not using Outlook. As for the calender, I am using Google Sync and am unsure.
    11-23-08 03:36 AM
    I had the same question as a "Newbie." I'm switching next week from the Treo 755 to the Storm and have been used to the Palm Desktop application to enter everything on my laptop and then sync. I'm trying to learn as much as I can before I get the Storm this Tuesday (via mail). So, it seems that I should be entering into Microsoft Outlook to sync? There are some advantages vs. the Palm, however, they don't associate pictures with contacts on the desktop? I have also looked in Blackberry Unite. Any suggestions on that application or should I just stay with Outlook? One last concern-If I have Verizon transfer contacts from the Palm OS into the Blackberry Storm, will I loose certain fields and attached notes? Is it just better to manually load all my contacts and appointments into Outlook now? Thanks everyone! Tom
    Last edited by TDS; 11-23-08 at 06:54 AM.
    11-23-08 06:48 AM
    you will have to use outlook...enter all your info, then sync it with your STORM via the Desktop Manager...

real simple and will save wear 'n tear on your fingers...

hope this helps....

Enjoy !
    Thank God I can use my Outlook with the Storm. This is the first mention of the use of Outlook w/the Storm. Thank you!
    11-24-08 02:30 AM
    Thanks! I just entered all my contacts into Outlook. I researched Blackberry Unite and it just didn't seem to work. Anyhow, I was promised my Storm today and when the FedEX didn't arrive at my office I called Verizon to find out its shipping no later than December 5th! Ugh, this isn't what I was promised. Oh well. TDS
    11-25-08 04:44 PM
    Thanks! I just entered all my contacts into Outlook. I researched Blackberry Unite and it just didn't seem to work. Anyhow, I was promised my Storm today and when the FedEX didn't arrive at my office I called Verizon to find out its shipping no later than December 5th! Ugh, this isn't what I was promised. Oh well. TDS
    I hope I don't have to wait till December, uggghh
    11-26-08 01:19 AM
    Any one using a password storage app for the Storm?
    Those of you currently using this app for any BB, which ones are the best, I see two in this site's store.
    I've been using Codewallet pro by DevelperOne since before smartphone, used on all my PDAs. The good thing is you can buy the desktop companion, so you can use your pc, then sync to your smartphone. But they don't make it for the BB
    Thanks in advance for any replies, this is a MUST for me!
    11-26-08 01:24 AM
    Any one using a password storage app for the Storm?
    Those of you currently using this app for any BB, which ones are the best, I see two in this site's store.
    I've been using Codewallet pro by DevelperOne since before smartphone, used on all my PDAs. The good thing is you can buy the desktop companion, so you can use your pc, then sync to your smartphone. But they don't make it for the BB
    Thanks in advance for any replies, this is a MUST for me!
    Again, I answered my own question, I'm starting to lose faith in this forum
    Yes, there is one VERY similar, and seems as good, "DataVault" by Ascendo Inc.
    But, it's confusing. Crackberry site says it's NOT compatible w/the Storm, but Ascendo's site says it is.
    Any one has any ideas? I did email Ascendo, hope I get answers by Monday, sale ends Monday.
    Thank you in advance for any suggestions!
    11-30-08 04:40 AM
    Again, I answered my own question, I'm starting to lose faith in this forum
    Yes, there is one VERY similar, and seems as good, "DataVault" by Ascendo Inc.
    But, it's confusing. Crackberry site says it's NOT compatible w/the Storm, but Ascendo's site says it is.
    Any one has any ideas? I did email Ascendo, hope I get answers by Monday, sale ends Monday.
    Thank you in advance for any suggestions!
    Ascendo Data Vault works great on the Storm. I've used ADV for a year on my Pearl. Had to get a new version for the Storm since it is registered by BB PIN but it installed easily and synced up to my old Desk Top ADV data!
    11-30-08 08:55 AM

Lets try to simplify this.

What program do you currently use for contacts? Then we can determine what your best option is
    11-30-08 09:01 AM
    I use Incredimail as my e-mail program. The only problem with that is it doesn't have a calendar and I have over 300 e-mail addresses. I wouldn't bring all 300 over to the BB. I would like to pick and choose what was synk'd over to the storm....
    I used to use a PALM years back and it was so easy keeping the address book updated on my desktop and transferring to my PALM handheld.
    11-30-08 09:53 AM
    ok so here is my suggestion for both the question of what to use and transferring contacts:

use GMail. It is free and online. You can have your calendar and contacts sync over the air using Google sync for BB. They also have a desktop version of Google sync that you can that you can test with other calendar programs on your desktop.

Also, I think you can import your contacts from another system into Google and map fields (you need to check). So in summary:
    1) sign up for Gmail
    2) Export contacts from current system
    3) Import into Google (may have to spend time mapping fields)
    4) Download Google sync to your BB

All is well
    11-30-08 10:01 AM
    Newbie here. Got my Storm the other day (Yeah!) and trying to decipher how to get my contacts to the phone. I did download PocketMac but I am still confused. My contacts are currently in Mac's Address Book. Should/Can I send them to Google then on to the Storm. If so, how do it I do that. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    11-30-08 10:15 AM
    Thanks Troutseth...

How about yahoo.com. I have an account with yahoo which has a calendar. Can this be sync'd to the BB? If so, How do you do it ??
    11-30-08 10:17 AM
    Thanks Troutseth...

How about yahoo.com. I have an account with yahoo which has a calendar. Can this be sync'd to the BB? If so, How do you do it ??

I don't . . here is a link to a discussion on the subject with the curve. Not sure about contacts.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/yah...-problem-1805/
    11-30-08 10:19 AM
    My storm should be here in a couple of days and I was wondering where is the best place to get desktop manager? I know it will be on a cd that ships with the device, but sometimes it is better to get it via download to get an updated version. Should I get it from RIM's website or do I need to get a version from verizon wireless from their website? Should I install it with media manger or without? I know verizon also uses rhapsody for media management so if I get it from RIM's website will it come with that component? Sorry for all of the noob questions, but when I get this thing I do want to hit the ground running.
    11-30-08 11:17 AM
    Thanks Troutseth...

This is what I use. There are options in Desktop Manager which sets this up. Click on synchronize and on the upper left corner click on synchronization and follow the directions for Yahoo.
    11-30-08 11:24 AM
    While syncing with my yahoo account, here is the error I keep getting: YAHOO SERVER IS TEMPORARILY INACCESSIBLE, TRY SYNCING AGAIN IN A MINUTE.
    11-30-08 12:03 PM
    I have a Vista Ultimate 64bit with 4gbs. I can run several programs at once with no lag. Except the BlackBerry desktop management. It will knock out all other bluetooth devices, stop the media center and nearly lock the system for a minute or two. Anyone else have similar problems? Other than this major problem I am loving my new Storm. And what is up with no way to input? Palm had that included in their software.
    11-30-08 04:19 PM
    Ascendo Data Vault works great on the Storm. I've used ADV for a year on my Pearl. Had to get a new version for the Storm since it is registered by BB PIN but it installed easily and synced up to my old Desk Top ADV data!
    Thanks for the reply, I appreciate a user of the app.
    Yeah, it sounds pretty good, and the folks at Ascendo have been talking to me over the weekend. They say it should work on the Storm, I don't know why the CB folks advertise it here that it does not.
    Nevertheless, I'll get it tomorrow before the sale is over, and will try to load it when I get my Storm.
    Thanks again for the help!
    12-01-08 06:29 AM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD