New to forums so if this is the wrong place to ask this question please point me to appropriate area

I'm have 2 issues with connecting my 9530 to my computer. The first issue is when I plug in the usb cable, under my computer the device shows up as simply two "removable disk"s. I can not open them, I can not explore them, I can not drag and drop anything into them. They are essentially useless. Shouldn't I be able to access the sd card on the device in this manner???? WTF?

EDIT... issue #1 resolved. had to enable mass storage mode or something like that on device..

Second when I attempt to start the media manager from the DM I get a visual c++ runtime error wrt the roxio media manager. I found some solutions for this issue but none seem to address running vista.

All I want to do is transfer 1 friggin' file from my computer to my blackberry and short of just doing it as an email attachment it's damm impossible!!

any help is greatly appreciated!

thanks!
    Last edited by bad_crc; 01-22-09 at 10:12 PM.
    01-22-09 10:02 PM
    Most of us don't use Media Manager. Mass Storage Mode can move any file from your PC to your Storm's Media Card. It can't copy to the device memory, but that's not commonly needed anyway.

Options / Media Card
    Media Card Support: On
    Encryption Mode: your choice
    Mass Storage Mode Support: On
    Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected: Prompt

Plug the BlackBerry into a USB port, answer Yes to the prompt, and the BlackBerry Media card will show up as a disk drive in My Computer. Then you can drag and drop.

For most purposes, Mass Storage Mode is much better than Media Manager. The only time you really have to use Media Manager is to get pictures out of your device memory. Mass Storage Mode can't see the device memory. Once the pictures are on the Media Card, Mass Storage Mode will let you drag and drop between the BlackBerry and your PC.
    Last edited by JeffH; 01-22-09 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Added Media Card instructions
    01-22-09 10:16 PM
    Options / Media Card
    Media Card Support: On
    Encryption Mode: your choice
    Mass Storage Mode Support: On
    Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected: Prompt
    JeffH provides the best solution here but I just wanted to share this scenario I used before reading this post. I do want to mention that on my 9530 purchased from Telus (Canada) you make the changes in Options / Memory

Storm 9530 / Telus

PC
    XP SP3
    Roxio Media Manager loads but comes up with errors when I try to do anything of consequence.

9530 connected with USB cable. Roxio not running yet

With �My Computer� open on the Desktop you see:
    Removable Disk (I):
    Click on it and it says insert media

Removable Disk (J):
    Click on it and it says insert media

BUT

Start Roxio Media Manager and minimize.
    Refresh the �My Computer� window on the Desktop and you see:

Removable Disk (I):
    As far as I can tell at this point (I): contains all of my user directories containing music, pictures, videos etc. including the preloaded crap. I can delete rename move copy. I have full control of the files on both ends.

BLACKBERRY1 (J):
    Shows several directories but no visible files with the exception of J:\home\user\pictures that contained a picture I had taken. I am not sure how I saved it at the time so can�t say for sure why it ended up there. But I was able to rename it etc and then click and drag to the (I): drive from the open windows and then delete the source file.

As long as the session is open you can close Media Manager and work with the phone from the Desktop. Once you disconnect the phone �My Computer� reverts to Removable Disk (I): and Removable Disk (J): and you have to restart Media Manager.

This is obviously not the solution but it did help me to understand how this system works.
    01-23-09 11:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD