My theory is that people erroneously think their Storm has gotten faster after deleting VZ Navigator and/or Visual Voicemail simply because they do a reboot as part of the deleting process. It is the reboot -- and not the deletion of the applications -- that leads to any improved performance.

I personally have experience no difference whatsoever in lag, orientation switching or other perceived performance with these applications installed, uninstalled, or reinstalled. I have installed, uninstalled, and reinstalled them both at least twice and it simply makes no difference whatsoever.

There may be some other benefits from deleting these applications if you have absolutely no intention of using them, such as achieving more internal storage space. But unless your Storm is otherwise crammed to the seams with programs and files, I don't think this "fix" is anything other than a placebo. You can achieve the same results from doing a battery pull.

Thoughts?
    11-28-08 11:49 PM
    It doesn't "fix" anything, it just frees up some space and gives it less to load up.

Yes a reboot helps, but removing these also help a little. I think more with some people.

Try making your homescreen on one screen (i.e. hide everything that makes it scroll) and see how that speeds things up
    11-28-08 11:53 PM
    It doesn't "fix" anything, it just frees up some space and gives it less to load up.
    Sorry, but this doesn't make sense. Neither VZNav nor VVM are running in the background when installed, so there is nothing to "load up." If I'm wrong, I look forward to your more detailed explanation.

Yes a reboot helps, but removing these also help a little. I think more with some people.
    Again, this doesn't make sense. Our phones are pretty much identical in terms of OS and hardware. Either something improves performance or it doesn't. This is why I call this fix a placebo -- people have been talked into thinking it works, so they "perceive" that it work. In reality, it does nothing.

Try making your homescreen on one screen (i.e. hide everything that makes it scroll) and see how that speeds things up
    Different topic, different thread. Lets keep on topic. Thanks.
    11-29-08 12:01 AM
    Has any tried to delete the application installer? (The verizon one) Because theortically you can just download any app you want from a OTA via browser...
    11-29-08 12:04 AM
    This is not a myth , this works .... 2 programs that are constantly running unless you delete them , then they stop running which means less load on the processor and ram and wha lah faster

and no you cant just do the same by a battery pull
    11-29-08 12:08 AM
    2 programs that are constantly running unless you delete them , then they stop running which means less load on the processor and ram and wha lah faster
    And you can show this where? Obviously they do not appear as running applications in the task switcher. So kindly educate me as to how you apparently know they are running in the background. Thanks.
    11-29-08 12:11 AM
    Well I never installed them. And there not in my apps menu so I still get the lagg and the ramdom shutdowns.
    11-29-08 12:11 AM
    I personally have not seen any performance issues and I have VZnav fully loaded and use it almost daily. My device operates the same now as before I loaded the app. But, I also do not have a lot of the other issues that people have reported so it may be a device dependent boost. There have been a lot of people who have said it does work. My thoughts are if you do not use VZnav or visual voice mail then deleting them won't hurt anything and, if it gives you a performance boost all the better
    11-29-08 12:12 AM
    And you can show this where? Obviously they do not appear as running applications in the task switcher. So kindly educate me as to how you apparently know they are running in the background. Thanks.
    when you go to delete these two programs , which you dont have to install they are already installed, it says " In order to uninstall this program must first close" and you say yes bam no more memory feeders
    11-29-08 12:14 AM
    The Storm has 128mb of flash memory. Every application uses some of this memory. By deleting them you are freeing up more space. More space = More responsiveness
    11-29-08 12:14 AM
    The Storm has 128mb of flash memory. Every application uses some of this memory. By deleting them you are freeing up more space. More space = More responsiveness
    simply, but, well said
    11-29-08 12:20 AM
    My thoughts are if you do not use VZnav or visual voice mail then deleting them won't hurt anything and, if it gives you a performance boost all the better
    I agree 100%. I delete unneeded applications as a matter of principle alone. Any gained storage space is merely a bonus.

But I see people who seem to think that VzNav and VVM must be deleted in order for the Storm to be functional. And in my experience that's complete nonsense.

Meanwhile, as far as I'm concerned, VZNav is an extremely capable mapping and GPS information program well-worth the incremental cost. And VVM is incredibly useful and also well-worth the nominal extra cost. From "demoing" my Storm to friends and family, these are two of the biggest "Wow"-getters on the phone. So if there really is a performance hit associated with their installation, I'd like to know.

But so far I stand by my theory: its a complete myth, and deleting these programs will not have any affect on your phone's performance.
    11-29-08 12:20 AM
    mkleiman this is what I also notice check my post. But you got to remember that when you uninstall the nav it does stated that its being used and ask if your sure you want to delete it. That's why people think is running in the back ground. Has any one try turning off the GPS and see if you get any improvements?
    11-29-08 12:22 AM
    I agree as well. I love my VZnav and it is well worth the $10. I would pay $20 if I had to. I have not tried VV but it sounds like it is worth the $3.
    11-29-08 12:28 AM
    But you got to remember that when you uninstall the nav it does stated that its being used and ask if your sure you want to delete it. That's why people think is running in the back ground.
    I noticed this as well during my testing, and I agree that it makes people think the programs are running in the background. In fact, I think the Storm is merely alerting you to the fact that there are OS hooks between VZNav and the Contacts app, and between VVM and the Messages app. This is why additional menu options appear in the Contacts and Messages apps when you use VZNav and VVM. However, this doesn't mean the applications are running in the background or that they're using system resources of any kind whatsoever.
    11-29-08 12:38 AM
    mkleiman ...if I didn't know any better...I'd think you work for vzw lol...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-29-08 03:39 AM
    I thought the Storm had 128mb of RAM and 1GB of Flash?

Also, why would these programs always be running if you arent using them and they arent in your application switcher?

If they are in RAM, yeah i could see them loading faster. But i dont know why they would be in RAM if they arent running. Take my pc for example, i have lots of programs, lets say "Opera Browser". When its not running, its on my hard drive (i guess it would be flash memory on the phone), its not in ram, cause its not running, and its not slowing my computer down.

i dont know, i am new to blackberries which is why i am phrasing this whole thing in the form of a question and not a fact, but i am trying to apply my pc knowledge to the blackberry platform...
    11-29-08 03:51 AM
    mike240se when you start a program on a pc it uses ram then when to close the program its still runs on your ram thus allowing you to open program much quicker. That's why if you have slow system a reboot helps make it quicker. As for the BB OS I don't know how it really works but a pull of the battery is must every week just to keep thing running smooth. Or you can install which most of us have SOFTRESET.
    11-29-08 12:15 PM
    From what I can tell, applications are installed in the 128mb flash ram (Application Memory). So even if they aren't running, the files are still taking up space that could be used to run apps. This is unfortunate since we have so much room in the Device memory (the remaining 1GB) and on the memory card.
    Last edited by scougarb; 11-29-08 at 12:36 PM. Reason: added clarification
    11-29-08 12:29 PM
    mike240se when you start a program on a pc it uses ram then when to close the program its still runs on your ram thus allowing you to open program much quicker. That's why if you have slow system a reboot helps make it quicker. As for the BB OS I don't know how it really works but a pull of the battery is must every week just to keep thing running smooth. Or you can install which most of us have SOFTRESET.
    This is a phenomenon of the "PDA world," I think (coming from WM6.1, btw.). Keeps "bits" in RAM to launch later rather than tossing them (as one might do through the Task Manager on the PC for stubborn closers) to help the overall system respond a bit quicker. Having said that, the other rule of thumb that may be (not necessarily, but MAY be) applicable here is this: "If your phone works to where you're happy with it, leave it be." Seems there are some pretty antsy people on these boards who may look before they leap and may kill off something they didn't want to through an errant button press or some such.

I've deleted VVM from my unit and have noticed no performance gains. I've avoided nixing VNAV until my free trial is up (unless it proves itself to be a "must keep" gizmo).
    11-29-08 01:33 PM
    sounds dumb, but how exactly do i delete them?

ive got a mac, from what ive read people do it in the DM but can i do it directly from the phone?
    12-13-08 08:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD