What is the difference between these plans?

Blackberry� Solution Unlimited Data Usage $44.99/month
    Email and Web for BlackBerry� $29.99

Aren't both plans unlimited? The only difference I see is maybe usage outside the US.
    12-15-08 08:09 PM
    Yes they're unlimited. 44.99 if you need it for work.
    12-15-08 08:18 PM
    What is the difference between these plans?

Blackberry� Solution Unlimited Data Usage $44.99/month
    Email and Web for BlackBerry� $29.99

Aren't both plans unlimited? The only difference I see is maybe usage outside the US.
    I was told the 44.99 plan was for Business use, for example if you connected your BB to your works email.
    12-15-08 08:22 PM
    You need the $44.99 if you want to connect to the BES. If not, just go with the email & web plan.
    12-15-08 08:27 PM
    Why not vcast - its only $15 and you get unlimited web, just no e-mail push, but if you have web based e-mail just go to gmail or yahoo or whatever and read your mail there and save $100+ a year.
    12-15-08 08:31 PM
    1) I was told that I needed to purchase the $29 data plan, vcast was not an option for me. Is this not true?

2) What exactly is the BES, and is 'connecting to it' something the average use will need?
    12-15-08 08:45 PM
    If you're using your Blackberry as a modem for your laptop, or if you're tying your Blackberry to your company's corporate IT infrastructure, you must have the $44.95 plan. And data usage is unlimited.

However, if you're not doing either of the above, you can use the $29.95 plan. Data usage is capped at 5-gigs/month.

But, you could surf the web nearly endlessly, keep your GPS on 24/7, and do like a zillion emails, and still not hit 5 gigs.
    12-15-08 08:52 PM
    how would having the gps on affect the internet usage exactly?
    12-15-08 09:08 PM
    If you're using your Blackberry as a modem for your laptop, or if you're tying your Blackberry to your company's corporate IT infrastructure, you must have the $44.95 plan. And data usage is unlimited...
    Even with the $44.95 plan you still need to pay $15 more for the tethering. With the $29.95 plan it would be $30 more for tethering (according to the booklet I just picked up from the store). It brings it to the same $60 price point as their pcmcia / usb cards are, but it's an add-on instead of add-a-line like those would be (which are new contracts).

how would having the gps on affect the internet usage exactly?
    It uses the 'net to get all the maps for the program
    12-15-08 09:12 PM
    If you're using your Blackberry as a modem for your laptop, or if you're tying your Blackberry to your company's corporate IT infrastructure, you must have the $44.95 plan. And data usage is unlimited.

However, if you're not doing either of the above, you can use the $29.95 plan. Data usage is capped at 5-gigs/month.

But, you could surf the web nearly endlessly, keep your GPS on 24/7, and do like a zillion emails, and still not hit 5 gigs.

A. it's a soft cap of 5 GB/mo. You can go over, but VZW may charge you extra, throttle you down, or other.

B. you can use more than 5 GB in a month by streaming (frequently and constantly). It's difficult but not impossible.
    12-15-08 09:16 PM
    i have never seen so much bad information in a thread.

vcast for $15 is not available for the storm, if they told you you have it, they lied, you will be billed $30.

the $30 plan is "unlimited" just as much as the $45 plan. they both are considered "unlimited" but have soft caps at 5gb. if you hit 5.2gb one month, nothing is going to happen. its mainly if you do it alot.

the $45 plan is only for connecting to BES (corporate e-mail)

neither plan includes tethering. its $60 for tethering no matter what.
    12-16-08 01:01 AM
    Vcast Data pkge, is only for "dumb" phones, i.e. Voyager, Dare, ect...
    12-16-08 01:48 AM
    Why not vcast - its only $15 and you get unlimited web, just no e-mail push, but if you have web based e-mail just go to gmail or yahoo or whatever and read your mail there and save $100+ a year.
    because you have to have a blackberry plan with a blackberry..
    12-16-08 02:24 AM
    Sorry for the misinfo. I have BES paid for by firm, but I took out VZ plan for son's phone - forgot all BB's require a 'real' data plan. I do appreciate the correction. Keep up the great work.

Honestly I've had a BB for 7-8 years, and I learn new things both on the these boards and with the device everyday.

Just learned yesterday that hovering over media while in a playlist on the storm, will further sub-organize the list - genre, artisist, title etc... just like e-mail by author, subject...
    12-16-08 05:27 AM
    It would seem I am not too bright. I signed up for the 45 buck plan thinking I just wanted
    the most out of my storm. I don't use corporate anything. You think they will let me change it to
    the 30 plan?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-16-08 06:30 AM
    Vcast is not available on blackberry.
    12-16-08 06:42 AM

vcast for $15 is not available for the storm, if they told you you have it, they lied, you will be billed $30.

the $30 plan is "unlimited" just as much as the $45 plan. they both are considered "unlimited" but have soft caps at 5gb. if you hit 5.2gb one month, nothing is going to happen. its mainly if you do it alot.

unless you had tethering on your plan prior to 11/16/08. Then you can add it to any data plan for $15. I had some discussions with VZ about this. They tried to charge me $60, I argued that I was grandfathered in with the $30 plan and the $15 tethering plan for a total of $45. They corrected it on the spot.
    12-16-08 08:14 AM
    Vcast is not available on blackberry.
    You can get some of the videos thru your BB browser at the homepage they program in for you under Bookmarks, labeled as Home. From that page click on Entertainment, then Videos, the VCast. There is a link to the Youtube mobile site on that same menu.
    12-16-08 08:23 AM
    It would seem I am not too bright. I signed up for the 45 buck plan thinking I just wanted
    the most out of my storm. I don't use corporate anything. You think they will let me change it to
    the 30 plan?

Just change your plan. It won't be hard to do.
    12-16-08 09:05 AM
    I swear, Crackberry is a God send!!!

I was browsing this morning and came across this thread and altho it didn't pique my interest in particular, I decided to read it. After having read it, I called up VZ customer service and managed to save myself $15/mo! The reason being that I'm not using the Storm for work and downgraded myself to the $30 data plan vs. $45 plan. For whatever reason, the CS rep at the store (when I bought the phone on 11/21) put me on the $45 plan w/o even explaining to me why he did it and w/o bothering to ask me even IF I'd needed it.

All in all, I'm one happy camper with paying $15/mo less than what I was before thanks to you Crackberry addicts.
    12-16-08 09:59 AM

the $30 plan is "unlimited" just as much as the $45 plan. they both are considered "unlimited".

This.

I was amazed to see the amount of information given to the OP as fact that was very incorrect. I work for VZW and this post is accurate.
    12-16-08 10:11 AM
    This.

I was amazed to see the amount of information given to the OP as fact that was very incorrect. I work for VZW and this post is accurate.
    Here is currently what is availible on a new account for the storm according to the VZW site. looks like tethering is still $15.00. At least is was last night when I added it it to my new personal account I opened on 12/05/08. Unless your work uses a BES server go with the BIS plan. We use Exchange for work e-mail but we do not have a BES server so all our users have the BIS plan

Calling feature charges will be billed separately with your Verizon Wireless service plan.

Please select for your order:
    For Internet access and email on your new BlackBerry, choose a Verizon Wireless BlackBerry feature below. This discounted phone offer requires that you maintain one of these BlackBerry features for six months:
    Monthly
    Price
    BlackBerry Enterprise Solution � unlimited Internet and BlackBerry email (BES) View Details $44.99
    BlackBerry Email and Web � push email for ten accounts, plus Internet access View Details $29.99

To send and receive text, picture, video, or instant messages, choose a Verizon IN Messaging feature below:

IN Messaging 5000 - unlimited messages to Verizon customers + 5000 out of network View Details $20.00
    IN Messaging 1500 - unlimited messages to Verizon customers + 1500 out of network View Details $15.00
    IN Messaging 500 - unlimited messages to Verizon customers + 500 out of network View Details $10.00
    Messaging 250 � send & receive 250 text, picture, or video messages View Details $5.00
    None $0.00

Use your Verizon cell phone as a wireless modem for your laptop:

Broadband Access Connect - wireless Internet access on your laptop (first month free) View Details $15.00
    None $0.00

Don't get stranded again! With Roadside Assistance from Verizon Wireless, you have peace of mind to travel safely.

Emergency Roadside Assistance � includes towing, jump starts, and more View Details $3.00
    None $0.00
    12-16-08 10:28 AM
    Yeah, all that you have to do is call 611 and change the plan. Tell them that you want the 29.99 plan for your device. This will give you BIS access, if that's all that you need.
    12-16-08 06:16 PM
    the 30 plan?

Surley, just tell them you do not need BES.
    12-16-08 06:24 PM
    It's been mentioned that there is a 5GB soft cap on these $30 unlimited email/internet data plans. I never knew about that until now. I always thought it really was 'unlimited'. I guess it still is if most say that it's really hard to go over?

Just curious though, what would VZW do to you if you did indeed go over all the time like mentioned earlier? Have any of you gone over? I hope I don't run into problems, as I like to stream youtube videos, but maybe only a couple a week, and for maybe a couple hours each time. Just how much streaming would you have to do? Are we talking like majority of the day, and every day of the month?

Thanks guys!
    12-17-08 08:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD