So what do you wish your Storm 2 did that makes you reconsider your choice?
    Hi guys and gals, after weeks of hands-on and online research, I think I'm ready to renew early with Telus and get a 9550 Storm 2 to replace my trusty 8130 Pearl. I'm sticking with a CDMA device so I can utilize my unltd data and great voice plan. Before I finally take the plunge (and pay $350 for a handset because I'm only halfway through my 3-year), I was wondering if you all could tell me what your Storm 2 can't do.
    From what I have gathered, it's an amazing browsing device aside from speed, multimedia playback is passable to good, gaming is great if limited, and the call reception is good as well. I've tried Surepress and found that it suits me just fine. But I'm worried I've forgotten to ask some question...

My only real alternatives to a Storm 2 are a Tour or holding out for an Essex, but memory leaks etc are really killing my love for my Pearl. I use [and love!] an Otterbox Defender, so physical battery pulls are a giant PITA for me. I NEED A NEW BLACKBERRY!

Thanks folks.
    signed
    the new guy. Long time listener, first time caller.
    04-14-10 06:47 AM
    I was wondering if you all could tell me what your Storm 2 can't do.
    Talk and surf at the same time. Thats really about it

[ so physical battery pulls are a giant PITA for me.
    Get quickpull. Then you'll never have to do a battery pull again.
    04-14-10 07:11 AM
    So what do you wish your Storm 2 did that makes you reconsider your choice?
    Hi guys and gals, after weeks of hands-on and online research, I think I'm ready to renew early with Telus and get a 9550 Storm 2 to replace my trusty 8130 Pearl. I'm sticking with a CDMA device so I can utilize my unltd data and great voice plan. Before I finally take the plunge (and pay $350 for a handset because I'm only halfway through my 3-year), I was wondering if you all could tell me what your Storm 2 can't do.
    From what I have gathered, it's an amazing browsing device aside from speed, multimedia playback is passable to good, gaming is great if limited, and the call reception is good as well. I've tried Surepress and found that it suits me just fine. But I'm worried I've forgotten to ask some question...

My only real alternatives to a Storm 2 are a Tour or holding out for an Essex, but memory leaks etc are really killing my love for my Pearl. I use [and love!] an Otterbox Defender, so physical battery pulls are a giant PITA for me. I NEED A NEW BLACKBERRY!

Thanks folks.
    signed
    the new guy. Long time listener, first time caller.

I really wish i had a flash player...sux i can not view online flash videos....only gripe i have
    04-14-10 07:24 AM
    Good news; the only time I have to reset the S2 is when an app update requests it.

What do I wish it would do? Laundry, cooking, cleaning...lol. OK, like everyone else I'm wanting a good browser with Flash support. That's all I can really think of right now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-14-10 07:34 AM
    Talk and surf at the same time. Thats really about it
    Actually, the S2 can... as long as its not on a CDMA network . This is a CDMA issue, not a phone issue.

Get quickpull. Then you'll never have to do a battery pull again.
    Or get QuickLaunch and make use of the Reset feature it has . Either way... either one... are must have apps IMO. Although I agree with Chuck, I never to reset my S2 unless some install or update of an app requires it (or I have to switch batteries after a day of heavy use without the ability to charge the thing).
    04-14-10 08:41 AM
    watch flash videos online... i gave up on essex and while i look back, its just because i like looking to see when the actual date will be.. its funny how it keeps getting pushed back and back
    04-14-10 09:47 AM
    Thanks guys, sounds like stuff I can handle. I forgot to mention that I also read a fair amount of ebooks on my little Pearl screen, but it seems like Mobipocket is now working for Storm screens.
    How do xls files look on the Storm2? That's one of the other things I need to start doing as part of my preschool dad duties: editing a to-do list for each parent from a large excel class list. Which would also give me all 70 households' contact info without clogging up my BB contacts.

Last edited by Clead; 04-14-10 at 01:04 PM.
    04-14-10 11:36 AM
    I wish it would take out the trash and wash my vehicles.
    04-14-10 12:17 PM
    I wish it would have a brighter LED. I realize they moved the location to achieve the blending, but still, would be nicer to have it a bit brighter. I love that it's much more blended than the S1, so an orange is actually orange and not Red+yellow, but with that said, even using BerryBuzz to get the "bright" colors, there are times I can't even see the color of the LED in the office (nothing more than regular fluorescents overhead).

Otherwise, I'm happy
    04-14-10 12:36 PM
    I wish it would have a brighter LED. I realize they moved the location to achieve the blending, but still, would be nicer to have it a bit brighter. I love that it's much more blended than the S1, so an orange is actually orange and not Red+yellow, but with that said, even using BerryBuzz to get the "bright" colors, there are times I can't even see the color of the LED in the office (nothing more than regular fluorescents overhead).

Otherwise, I'm happy
    It's very bright--the issue with apparent brightness is the angle at which you view the phone, when you are looking for an LED indication. Look at it from the right side and it should be very bright.
    04-14-10 12:39 PM
    It's very bright--the issue with apparent brightness is the angle at which you view the phone, when you are looking for an LED indication. Look at it from the right side and it should be very bright.
    That makes sense. Definitely not a true issue, and I'll take the blending over the brightness anyway (I HATED having to guess what color was up on my S1)
    04-14-10 12:45 PM
    you can always get the 9700 also and keep your data planm plus you would be getting the 3G+ hspa network
    04-14-10 12:47 PM
    How do xls files look on the Storm2? That's one of the other things u need to
    They are definitely work-able, but it's personal preference. I started out on WinMo creating and editing .xls files on a smaller screen than the S2 (first with the Treo 700w, then moved to the HTC Tilt) and had no issues, other than the occasional scrolling frustrations.

Now, on the S2, I use em like a champ.
    04-14-10 12:49 PM
    Wowcoolman, I have to stay on CDMA to keep my $15 unltd data and included USA texting. Otherwise I have to switch to a $25/500mb data plan and pay 60c each USA text. Plus Telus' HSPA network is not "there" yet.

Lol, at your quote spyderman09, "...u need" I'm done with Suretype! I don't really have to extensive work on my Excel pages, mostly referring with light edits. I find a lot of technical info in xls table form too, so being able to refer and add notes to them would be great. I never bothered on my pearl just because of the screen size.
    Thanks guys, I'll be calling Telus in the next few days and scoring a 9550

04-14-10 01:53 PM
    So much depends on your personal use and what is IMPORTANT to you may not even be on the radar screen for others. I'll have to agree with the above posts that Flash is something I wish it could do (and of course, I wish it had a better native browser (please don't tell me to get Opera Mini or Bolt, tried 'em both multiple times and deleted them).

Not sure what OS your new S2 will come with but if Telus is going to release it with .607 on it, you're going to have some problems, this OS does not float my boat, there are numerous problems. Hopefully, a new OS will come out soon to resolve some of these rather basic kerfuffles (and I'm being extremely restrained and polite when I describe it that way).
    04-14-10 02:00 PM
    I wish it would make be breakfast in the morning.... had my 9550 since Jan (came from 9530), has been rock solid. I have not needed to do a battery pull since I got it, only resets have been due to new or removed applications.
    04-14-10 02:03 PM
    The native browser has awesome navigation. It just lacks a little in speed (but it has been getting much faster with the latest releases). What I highly recommend you do is bind a convenience key to show the virtual keyboard. That way, if you want to scroll back to the top, you just have to show the keyboard and press "T" (or "B" for bottom). It will save you a lot of trouble from what originally was my biggest gripe with the Storm.
    04-14-10 02:08 PM
    Yours doesn't make breakfast? Huh....mine has always done that (and even more morning treats . You should probably complain and demand a replacement!!

Seriously though, the whole "battery pull" thing is more a remnant of S1 issues than anything else. People just assumed this was "standard BB treatment." I've never, ever had to do a pull on my S2 either, unless an app required it during installation. Nor is memory an issue, mine remains absolutely stable......going up or down just a few KB during the day.

This being said, I've seen many, many posts where S2 owners are stating that they have a simulated pull SCHEDULED everyday...just out of routine

I wish it would make be breakfast in the morning.... had my 9550 since Jan (came from 9530), has been rock solid. I have not needed to do a battery pull since I got it, only resets have been due to new or removed applications.
    04-14-10 02:23 PM
    Thanks guys, sounds like stuff I can handle. I forgot to mention that I also read a fair amount of ebooks on my little Pearl screen, but it seems like Mobipocket is now working for Storm screens.

Just wanted to mention that KOBO offers a free download for reading e-books that i have on my S1 and find it works great. I paid $300 for my wife's Kindle, and yet i have access to even more books than she does and my app was free! (Albeit i don't have a 6" view screeen )
    04-14-10 03:25 PM
    Tell me more about the ebook reader! I umm... acquired several thousand ebooks in. .pdf and .lit format that I would love to read without converting first!

04-14-10 03:30 PM
    i have a storm 1 and am looking to bump to S2... i love the S1 and i know i'll love S2 even more. however, the thing i would really really love is if storm 1 and or 2 could pinch zoom and do it fast like iphone and other phones out there.

browsing experience could be faster but luckily we have Bolt and Opera. Flash would def be nice too, I know some nokias running skyfire can do that.
    04-14-10 06:19 PM
    I've never, ever had to do a pull on my S2 either, unless an app required it during installation. Nor is memory an issue, mine remains absolutely stable......going up or down just a few KB during the day.
    hehe.. this is great - im looking fwd to that! (on S1 currently)
    04-14-10 06:22 PM
    There isn't a need to battery pull unless you install/delete stuff.

My best uptime for storm 2 was like 27 days.
    04-14-10 06:41 PM
    There isn't a need to battery pull unless you install/delete stuff.

My best uptime for storm 2 was like 27 days.
    when u delete an app, you are given a choice to reboot the phone. answer "yes" and it will restart, deleting the app. I've had some seriously screwy issues when I've elected not to reboot. I've gotten all sorts of memory allocation errors and other crap.. I've learned to always reboot at the time of deletion, unless I'm going to delete several apps--then I choose "reboot" after the last app is "deleted". I also don't trust App World on my phone. seems that was probably (not conclusively, but it seems to be the "smoking gun") for all my previous issues with storms and storm2's.
    04-14-10 07:10 PM
    Actually, the S2 can... as long as its not on a CDMA network . This is a CDMA issue, not a phone issue.
    Really? His questions was, what can your Storm not do?

Or get QuickLaunch and make use of the Reset feature it has . Either way... either one... are must have apps IMO. Although I agree with Chuck, I never to reset my S2 unless some install or update of an app requires it (or I have to switch batteries after a day of heavy use without the ability to charge the thing).
    Ummmm okay.
    04-15-10 06:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD