I am 18 and have never broken a single phone, lost one, or anything. I have had 10-15 phones in the past years (upgraded, changed carriers a couple times, etc) and all of them end up being sold, traded, or donated to the battered women's shelter. I am more than responsible enough, and don't need some 50-something to tell me so. I pay for my data plan, have 3 jobs and several extra-curriculars. It really depends on the kid, not the age. Everyone is different, although I would disagree to giving a phone to anyone younger than high school. I have had unrestricted access to the internet since I was 8 (back when we had to use AOL!). I turned out just fine, although there are a lot of stupid users out there...
    03-24-09 03:47 PM
    LOL i'm sitting here watching this thread cus i find it interesting.......i was thinking about it though and honestly, I don't think i got my FIRST phone till I was about 14...and it was that blue, brick phone from Nokia that came for free and only had snake, texting and calling. greyscale screen, no camera.....my times have changed.
    My first phone was a StarTac when I was 15 or 16 I think. One of the greatest phones ever made. It's a shame to see where Motorola has gone since then.

After that I got a Motorola V710, then E815, followed by a Treo 700w for my first smart phone and now am finally on a BB Storm. Love the BB. I'm almost 23.

*Edit*

I am also a firm believer in phone insurance. I had my V710/E815 (cant remember which one) fall in the toilet one time, dropped the same phone down a huge hill on the street getting out of my car, and dropped my Treo in my red solo filled with beer in college (that was the most ********). It's nice to know that all I'd have to do is cough up $50 and get a brand new one (pretty much).
    Last edited by FluxTZ; 03-24-09 at 03:56 PM.
    03-24-09 03:53 PM
    Kid, I think you should start from the bottom and get a ****ty iPhone then when you become man enough your dad should get you a Storm.
    03-24-09 04:08 PM
    i am a 13 year old and have a storm and browse this forum

i love my storm.

also to all the people dissing him, its not to be cool, its to get a phone with many features that he can use.

i came from a voyager btw.

im a straight A student and am a good kid i rarely get in trouble.

in my school (7th and 8th) i know a ton of kids with blackberries ranging from pearls to storms, its normal, maybe not normal for all the older people (no offense) but like dmg said were growing up in a different time
    Last edited by tehBrad; 03-24-09 at 04:20 PM.
    03-24-09 04:14 PM

i love my storm.

also to all the people dissing him, its not to be cool, its to get a phone with many features that he can use.

in my school (7th and 8th) i know a ton of kids with blackberries ranging from pearls to storms, its normal, maybe not normal for all the older people (no offense) but like dmg said were growing up in a different time
    wow! sorry to say this but i completely agree
    03-24-09 05:01 PM

i love my storm.

just wrong. no justification at all. 13.. my son is 13. Him with a BB?? hahahaha! would never happen. Spoiled brats, I say!
    03-24-09 05:05 PM
    I love all the people on here who are parents but they suck at parenting their own children so they feel the need to parent people over the internet.

Take in mind teens nowadays are growing up in a completely different generation. Probably all of the parents on here and "e-parents" as I like to call them, didn't even know what a cell phone was when they were 13 years old. Just because someone is young does not mean they are irresponsible. (I'm neither young nor an old fart)
    Last edited by Veritas89; 03-24-09 at 05:12 PM.
    03-24-09 05:07 PM
    holy thread resurrection batman.

anyhow.. the whole point of this thread was a kid needed help convincing his parents that he should get a storm. truthfully, if you can do this on your own, then sure, you can have one. but if you can't justify it to those who would end up paying for it (or work some agreement out to pay for the plan yourself) then you probably aren't mature enough to have one.
    03-24-09 05:12 PM
    LOL, I loved reading this. I am 16 and the storm is my third smartphone. I had a treo and a pearl previous to my storm. I pay my $70 bill every month myself. I have an excellent job and make almost double then some people twice my age. I am in grade 11 and use my storm as my agenda, I don't think I could live with out it. I think the majority of the older generation on this forum have to realize today's youth is much different then from say 20yrs ago. Almost all my buddies are rockin some kind of PDA, the ones with a BB I talk to them through BBM. I love my storm, I payed for it and am paying the monthly fee. When I get the bill I always think it would be nice to pay 30 or so but you gotta pay to play! For reference I use my phone to its full potential everyday.

I honestly think if you can't come up with a good enough reason to have one, then why bother paying the extra dough? Doesn't make a ton of sense. I wish the best of luck to you though, hope you get your phone!
    03-24-09 05:16 PM
    I bet you youngins' can't wait for the BB App Store to open so you can buy this app....

03-24-09 05:36 PM
    Interesting/pointless thread resurrected....

I think people are still reading this because our response tell us something about ourselves.... Or our opinion of the society.

I am 30 and I got my first cell phone when I was 27!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I kind of liked the idea of being able to tell people I am unreachable. There's something cool about that. Just personal preference.

I'm a teacher so I am not that out of touch with times. I think the one thing that bothered me the most is that the OP had terrible grammar - in both of his/her first two posts. That kind of ticked me off.

To keep this short, here are my points:

1) I have been paying for all my own luxuries since I was 14. I taught music lessons so it paid very well. If it's your own money I believe you can spend it. So that includes buying the phone YOURSELF, not just the plan.

2) After I read most of the posts here, I think I want to teach the parents more than I want to teach the kids! For parents: Kids always are going to want new, cool things. Nothing will change that - it's peer influence! But I always considered growing up rather poor to be a blessing. It taught me a lot about working hard, and treasure what you have. So if you want to teach your children that they don't have to work hard to get things, buy them whatever they want. They are your kids!

3) Also for parents - By the way, the same kid who thinks the Storm is cool will want something else in 6 months. What do you do then?

4) The first job of a grade-school kid is SCHOOL. So yeah, if you are falling asleep in class and never studies and still gets straight As, then by all means. But if not, focus on school first!

5) Ever thought about a good laptop ($500) that will help you write your papers? By the way, they do emails too. Haha.

Finally, some responses I have for you cool people:

u people dont realize how many 14 year olds have blackberries these days, im 25 my sister is 15 like EVERY one of her friends have a blackberry curve or an iphone about a 50/50 mix
    "u people" also realize how many 14-year-olds don't (spelled with an apostrophe) know how to write properly and how they don't pay for anything themselves. I think that's what they are bothered by.

no one " needs " a cell phone, no one " needs " a nice car
    I actually realized I "need" a cellphone finally. I commute a long way to work and I am responsible for my students. So yeah, if I am not there because of traffic, I need to call the office and find coverage! Major reason why I got a phone finally!!!

By the way, jkunk, I notice lots of very short posts - bumping post counts?

A 14 year old can use a phone all he wants. But really, phones distract kids in school and interacting with people and building strong people skills, which are key and a big part of school even.....
    Regardless, a phone is one thing, a blackberry is another. If you're willing to pay the $30/month data plan and additionally the $6/month insurance (for two years mind you).....
    Nice eloquent post.

Well i was going to stay out of this one but I just cant help it. There is absolutely no reason for a 14 year old to own a BB. None, period. Be grateful to have a cellphone at all at 14. In my house it was no phone until 16 and thats only because of an emergency driving accident.
    .......As for the other highschool kids who have BB and are trying to justify owning it, get over yourself. You dont need one either. You want it as a "look at me" device. I am in my going into my final semester ....
    Hahahah I couldn't stay out of this either!!!!!!!!!!

why doesnt this child just get an iphone like the rest of the children i see?
    BEST POST BY FAR!!!!!! I WISH I WAS SMART AND FUNNY LIKE YOU BACK STABBATH!!!!!!!

And to trebb, whom lots of people grilled - at least you wrote with correct grammar! So cheers to you! HA!
    03-24-09 06:57 PM
    When I was 16 cell phones came in bags or were installed in your car and the cost thousands. I did have a "Mac" back then, but it was called an Apple II.
    03-24-09 07:40 PM
    I bet you youngins' can't wait for the BB App Store to open so you can buy this app....

LOL, good one.
    03-24-09 07:58 PM
    can we get PBS to host this thread as an After School Special? ****!
    03-24-09 08:05 PM
    get a voyager and go wild on texting...ur 14
    03-24-09 08:13 PM
    Be lucky you might even get a phone! At 14 I couldn't justify one with the exception if you are engaged in after school activities that you may need to let your parents know of schedule changes.
    03-24-09 08:43 PM
    I was 19 or 20 when I got my first phone. My dad just sent me a cell and said here's your phone. I didn't get a say in which kind of cell. I would drive home from college on an old dodge omni--- he worried about me being stranded somewhere

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-03-09 08:38 PM
    You could teach your dad about the chaperone phones & talk him into getting one of those for you. Then he could always use the phone gps to track your location at any time.

And then teach him how to use his storm so he can get the most out of HIS phone
    04-03-09 08:45 PM
    try to show ur dad that you are responsible. i have been paying my cell phone bill since i was 15. i got a part time job which paid my cell phone bill plus a few extras. im now about to be 19 and im on like my 5th berry. lol plus the other 54 phones in between. no joke!

its cool to fit in with all the other kids in school trust me i know ive been there, but its also cool knowing that your paying for your own stuff.
    04-29-09 03:40 AM
    Storm is not for you. Teachers will catch you texting in class and will take your phone away. Plus, you have no real need for a data plan. You won't actually use it since the internet is too slow to fit any of your needs. You would use it for maybe 2 weeks, and although you might be telling yourself differently right now when you read it, it's the truth.
    04-29-09 05:32 AM
    quit bumping old pathetic posts!
    04-29-09 05:42 AM
    What i think ( even my daughter ) i say it is based on responsability, and accountability. I am a father as well, and i would expect both essentials to be covered before i turn over expensive hardware i pay for. Are you accountable for your actions? Are you responsable?

At the end of the day, everything is your fault, your at the age where you can control and create the outcome of any situation. Once you become accountable for your actions, good or bad, you will achieve all you desire.

You want the Storm from dad? Really?

Use passion, not reason, feeling and emotion, not anger or fustration. For having these things, anything can be achieved.
    04-29-09 06:04 AM
    All these references to "ur" have me wondering what a ziggurat has to do with the Storm.
    04-29-09 09:51 AM
    I didn't have a cell phone until I was a senior in high school. A Storm for a kid your age just isn't smart. You won't get out of it what you pay for. My kids won't be getting a phone like that unless they feel like paying for it themselves.
    Last edited by bradleyd16; 04-29-09 at 10:26 AM.
    04-29-09 10:20 AM
    A 14 year old asking for a Blackberry...God I'm afraid to have children...

Seriously though, it's beyond overkill for your age bracket. The only way I could even fathom the idea of you needing a BB is if you were some child-prodigy business mogul selling and buying people daily.

Seriously though, don't waste your father's money.
    04-29-09 11:30 AM
308 ... 7891011 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD