I am thirteen and have a storm. Haven't dropped it once, haven't bricked it once... Nothing bad has happend to it. I have had since X-mas of 08.
    05-01-09 06:12 AM
    When I was 14, the only person that I "knew" with a cell phone was Zack Morris.
    05-01-09 06:50 AM
    More dollars than sense?
    This saying holds very true in this case
    05-01-09 07:40 AM
    When I was 14, the only person that I "knew" with a cell phone was Zack Morris.
    Agreed! And after watching him use that brick, I dont think I ever wanted one then
    05-01-09 07:42 AM
    My dad is concerned with him giving me is NE2 Storm even tho he doesn't really use his WE except for checking EMAIL and not send.

He believes that im too "young" for a BB and that i have no need for it. Im currently 14. What should i say?
    Too young. Teenagers have no business having blackberries. Not trying to be a **** but I see what you kids do to regular phones and you will ruin this one. I work in a store and I see the mangled phones you kids bring in, "my phone stopped working and I don't know why" rofl.
    05-01-09 08:41 AM
    Definitely to young for a storm ... Or any BB for that matter.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-01-09 08:45 AM
    I think the general rule is that if you are in the throes of puberty, then you should not be sporting a Blackberry.
    05-01-09 08:58 AM
    hey so i dont know if this is the right forum i should b in but im experiancing very slow texting on my blackberry storm can anyone help?????
    05-01-09 10:02 AM
    Umm...

Search?
    05-01-09 10:31 AM
    My daughter is 19.
    There's no way I'd pay for a BB for her.
    Her mother and I paid for regular cell phone service for years for her and I finally said enough was enough. When I pulled the plug, we all got along better. No more screaming about expensive cell phone bills ever again. She has a cell phone these days, but she's responsible for it. I firmly believe that the first step in teaching financial responsibility is to force your kids to pay for their own way.

Something as small as a cell phone will definitely teach that sort of responsibility - especially when said child is done paying through the nose because you went way over your provider's plan. Live & learn, do not repeat.
    05-01-09 10:58 AM
    hey everyone wheres the kid who started this? hope he didnt do anything drastic to himself cuz we all pumped up his self esteem. if hes 14 arguing to have a BB maybe he doesnt understand our perspectives? i dont know just hope the kid is alright, not acting out toward his parents or causing some self harm cuz he didnt get what he wanted or found the answer he was looking for.

BTW...all the people saying **** no to your kids, kudos to you, the convenience of accessibility to social networks is not a right to your children but a luxury. dont spoil your kids your doing them a disfavor.
    05-01-09 11:39 AM
    My daughter is 19.
    There's no way I'd pay for a BB for her.
    Her mother and I paid for regular cell phone service for years for her and I finally said enough was enough. When I pulled the plug, we all got along better. No more screaming about expensive cell phone bills ever again. She has a cell phone these days, but she's responsible for it. I firmly believe that the first step in teaching financial responsibility is to force your kids to pay for their own way.

Something as small as a cell phone will definitely teach that sort of responsibility - especially when said child is done paying through the nose because you went way over your provider's plan. Live & learn, do not repeat.
    what i put in bold is extremely true! im 19 and have to pay for a family plan! shared 450 minutes, insurance on 3 phones, unlimited texting on 1 phone, a limited text plan on the other phone, and the 9.99 each for those 2 phones that i have added onto my plan. oh yeah! and the 30 dollars for my storm. comes out to be around $170 a month.
    05-01-09 11:52 AM
    So I've only read out to the 3rd page of this post but I have some advice. I'm 23 and in highschool didn't have a phone. I wanted one so I got on pre-pay by my self and had what I thought at the time was a bad a$$ device. Then a buddy of mine and I started a post paid fam share plan and split the bill. About a year into that contract I realized how pricey phone bills are. Then I found a solution: Work for the cell phone company and get a fat discount. Any whoo the point I'm making is (and looking on web for advice is a good start) think outside the box, brainstorm with buddies, and just ponder. There has to be a cord to strike with your father that will allow him to let you have it. If not may just have to man up and work way to much to pay for the entire thing yourself on some homeless dudes (with good credit if you don't want a deposits) plan.
    05-01-09 12:12 PM
    Here's the script...

"Dad, you're right. I've thought about it and I'll go with the Dare. I love you".

It'll make many things much easier for quite some time.
    Amen to this! As the parent of teenagers, there is no way they would have a bb yet. Like other posters have said, I've seen what they do to their phones and how they treat them. No way, too young to appreciate it for what it is!!! Maybe if they could pay for it themselves they would appreciate it.
    05-01-09 12:16 PM
    Too young. Teenagers have no business having blackberries. Not trying to be a **** but I see what you kids do to regular phones and you will ruin this one. I work in a store and I see the mangled phones you kids bring in, "my phone stopped working and I don't know why" rofl.
    It has nothing to do with age, it all about the maturity of people...
    05-01-09 02:32 PM
    My dad is concerned with him giving me is NE2 Storm even tho he doesn't really use his WE except for checking EMAIL and not send.

He believes that im too "young" for a BB and that i have no need for it. Im currently 14. What should i say?
    You should say "I agree Dad". Not only is it correct, (sorry buddy, but its the truth), it has the added benefit of helping build your 'maturity' cred with him to move that "old enough for a BB" date up as far as possible.

But if you're anything like I was/most are at 14, if it isn't right now it might as well be never. By the time he's ok with you having one you'll want something else, like a motorcycle, and repeat the process over again.
    05-01-09 02:51 PM
    Did you seriously just compare a phone (that his dad got for $200) to a $200,000 Ferrari?

IT'S A PHONE PEOPLE

I agree with the post above, seems like a lot of you are jealous. If his dad decides to give it to him then let him have the phone.

I'm 24 and this is my second Blackberry, although I paid for both devices myself, I don't really see the big deal about having a Blackberry. My parents don't even have Blackberries yet my 17 year old brother and I do. It's not that big a deal.

Also, to the OP, if your dad axes the idea of a Storm, no biggie. I doubt you'd have many folks to BBM with anyway.

so much the idea of having the bb. But when you earn something�ater h( handed to oy

05-01-09 03:12 PM
    Its not so much the bb. Its fact that he is 14...he prob don't have a job. So parents pay the bills. Where is a 14 year old gonna get 100 plus a month for a phone bill. Besides when u work for something you respect it more. If he wants get an envy lol

05-01-09 03:22 PM
    If you think you would be able to use the phone to its full ability like emailing and reminders and all that then go for it, but I'm 18 about to go off to college and I barely utilize its features enough to say I need one. Although I've fallen in love with it and can't imagine going back to a normal phone. If I were your dad I'd buy you grammar work books instead. Not that my grammar is perfect but damn.
    05-01-09 03:29 PM
    I'm 21 and pay for it all myself. Since I had to do so, I'm uber responsible with my storm. I take better care of it than some people do their own children (cough, octomom, cough). But accidents happen and I find myself dropping it on a regular basis. I'd be horrified to even hold such a creation at 14, let alone be responsible for it WHEN (not if) I dropped it.
    05-01-09 04:30 PM
    It's sickening what some of you people say about how teenagers don't need Blackberrys. No one NEEDS a Blackberry. I am 18 and I use mine for my company and myself. The majority of you I could run circles around with anything technology related. I taught myself C, C++, and Java, I run my own server and host for several friends websites, I ported Android to a phone I have on my own with the help of some friends. You guys are ridiculous, although everyone is different. I don't know why you elderly speak to us younger members so condescendingly. I don't need to justify my needs anymore, mainly because some of you have it in your head that you know everything. Besides that, I don't really care what you say, I have a Blackberry and there is nothing you can do about it
    05-01-09 05:34 PM
    Wow. Ok I am 18 and run my own business and am going to be taking over a large worldwide business soon. As far as whether or not you need a Storm, or a BlackBerry in general you sure as heck don't. These phones are not toys like iPhones and were meant for business professionals. No offense honey but these phones are too complicated for a 14 year old who is only interested in texting and googling pictures of the Jonas Brothers all day. As far as I am concerned it's too expensive for a kid and your father has a good point.

05-04-09 02:44 AM
    I love how some of you guys think a 14 year old shouldn't have a phone. Get with the times, please.

I had my first phone in 7th grade and had texting. I'm 17 now. I bought my first Blackberry on eBay (8130) and then I used my father's NE2 for my Storm. I don't pay for the data plan, but I work often (20 hours a week) and offered to pay any that they wanted me to.

That being said, it's really up to your dad. Despite what people say, the Storm is not primarily a business phone. I'm not a business user, but I someday hope to be. I loved my Pearl and am growing to love my Storm. I use the calendar and such to help me remember simple tasks and school assignments. I browse the internet when I'm bored and use it to help out with little things in school. (forgetting you had a test then reading the sparknotes before homeroom=love)

Don't listen to the people here. It's really up to you and your dad. Will you use the internet and the other features offered? If you think so, then go for it. I'm 17 (18 in January) and I think I certainly use the phone to its full potential. I love getting my e-mail to stay on top of all my college application stuff too. In the end, it's not about what we think, but what you think.
    Ahem the friggin point is NOT that she shouldn't have a phone. It's that she can, but does NOT NEED A 248.00 A MONTH PHONE. Can you read?

05-04-09 02:51 AM
    Ok as far as your "electronic knowledge"
    I own a 14.6 mill a year web design business. Nobody cares about what I do and nobody cares about your knowledge of this ****.
    The point and question here is should the kids daddy but her a phone plan, or not. Go program a computer and stop being a bigot.
    It's sickening what some of you people say about how teenagers don't need Blackberrys. No one NEEDS a Blackberry. I am 18 and I use mine for my company and myself. The majority of you I could run circles around with anything technology related. I taught myself C, C++, and Java, I run my own server and host for several friends websites, I ported Android to a phone I have on my own with the help of some friends. You guys are ridiculous, although everyone is different. I don't know why you elderly speak to us younger members so condescendingly. I don't need to justify my needs anymore, mainly because some of you have it in your head that you know everything. Besides that, I don't really care what you say, I have a Blackberry and there is nothing you can do about it
    05-04-09 02:55 AM
    I'm 16 and I have a storm, but I actually have a use for it and my parents make me pay for the data plan.

05-04-09 03:28 AM
308 ... 910111213
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD