Wow... when i was 14, i asked for a pager and my parents laughed at me! They got me one for christmas when i was 16 and made me pay for the plan. I quickly got over the excitement/ coolness of having a pager when i realized it was actually a leash....

Careful what you wish for.
    04-29-09 12:35 PM
    you are too young dude. you cant formulate a sentence that makes sense
    04-29-09 12:37 PM
    Check out some of the newer qwerty phones coming out. They have the full keyboard, sms, mms, email and internet. Assuming that's all you were looking for.
    Plus with a less sophisticated device it'll probably take slightly more of a beating than a Blackberry. At 14 that should be more of a concern than any of the features it has.
    When I was 14 I was skating boarding, running through the woods, having a great time. Not that there where cell phones.
    But still once I hit 16 or 17 my Father would give me his cell from work. A huge base in a leather shoulder bag that had a corded reciever attached. That was only at night on the weekends when I would go out skating with my friends one of which had a car.
    Ahh the good ole days.
    Now if I don't have my BlackBerry on me I feel naked.
    04-29-09 12:52 PM
    Nobody is too young for a blackberry!
    the only problem I see is you probably wont use close to half the features. You will probably txt and make phone calls. If thats all you are doing I would get a basic phone.
    04-29-09 12:56 PM
    This is what I would have said if you were my son:

"When you're old enough to have a job to pay for it and show you are responsible at having and using it, then you can get a BlackBerry. Until then, you will get what I am paying for."

I know - you would hate me as a mom. But that's how I feel.
    04-29-09 01:08 PM
    how about, you list the reasons that you NEED a blackberry storm, and we will justify from there if your condition is blackberry worthy
    04-29-09 01:28 PM
    how about, you list the reasons that you NEED a blackberry storm, and we will justify from there if your condition is blackberry worthy
    Thats a great idea.

Honestly, the Dare will be just fine for him.
    04-29-09 02:37 PM
    I love how condescending some of these posts are. I'm currently a student that works part-time (20-30 hrs a week depending if our company servers crash or something REAL bad happens) and I make about 30-40k a year before taxes. (FU CALIFORNIA FOR GIVING ME AN IOU). Would you all look down on me and say "HAHA I WORK 40 HOURS A WEEK AND AM > YOU" like some of you come off as? **** I'd rather be working full-time versus going to school full time and working part time as I am now.

Times have changed, school isn't exactly easy nowadays when you could get 1400 on the SAT and get into any college you wanted. Get off your high horses.
    04-29-09 02:54 PM
    I love how condescending some of these posts are. I'm currently a student that works part-time (20-30 hrs a week depending if our company servers crash or something REAL bad happens) and I make about 30-40k a year before taxes. (FU CALIFORNIA FOR GIVING ME AN IOU). Would you all look down on me and say "HAHA I WORK 40 HOURS A WEEK AND AM > YOU" like some of you come off as? **** I'd rather be working full-time versus going to school full time and working part time as I am now.

Times have changed, school isn't exactly easy nowadays when you could get 1400 on the SAT and get into any college you wanted. Get off your high horses.
    I agree that the complex many users here have is pure stupidity. I graduated from college and work full time and have a BB, but I sure as **** don't need it. It's a personal BB and I don't even receive my work email on it. Does that make me less "worthy"? Of course not. It's like some people want to keep BlackBerries to themselves so they can feel better about themselves, rofl. Simply being in high school, or not working full time, or not needing a business device do not make BlackBerries useless. Money potentially better spent elsewhere? Maybe. Is that for you to decide? Not unless it's your money.
    04-29-09 03:24 PM
    You should say nothing and listen to your father as a mother of 3 my children did NOT need a cell phone until they were 16 and driving on their own to their work, school, etc. AND if they did NOT keep their grades up they wouldn't even get to use the car, that what their shoes were for, to walk!

When they did get a cell phone it certainly was NOT a Blackberry, come on, why does a 14 year old need a Blackberry, unless they can pay for the phone, data plan, insurance, etc. all you need WHEN you can drive is a cell phone to make basic calls, text, etc..

If you were my kid this wouldn't even be a discussion after the initial NO..
    04-29-09 03:38 PM
    From the looks of it, he wants a decent web browsing experience. He's already stated that he doesn't do much texting. A decent qwerty phone won't do him any good in the browsing department.
    And tell me trebb why does a 14 year old boy need a decent web browsing experience, while his parents aren't watching??? Things that make you go hmmmmmm
    04-29-09 03:50 PM
    I had a flip-phone till age sixteen, when it got so old it snapped in half.. after that I only had lg's, and i cherished my enV so hard.. I had to beg and plead my dad to get me a Storm, and do a bunch of work for him, and be super good.. I don't even live at home. Now that I think of it, I wasn't allowed to have a cell phone between the ages of 14 till beginning of sixteen, cause my parents thought i would use it to sneak out. The only reason I got a phone was because they divorced and I had to have a way to communicate with them separately without them having to talk to each other.
    04-29-09 03:50 PM
    My brother is 17 and he has one.

He uses it for music, some apps, Facebook, etc.

I don't see what the big deal is, you guys are talking like it's some sorta dangerous weapon. And with more and more grade school teachers using email to talk to students as well as the typical in class lecture, having a Blackberry wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Most of us don't "need" a Blackberry, much like most people don't "need" a cell phone period, we want one. If you (or your rents) have the means, then why not?

Granted the OP's description of his dad's WE and how he uses it...you could argue that his dad doesn't "need" a Blackberry either.

People forget that RIM advertises this thing as a youthful, fun device, it does other stuff than just "send email".
    Last edited by fecurtis; 04-29-09 at 04:04 PM.
    04-29-09 03:58 PM
    Maybe I'm missing something here. Before you address your dad's concerns, you have to know what they are.

1> He believes you're "too young". Maybe if you ask him to explain this further, it would help you to understand. What is it about your age that gives him concern about you owning a BB?

2> You have no need for it. This might be true, but is it the expense of the phone that he's concerned about? or does he really think that you will not use it to its full potential?

Will you be using it for music? (Probably - so maybe he's thinking you'll be hitting him up for a 32GB MicroSD Card as well).

You could explain that you're responsible enough to not be playing with the phone in class.

I've helped to raise 4 children - the oldest of which is 24 now. I remember when we got her a cell phone, we went with pre-paid - as less damage could be done!

Is your dad worried about you going over your minute allocation and running up a crazy bill?

Just my tuppence worth.

My dad is concerned with him giving me is NE2 Storm even tho he doesn't really use his WE except for checking EMAIL and not send.

He believes that im too "young" for a BB and that i have no need for it. Im currently 14. What should i say?
    04-29-09 04:00 PM
    It certainly seems clear that a 14 year old should have absolutely no need for a Blackberry. I would also say a Blackberry is something one has to earn, it's the principal of it. You don't give a young unexperienced driver a Ferrari as their first car, you start out modest and with experience work up accordingly.

Wealthy men and women certainly sacrificed many things to gain the high dollar rewards and toys you obtain later in life after hard work. At 14 I just don't see how much sacrifice and hard work could have come to pass to justify an electronic device that to some is a reward and to others is a necessary tool.

I'm 40 yrs old and the Storm is my first Blackberry, and yes it's a reward for all of the hardwork I have done over the past 22 years.

Just my .02
    04-29-09 04:13 PM
    Sounds like alot of you are jealous.
    04-29-09 04:17 PM
    It certainly seems clear that a 14 year old should have absolutely no need for a Blackberry. I would also say a Blackberry is something one has to earn, it's the principal of it. You don't give a young unexperienced driver a Ferrari as their first car, you start out modest and with experience work up accordingly.

Wealthy men and women certainly sacrificed many things to gain the high dollar rewards and toys you obtain later in life after hard work. At 14 I just don't see how much sacrifice and hard work could have come to pass to justify an electronic device that to some is a reward and to others is a necessary tool.

I'm 40 yrs old and the Storm is my first Blackberry, and yes it's a reward for all of the hardwork I have done over the past 22 years.

Just my .02
    Did you seriously just compare a phone (that his dad got for $200) to a $200,000 Ferrari?

IT'S A PHONE PEOPLE

I agree with the post above, seems like a lot of you are jealous. If his dad decides to give it to him then let him have the phone.

I'm 24 and this is my second Blackberry, although I paid for both devices myself, I don't really see the big deal about having a Blackberry. My parents don't even have Blackberries yet my 17 year old brother and I do. It's not that big a deal.

Also, to the OP, if your dad axes the idea of a Storm, no biggie. I doubt you'd have many folks to BBM with anyway.
    Last edited by fecurtis; 04-29-09 at 04:30 PM.
    04-29-09 04:23 PM
    More dollars than sense?
    04-29-09 04:57 PM
    Jealous??? LMAO yeah okay because that makes sense, jealous of what? A 14 year old who wants us to explain to him how he should make his dad buy him a Blackberry...
    04-29-09 05:09 PM
    Ok I really didn't want to jump in on this but I think it needs to be said that this thread has been going on for FIVE MONTHS (excuse shouting), I believe he already asked for the phone and stopped following the thread.
    04-29-09 05:30 PM
    Ha, the whole reward for hard work bit makes me feel like this is one enormous oldest sibling-style "But when I was his age, I didn't have _______..."

It is one thing if you think that certain age groups have no logical use for a BlackBerry and that it would be a waste of money (which I imagine was what the OP was attempting to argue against). It's another to think that certain age groups are undeserving. Not your call. As long as they aren't stealing it and work it out in one way or another with their parents, that's on them. It's a phone, it's not a gun.
    04-29-09 05:41 PM
    No one really needs a Blackberry, right? Get a job and pay for it. That's what I do.
    04-29-09 05:53 PM
    I'm not jealous, I'm a realist, I didn't have my first cell till I was 16, had a job, and was driving myself around, because I didn't NEED one till then. There's also the issue of responsibility, now I'm not saying every teen is an irresponsible, rude little wretch; but the amount of accidents we've been having in our city lately due to teens texting while driving absolutely dumbfounds me, how can you ever think it's a good idea to send text messages while you're trying to keep your eyes on the road and be a good driver.
    04-29-09 06:01 PM
    Buy a tomigatchi or a gigapet man. You don't need a Blackberry Storm
    04-29-09 06:33 PM
    I'm not jealous, I'm a realist, I didn't have my first cell till I was 16, had a job, and was driving myself around, because I didn't NEED one till then. There's also the issue of responsibility, now I'm not saying every teen is an irresponsible, rude little wretch; but the amount of accidents we've been having in our city lately due to teens texting while driving absolutely dumbfounds me, how can you ever think it's a good idea to send text messages while you're trying to keep your eyes on the road and be a good driver.
    Newsflash "realist" you still don't "NEED" one.

My parents and grandparents didn't have cell phones when they could legally drive...granted it was because they didn't exist but point being, if they didn't "NEED" one, why do we?
    04-30-09 08:10 AM
308 ... 89101112 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD