if you USE it that way, I'd say less than 1/5 of people under 16 or 17 would though....but i dunno, i had a free agenda book that was given to me at the begining of every year that did the job just fine...graduated with a 3.5 non weighted GPA.
    Same here....well, 11 points on a 12 point scale (12 is an A+, 11 is an A, etc, etc.). Never needed a smartphone. Heck...cellphones were against the rules in my high school.
    12-16-08 05:48 PM
    I think you just said it....Google during class, when you SHOULD be paying attention to the teacher. I am not in favor of teenagers having a smart phone, let alone a blackberry....and I'm 23. Tell me I'm old...
    That was a joke. And if you haven't seen what phone I'm using now, then maybe I should take a picture. Its a old, old, Nokia with only voice. Its blue with a big white stripe moving down the side. Not a flip, not a smart phone, not a slider, just a dumb phone with voice and horrible noise cancellation. It also has a huge brown hole in the side of it due to the Civil War. (I've had the thing since I was about 4.)

I have had this computer for 5 years, a lap top. Not one single gnash or snick on it. What I find funny is that actually, the adults here are jealous. Yes, jealous, that we kids are able to buy our own phones and they were not in the first place.

Note: Nearly everyone in my family has a Blackberry. I have a cousin that is 13 who has the BB Bold.

I do agree that if you are completely pushing away everything to your parents, then you may not deserve it. (I may even chip in 50 bucks, even though it is supposed to be a Christmas present from the entire family) And I expect the kids to help with chores and etc, and not be foolish enough to throw it across the room or drop it every time they pick it up. I personally have a surgeons hands, and I respect anything with even the least value.

But what I find foolish, is these adults here trolling this thread. If they are so hard working, why are they posting here? Hmm? I would love for one of those hard working adults to answer that question besides saying you were typing it in a meeting, or your on your break. The only excuse I'd accept is your off of work right now. But shouldn't you be spending that time with your family?

And cell phones are not illegal in school (at least mine). You just have to run a lot of paper work through saying your using it as a organization tool, and that you may only use it in the hallways and during class if you ask for permission. Otherwise, your screwed if your caught. And yes, the only reason I would pull my phone out is to look at dictionary.com or for research, really.

-Posted from a Blackberry.
    Last edited by JuniorD; 12-16-08 at 06:06 PM.
    12-16-08 05:51 PM
    I am 14 and have a Storm. I have owned a Curve, Dare, iPhone 3G, and a few others.

To the OP: I don't see any reason for you to have a Storm. You have not given any real answers to WHY you NEED it. Or for that matter, why you would make good use of it. If you go to school 5 days a week for 6-8 hours a day, and then come home, I don't see why you would need a Storm. You shouldn't be using it during school, so for the time when you are not home or at school, you need to be up to date on what? When is the last time you have missed an opportunity because you were not able to respond to an email fast enough? When is the last time not knowing the latest blog story has effected you in a detrimental way?

Bottom line here, if you cannot justify a reason you want/need the phone to your father, can you even justify it to yourself? If you can, then you should be able to tell your father that reasoning and he will use his judgement as a parent to decide what is right. If you know that he will say no if you told him your reason, you don't need to ask others how to convince him.

If you tell him your true thoughts and he says no, that's that. Don't lie or make up justifications to make him say yes.

Personally, even if you can pay for it and want to take the responsibility, you can't have everything you want. I say this because if your parents allow you to buy everything you want to with your money, you will make bad decisions. Doesn't matter who you are, as a kid, that will happen. Your parents approval is looking out for your best interests.

P.S. If this came out jumbled/confusing.... my bad, multi tasking can be an enemy...

Also, true story... having the latest devices isn't so great all the time. They attract a lot of attentnion and I have been mugged before because of it. I learned a lesson, and it has made me all the more wiser.
    Last edited by XyresicPsych; 12-16-08 at 06:02 PM.
    12-16-08 05:52 PM
    paying "every now and then" is nothing....just so you know, ONE line on the most basic plan with unlimited texting through verizon is 100 a month so 1200 per year....that's a LOT and it sounds like you have multiple people in your family.

I am 14 and have a Storm. I have owned a Curve, Dare, iPhone 3G, and a few others.

To the OP:

Only child I presume?

I feel sorry for your parents...(and no, I'm not "old," I'm only 20)
    12-16-08 05:54 PM
    And as any researcher knows, don't take Wikipedia or any wiki for that matter as hard knowledge. Yikes...I don't want my doctors getting their info off of wikis or google...

But then again, pay attention to the faculty member during class, THEN go and google or wiki something. It's just polite.
    Thus why I was saying for patients to refer to it. I didn't say I used it myself. I don't think they would enjoy reading Harrisons Principles of Internal Medicine.

And there are probably less inaccuracies in non-controversial topics than gaps in a teachers memory
    Last edited by corychevalier; 12-16-08 at 05:57 PM.
    12-16-08 05:54 PM
    Thus why I was saying for patients to refer to it. I don't think they would enjoy reading Harrisons Principles of Internal Medicine.

And there are probably less inaccuracies in non-controversial topics than gaps in a teachers memory
    Wait...I thought doctor's don't want patients self-diagnosing? That's what this does....sure you may recommend it at first, but then they discover they can get all this information on the web and they self diagnose....I've had friends do it. My point was that people are googling during class, not at home. There is no need to google during class, let alone it being disrespectful to the teacher, as I have said before.
    12-16-08 05:58 PM
    paying "every now and then" is nothing....just so you know, ONE line on the most basic plan with unlimited texting through verizon is 100 a month so 1200 per year....that's a LOT and it sounds like you have multiple people in your family.

Only child I presume?

I'm a only child unless you count a half-sister living on her own. I just have a lot of cousins and such. Nearly everyone of my cousins and uncles and aunts have a Blackberry. So does my sister's husband! So does my sister! Yes, we are crack heads, for the berry.
    12-16-08 06:01 PM
    That was a joke. And if you haven't seen what phone I'm using now, then maybe I should take a picture. Its a old, old, Nokia with only voice. Its blue with a big white stripe moving down the side. Not a flip, not a smart phone, not a slider, just a dumb phone with voice and horrible noise cancellation. It also has a huge brown hole in the side of it due to the Civil War. (I've had the thing since I was about 4.)

I have had this computer for 5 years, a lap top. Not one single gnash or snick on it. What I find funny is that actually, the adults here are jealous. Yes, jealous, that we kids are able to buy our own phones and they were not in the first place.

Note: Nearly everyone in my family has a Blackberry. I have a cousin that is 13 who has the BB Bold.

I do agree that if you are completely pushing away everything to your parents, then you may not deserve it. (I may even chip in 50 bucks, even though it is supposed to be a Christmas present from the entire family) And I expect the kids to help with chores and etc, and not be foolish enough to throw it across the room or drop it every time they pick it up. I personally have a surgeons hands, and I respect anything with even the least value.

But what I find foolish, is these adults here trolling this thread. If they are so hard working, why are they posting here? Hmm? I would love for one of those hard working adults to answer that question besides saying you were typing it in a meeting, or your on your break. The only excuse I'd accept is your off of work right now. But shouldn't you be spending that time with your family?

And cell phones are not illegal in school (at least mine). You just have to run a lot of paper work through saying your using it as a organization tool, and that you may only use it in the hallways and during class if you ask for permission. Otherwise, your screwed if your caught.

-Posted from a Blackberry.

I was at work, but the work is few and far between considering there are no students here and I work with students.

Just because everyone else has one doesn't mean you need one. Stand out...be different. Respect your phone like you do.

As for smart phones in school for organizational purposes? Two words for you. Palm Pilot.
    12-16-08 06:02 PM
    Wait...I thought doctor's don't want patients self-diagnosing? That's what this does....sure you may recommend it at first, but then they discover they can get all this information on the web and they self diagnose....I've had friends do it. My point was that people are googling during class, not at home. There is no need to google during class, let alone it being disrespectful to the teacher, as I have said before.
    I'd say depends on how big the class is. If its 30 people don't do it. If you're in a stadium seating lecture than its fine.

And who said anything about self-diagnosing? Doctors only get some much time with patients to explain their disease to them and patients often want to know more. If you are diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes for instance its not a bad thing for you to look up the disease yourself so you have a good understanding of what's wrong....or maybe you should just listen to the doctor and not take any responsibility for your own health and well-being....
    12-16-08 06:03 PM
    I'd say depends on how big the class is. If its 30 people don't do it. If you're in a stadium seating lecture than its fine.

And who said anything about self-diagnosing? Doctors only get some much time with patients to explain their disease to them and patients often want to know more. If you are diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes for instance its not a bad thing for you to look up the disease yourself so you have a good understanding of what's wrong....or maybe you should just listen to the doctor and not take any responsibility for your own health and well-being....
    Ok...your second point is just a byproduct of the health care system in the US today, which is a totally different subject.

I don't care how many people are in the class. You should be paying attention. Besides, these are high school kids that we're talking about, not college students. (Can you tell I work in education?)
    12-16-08 06:05 PM
    I'm a only child unless you count a half-sister living on her own. I just have a lot of cousins and such. Nearly everyone of my cousins and uncles and aunts have a Blackberry. So does my sister's husband! So does my sister! Yes, we are crack heads, for the berry.
    Yea that's my point. a good majority of only children I've met are spoiled beyond belief. My cousin being one of them. Enjoy college kid, 2 of my roommates are only children that were so babied they dunno how to work a dishwasher or clean their own bathroom, it's honestly sad.
    12-16-08 06:06 PM
    Ok...your second point is just a byproduct of the health care system in the US today, which is a totally different subject.

I don't care how many people are in the class. You should be paying attention. Besides, these are high school kids that we're talking about, not college students. (Can you tell I work in education?)
    So you think patients should take no responsibility for knowing their diseases and rely only on what doctors think and doing the opposite and having an "informed patient" is somehow a bad thing? WOW sure glad you didn't choose medicine.

And on your second point I understand but if someone is lecturing and doing poorly and wasting my time and I have 100 other things to do, I'm going to do them. If they lecture well I'll listen. Not sure how that would have been in high school because they didn't have phones like this back in high school...talking more about current experience.

*sorry for the little mini medical argument for everyone else...wasn't my intention I was just making a point initially*
    Last edited by corychevalier; 12-16-08 at 06:12 PM.
    12-16-08 06:08 PM
    I was at work, but the work is few and far between considering there are no students here and I work with students.

Just because everyone else has one doesn't mean you need one. Stand out...be different. Respect your phone like you do.

As for smart phones in school for organizational purposes? Two words for you. Palm Pilot.
    No problem. You aren't dissuading me in the least bit. Still getting a storm for Christmas. I'll be sure to post some reviews.
    12-16-08 06:09 PM

Only child I presume?

Yes, I am an only child. I work for my stuff... actually those phones have been returned/sold for profit... and I do it all myself, they don't seem to mind as long as it is not detrimental to me or them.

EDIT - Also, it's not like I have it totally easy. Anything less than an A in school, I'm in serious trouble.
    12-16-08 06:10 PM
    So you think patients should take no responsibility for knowing their diseases and rely only on what doctors think and doing the opposite and having an "informed patient" is somehow a bad thing? WOW sure glad you didn't choose medicine.

*sorry for the little mini medical argument for everyone else...wasn't my intention I was just making a point initially*
    And glad you didn't choose education since you promote websurfing during class
    12-16-08 06:11 PM
    Yes, I am an only child. I work for my stuff... actually those phones have been returned/sold for profit... and I do it all myself, they don't seem to mind as long as it is not detrimental to me or them.

EDIT - Also, it's not like I have it totally easy. Anything less than an A in school, I'm in serious trouble.
    Doesn't change the fact that they are COMPLETELY unnecessary. If you wanna run a phone flipping business, go ahead, but there's no need to have top of the line phones at 14 unless you're getting them from a company.
    12-16-08 06:14 PM
    And glad you didn't choose education since you promote websurfing during class
    Ha Touch�

Sorry for the soapbox I just didn't think we were on the same page for a bit
    12-16-08 06:14 PM
    Doesn't change the fact that they are COMPLETELY unnecessary. If you wanna run a phone flipping business, go ahead, but there's no need to have top of the line phones at 14 unless you're getting them from a company.
    I forgot to mention my mom works for VZ, we get a 20% discount on services and 10% on phones.
    12-16-08 06:16 PM
    Not to start a flamewar, but heregoes.

If the only thing you can say is that things are unnnecessary, then...

Why do we have cruises and vacations
    Why do we even have phones
    Why do we have drinks other than water
    Why do we have video games
    Why do we have books
    Why do we have candy
    Why do we have computers
    Why do we have elaborate houses
    Why do we have awesome cars

Why?

There are certain things in life that are completely unneccesary, but that doesn't stop us from making/doing them. If me having an extravagant phone is not right, then none of the above must be either, based on your logic.

Also, no offense, but you are 20. I respect you just as much as I respect my peers. I don't think you really can say what is unorthodox for a 14 year old, being only 6 years older. While you may have had more life experience and may know some things or do some things better than I, neither me or you REALLY know what is best for a kid of this age. However, I can use your logic of the situation and apply it to like situations, and see that your reasoning is flawed. While I am in no way saying I am right, you cannot simply say it is unneccesary. Especially considering every person's story and situation is different. You cannot generalize it.
    12-16-08 06:29 PM
    Doesn't change my position.

Also, no offense, but you are 20. I respect you just as much as I respect my peers. I don't think you really can say what is unorthodox for a 14 year old, being only 6 years older. While you may have had more life experience and may know some things or do some things better than I, neither me or you REALLY know what is best for a kid of this age. However, I can use your logic of the situation and apply it to like situations, and see that your reasoning is flawed. While I am in no way saying I am right, you cannot simply say it is unneccesary. Especially considering every person's story and situation is different. You cannot generalize it.
    Yea, I've been working for 6 years including 56 hours a week over a portion of that and I pay for everything I own....car, phone, phone plan, etc. Only stuff I don't pay for is rent and tuition and that's because 26k per year is a little out of my price range. You'll learn when you pay for every little thing you do (including dinner, movies, hair cuts, new clothes, etc) that 100 bucks per month after the initial 250 isn't something to say "oh i don't NEED it but i want it, it's nice, i'm glad I have it."
    Last edited by CSSVT; 12-16-08 at 06:33 PM.
    12-16-08 06:30 PM
    Yeah, of course. Didn't expect to or want to change your position, but state my thoughts on your opinion.
    12-16-08 06:33 PM
    well im 14 and i have a BB storm...its sick...i love it and i actually use it...all my emails, myspace, texting, internet, and all the fun apps you can download for it... and i love showing off to my friends with the iphone saying "can your phone do this? or this! or this?! Its fun knowing you're the only person in the whole school with the BB storm. haha not even the teachers have it!
    03-24-09 02:28 PM
    i agree with your dad, you are far too young to have unrestricted access to the internet and other massively social utilities. my son is currently 3 and he will not have unsupervised access to the internet or any other digital medium till he is old enough to vote.
    03-24-09 03:29 PM
    In my opinion, you're too young to own any kind of cell phone. If your Dad is willing to let you get a cell phone, then I would agree to anything he gives you. Seriously. Don't push your luck.
    03-24-09 03:37 PM
    im 14 i also have a storm and it kicks *** i love it but sometimes it can get pretty laggy but yeah i get alot of compliments thanks to this phone and im the only kid in the school with it
    03-24-09 03:38 PM
308 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD