I am going to add one more thing after reading a few other posts on this thread.....

I think that its funny how people are justifying buying a blackberry.. Oh, I got it because i get school emails, oh, i got it because i text like ****, oh, i got it because i can surf the web, oh, i got it because i can do this or that...

The real reason you bought it was because you wanted it, or you liked it. You dont need to come up with excusses or what ever you might call them on why you bought a blackberry.

BTW, this is not directed towards people that use it for work email (There life revolves around it), or was issued by a company.
    12-16-08 01:22 PM
    why doesnt this child just get an iphone like the rest of the children i see?
    12-16-08 01:33 PM
    I am going to add one more thing after reading a few other posts on this thread.....

I think that its funny how people are justifying buying a blackberry.. Oh, I got it because i get school emails, oh, i got it because i text like ****, oh, i got it because i can surf the web, oh, i got it because i can do this or that...

The real reason you bought it was because you wanted it, or you liked it. You dont need to come up with excusses or what ever you might call them on why you bought a blackberry.

BTW, this is not directed towards people that use it for work email (There life revolves around it), or was issued by a company.
    For some of us, school is work, and work is school. (I am a graduate student, and I work at a University). Yes I wanted a blackberry, but I justify the extra expense by knowing that I can get things taken care of when I am away from the office.

There are those of us as well who are very Type A, and need their lives organized. My blackberry syncs up so nicely with my "university provided" calendar program and lets me keep everything up to date as I have meetings scheduled with students I work with and advise and meetings with University officials such as the President and various Vice Presidents. I also provide tech support to those with blackberries across my division in the university, so having one is essential to being able to explain how to use one.

Isn't it better that we can justify buying a Blackberry instead of just buying one to be "the cool kid on the block"?
    12-16-08 01:34 PM
    For some of us, school is work, and work is school. (I am a graduate student, and I work at a University). Yes I wanted a blackberry, but I justify the extra expense by knowing that I can get things taken care of when I am away from the office.

There are those of us as well who are very Type A, and need their lives organized. My blackberry syncs up so nicely with my "university provided" calendar program and lets me keep everything up to date as I have meetings scheduled with students I work with and advise and meetings with University officials such as the President and various Vice Presidents. I also provide tech support to those with blackberries across my division in the university, so having one is essential to being able to explain how to use one.

Isn't it better that we can justify buying a Blackberry instead of just buying one to be "the cool kid on the block"?
    You obviously didn�t read what I was saying. All I was saying is that I think it is stupid that people have to justify buying a blackberry. You use it for work, that�s great, I think that�s what most people use there blackberries for. All I was saying is that if someone buys a blackberry and doesn�t use it for work, who are you or anyone else to tell the that its ridiculous. If you want a blackberry, and you can afford the device and the plan then get it. I also stated that in the BTW line, that this is not directed towards people that use it for work. (DID YOU READ THAT PART??)
    12-16-08 03:57 PM
    I don't use my BB for work. I got the storm for its email/web integration and its total cool factor. I can see why anyone would want one regardless of whether or not they're going to use it fo busniess.

Let's face it, RIM didn't go "hey let's make an iphone competitor because that's what all the businessmen want". the Storm is definitely marketed more towards the general consumer moer than any other BB.

So to hate on a kid because he wants one is silly.

But if I had a teenage kid that wanted one I'd tell 'em to get a job. I'm 25. When I was 14 I worked at a movie theatre to save up a grand to buy a guitar. My parents helped me buy hockey equipment and beyond that I didn't ask for much.

If you want a Storm go earn it. Life's not always about what you need. We're spoiled, commercialized American consumers (yea, a lot of Europeans too, same thing whatever). If you want something go get it, but don't expect anyone (including your parents) to just hand it to you.

If you need to justify getting something you probably shouldn't get it. and if you want something and can't afford it you shouldn't expect someone else to hand it to you.

With that said, hope you get your storm kid ;-p
    12-16-08 04:03 PM
    You obviously didn’t read what I was saying. All I was saying is that I think it is stupid that people have to justify buying a blackberry. You use it for work, that’s great, I think that’s what most people use there blackberries for. All I was saying is that if someone buys a blackberry and doesn’t use it for work, who are you or anyone else to tell the that its ridiculous. If you want a blackberry, and you can afford the device and the plan then get it. I also stated that in the BTW line, that this is not directed towards people that use it for work. (DID YOU READ THAT PART??)
    No need to shout in all caps. All I was doing was providing another perspective on things.

BTW: FYI, I did read that part, in fact, I read your entire post and found it semi-condescending.

And did you read the part of my post where I said, "Isn't it better that we can justify buying a Blackberry instead of just buying one to be "the cool kid on the block"?"
    Last edited by niubeav; 12-16-08 at 04:18 PM.
    12-16-08 04:05 PM
    Get a razr. They r so in!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    still? haha
    12-16-08 04:06 PM
    still? haha
    LOL...the iPhone only just recently out sold the Razr, but then again, Motorola is now branding a heck-ton of phones as a Razr now...
    12-16-08 04:08 PM
    i remember when the motorola timeport came out a little after the startac... i was ALL ABOUT that phone.

i guess i'm showing my age here.
    12-16-08 04:09 PM
    i was in the same boat as you are, i am also 14 and at first my dad didnt want to get me one but he finally ordered it for me yesterday i got him to order it by saying i could be his lab rat and test it for him to see how it is.
    I'd tend to agree with your dad. My parents make me pay for the data plan, 10 per month for the voice charges and the 5 for insurance (texting covers full family plan so they pay that). I'm 20 and this is my first BB....I wanted one when I got into college but my parents wouldn't let me. With that said, I've seen what my younger brother (16) has done to his old phone and what my friends (college age) have done to/with theirs (one friend I know has gotten drunk and lost his about 8 times....). Honestly, I'd say your dad is right and you should wait until you're in college at least, even then you should prove you're responsible with expensive devices.
    GO HOKIES (CO 2006).

Anyway, my brother (17) also has a Storm. This isn't the typical Blackberry in that its not just for business folks. You can use it for myspace, instant messaging, facebook, syncing with iTunes and if you're crafty enough, movies.

Thats what my brother uses it for...which is unusual because he has an iPod Touch which can do all of the above...but better and has cool apps available right now (for now).

Although I don't really see why a 14 year old would need such a nice cell phone...you can't even drive anywhere.
    Wow...we are such spoiled Americans that our 14 year olds get such top of the line expensive phones. When I was 14 (I'm 23 now) I got to borrow my Dad's old Motorola StarTac. Talk about weighing down your pants. The thing didn't even have a battery or signal meter on it. I was lucky when I got my Nokia at age 16, which was only to be used in case of emergency, and I only had 60 minutes a month, and forget about going outside of your calling area!
    12-16-08 04:17 PM
    times have changed. i remember how happy i was when i got a, "glowing antenna," for my timeport.

nowadays, phones have cameras, videos, internet capabilities, gps, etc... if they don't, they're considered low-end.

i hope you get the storm, and take care of it. if your dad decides to get one for you that is...
    12-16-08 04:23 PM
    I think the big thing should be that kids should under a certain age should need a bb

also i got a bb and iphone and yes i use it with business but even if i didn't i got it cause i wanted it haha
    12-16-08 04:23 PM
    opps i meant kids under a certain age should not need a bb
    12-16-08 04:24 PM
    I dont know about you getting a storm, I'm 18 i work as a real estate agent assitant and go to school and i still think the storm might be too much phone for me and i wouldn't use it for the real reasons the blackberry devices were created. i have a few friends that have the dare and love it i think you would be a lot happier with that
    12-16-08 04:37 PM
    i was in the same boat as you are, i am also 14 and at first my dad didnt want to get me one but he finally ordered it for me yesterday i got him to order it by saying i could be his lab rat and test it for him to see how it is.
    I'm not trying to be mean but since the OP won't do it can you PLEASE enlighten us as to why you NEED this phone? We all know it has nothing to do with email or importance of having web on the go.....It just boggles my mind that anyone could justify buying their KID (YES KID, I DON'T CONSIDER A 14 YEAR OLD A TEENAGER) a Blackberry. I only justified the storm because of the media player and need/desire to consolidate items in my crowded and cluttered life. I justified the email due to the need for it on the go as a college student (Junior) but it's something I could live without although it has come in handy about once or twice a week since buying it.
    12-16-08 04:45 PM
    I'm not trying to be mean but since the OP won't do it can you PLEASE enlighten us as to why you NEED this phone? We all know it has nothing to do with email or importance of having web on the go.....It just boggles my mind that anyone could justify buying their KID (YES KID, I DON'T CONSIDER A 14 YEAR OLD A TEENAGER) a Blackberry. I only justified the storm because of the media player and need/desire to consolidate items in my crowded and cluttered life. I justified the email due to the need for it on the go as a college student (Junior) but it's something I could live without although it has come in handy about once or twice a week since buying it.
    i will be useing it for ebay, i have an ebay store and sell a lot of things on there also my school uses email to send us our assinments so i could do them on my phone.
    12-16-08 04:54 PM
    Eh, I still don't 100% agree with it but I guess you'd be much more in need than a good 99% of 14 year olds out there.
    12-16-08 04:55 PM
    I love how some of you guys think a 14 year old shouldn't have a phone. Get with the times, please.

I had my first phone in 7th grade and had texting. I'm 17 now. I bought my first Blackberry on eBay (8130) and then I used my father's NE2 for my Storm. I don't pay for the data plan, but I work often (20 hours a week) and offered to pay any that they wanted me to.

That being said, it's really up to your dad. Despite what people say, the Storm is not primarily a business phone. I'm not a business user, but I someday hope to be. I loved my Pearl and am growing to love my Storm. I use the calendar and such to help me remember simple tasks and school assignments. I browse the internet when I'm bored and use it to help out with little things in school. (forgetting you had a test then reading the sparknotes before homeroom=love)

Don't listen to the people here. It's really up to you and your dad. Will you use the internet and the other features offered? If you think so, then go for it. I'm 17 (18 in January) and I think I certainly use the phone to its full potential. I love getting my e-mail to stay on top of all my college application stuff too. In the end, it's not about what we think, but what you think.
    I am 15. I think my parents would rather me have my own Blackberry, because my own phone is a brick. Anytime I see my dad's blackberry sitting there, I steal it for a few hours. Yes, I'm that kind of kid. Plus, I use everything on my electronics, and I really can't stay organized without them. Its ridiculous you "old" (yes you are) people are complaining about us not being able to have a smart phone. It can greatly organize a school life, and perhaps even help with your grades (google during class...) but anyways, I pay for whatever my parents ask for, so if they say I have to pay for the browser this month or something, no problem.
    12-16-08 05:18 PM
    I am 15. I think my parents would rather me have my own Blackberry, because my own phone is a brick. Anytime I see my dad's blackberry sitting there, I steal it for a few hours. Yes, I'm that kind of kid. Plus, I use everything on my electronics, and I really can't stay organized without them. Its ridiculous you "old" (yes you are) people are complaining about us not being able to have a smart phone. It can greatly organize a school life, and perhaps even help with your grades (google during class...) but anyways, I pay for whatever my parents ask for, so if they say I have to pay for the browser this month or something, no problem.
    I think you just said it....google during class, when you SHOULD be paying attention to the teacher. I am not in favor of teenagers having a smartphone, let alone a blackberry....and I'm 23. Tell me I'm old...
    12-16-08 05:38 PM
    The best thing for this phone would be for younger people to like it...I would love if it became a popular thing among them since that would sell more storms and their parents would be more likely to get one. More storms sold means more support, applications, and other goodies for the phone that could be useful. Hope you guys enjoy the phone
    12-16-08 05:40 PM
    I think you just said it....google during class, when you SHOULD be paying attention to the teacher. I am not in favor of teenagers having a smartphone, let alone a blackberry....and I'm 23. Tell me I'm old...
    And on this often google or wikipedia gives a better explanation to things than a teacher can. I'm in medicine and wiki is a godsend for patients and the such...better overall synopsis of disease than any medical textbook. I'm sure this transcends into other areas and fields of knowledge
    12-16-08 05:41 PM
    if you USE it that way, I'd say less than 1/5 of people under 16 or 17 would though....but i dunno, i had a free agenda book that was given to me at the begining of every year that did the job just fine...graduated with a 3.5 non weighted GPA.
    12-16-08 05:46 PM
    And as any researcher knows, don't take Wikipedia or any wiki for that matter as hard knowledge. Yikes...I don't want my doctors getting their info off of wikis or google...

But then again, pay attention to the faculty member during class, THEN go and google or wiki something. It's just polite.
    12-16-08 05:47 PM
308 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD