....and here is my take.

I am a father of two and a hardcore geek - I have been working with PCs and related technology for 28 years. I encourage my kids to dive into technology and really understand its usage and value. However, that is not to say that all technology is relevant to everyone all the time! I don't know you, so I can't possibly know what is in your mind, but I'm thinking that you want this device (in part) because of the "cool factor". At 14, what do you need mobile internet for? Looking up stuff in school? That is what a PC is for. I can't think that your email accounts are mission critical, so you don't need to have push email. I could go on and on and.....

While I encourage you to explore technology and check out all the cool stuff out there, realize all of it might not be appropriate for you right now.
    12-15-08 07:39 AM
    as a parent of 3 (14, 16 & 18) I have no problem with my kids having cell phones.
    They get them at age 16 in my house, youngest son got one at his brothers request.
    My oldest said something about next summer getting a storm, and I reminded him about the bill.
    He just smiled and said, you're right Mom... much more economical to use yours. hmmmm
    (at least I know why I got the smartphone- looks like I have some catching up to do)
    Oh and at age 40 now, I have only had a cell phone for right at 8 years.
    12-15-08 07:40 AM
    Well OP, you said you just wanted people to tell you how to convince your dad. Its hard for people to do that when I think all but 2 people dont believe you should have it...

I have a 15 yo sister, and shes an honor student, works PT and still doesnt need anything close to a Storm. Until I gave her my Razr she had a prepaid trac phone and it was more than sufficient. I dont care what you and your father come to as far as a final decision, as thats your business. But i dont think at your age its important enough to have that you need to illicit opinions from strangers to get. If you have to work that hard to convince him, then chances are its much more a WANT than a NEED
    12-15-08 08:20 AM
    i think for a lot of people that own storms its more of a " want " than a " need " ^^^^
    12-15-08 08:26 AM
    no one " needs " a cell phone, no one " needs " a nice car
    12-15-08 08:27 AM
    You might try asking the grandparents, my niece had good success with that and her father's father (not my cheap *** Dad) bought her a Centro AND pays the monthly fee. Grandparents seem to take pleasure in doing things for the grandkids that the parents forbid. I think they are getting us back for what we did to them when we were kids.
    12-15-08 08:27 AM
    sorry im not going to agree with your post against him.. half the kids age 14 dont even attempt to get a job.. hes going to school and working 20 hours a week..

when I got to college i worked 40 hours and went to school full time.

but jobs are only aloud to give kids to many hours and when you first start working it feels like alot..

this is not a good response when hes actually one of many who do nothing.
    I agree with you, however only to a certain point. I still stand by my statement that 20 hours is not often. It may be more than a lot of kids are doing, however to enter the adult world with the mentality that this is a long work week is nothing short of lucidcris. Many children are incredibly ill-prepared, and therefor fail when they hit the real world.

At any rate, again. That is not the point, as I clearly stated in my original post. I see absolutely no reason that a child should have a blackberry, but then again, I am not the OP's parent. The problem arises when you have x amount of children and teens coming to the forum and asking total strangers to help them justify the purchase of a particular device to their parents. If you can't justify it to your parents, then neither can we.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-15-08 08:28 AM
    But the need comes in for someone like me whos company requires BB's for our position...

Sure I could get any BB, so the Storm couples Want with Need. But ultimately the need is there since i get reimbursed.
    12-15-08 08:29 AM
    I don't think cell phones even existed when I was 14. Maybe the ones that were in the suitcases, but not sure. I got my first cell phone when I was 21 and it was one that was hardwired into my pickup. I pretty much only used it for emergencies since the airtime cost was insane.
    Yeah we had cell phones back in my day when I was a kid the.
    The late 60's early 70's the technology.
    Two tin cans with a string in the middle

Hey my question to u is this. Are u making a B/C+ average?
    At least all C's
    Going to school regularly? Doing your chores and whatever
    is asked without complaining? If so I would say yes or consider it;
    that is of course if you are the youngest and only dependent your parents have.
    If they have other dependents under the age of 18 besides you. Cut dad some slack kid.....................................
    A phone like that is definitely a luxury for a 14.
    Hey it is even a luxury for me at age well ummmmmm
    My son and I use only cell phones. We both have unlimited minutes.
    If he did all of the above; I would consider an extra $30 a month.
    Notice consider..................................
    He has my old MotoQ 9m and he is quite happy with that;
    without the data plan. (net access is blocked by vzw)
    12-15-08 08:46 AM
    When I was 14 we still had rotary phones!! Remember those antique thingies with the round dial with holes in it to turn in a counter-clockwise fashion to dial!!! Yes, I am almost older than dirt!
    12-15-08 08:57 AM
    When I was 14 we still had rotary phones!! Remember those antique thingies with the round dial with holes in it to turn in a counter-clockwise fashion to dial!!! Yes, I am almost older than dirt!
    ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Can we say geezers..........................................?
    12-15-08 09:02 AM
    This thread is funny

I didn't get my first phone till I was 16 (only because I started driving and my parents didn't want me on the road without a way to get them if something went wrong). However I was under strict rule that it was ONLY to be used in emergency to call them...

Of course at that time, you had to pay like 10 cent every time you hit the send button... lol but even then I had no need for the phone, and cant recall ever using it actually...

I will say that since times have changed, I can see the reason to have a cell at 14, just because you never know what could happen, you could be walking home from school and someone try to kidnap you... however, the need for a blackberry????

I think others have said it, I have the phone, and I still to this day and arguing with myself if I really need it...
    12-15-08 09:03 AM
    I will say that since times have changed, I can see the reason to have a cell at 14, just because you never know what could happen, you could be walking home from school and someone try to kidnap you... however, the need for a blackberry????

Now that is sooooooo lame; my son tried that to justify a cell phone.
    My response to him was as follows
    " I can see it now someone jumps outa the car to grab u"
    " Mr Kidnapper could u give me a chance to dial 911 before we proceed"
    Sure kid...........................

Sheesh back in my day we didn't wear our pants down below our arsses.
    We could run...............................

Did I say back in my day
    Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    12-15-08 09:12 AM
    Don't listen to the people here. It's really up to you and your dad. Will you use the internet and the other features offered? If you think so, then go for it. I'm 17 (18 in January) and I think I certainly use the phone to its full potential. I love getting my e-mail to stay on top of all my college application stuff too. In the end, it's not about what we think, but what you think.
    The Op came to this forum asking for everyone's advice, so he obviously wanted to listen to them and hear their opinions!
    12-15-08 09:18 AM
    ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Can we say geezers..........................................?
    I did mention that I was "almost older than dirt", you whipper-snapper
    12-15-08 09:22 AM
    The Op came to this forum asking for everyone's advice, so he obviously wanted to listen to them and hear their opinions!
    This is likely the most logical post in this entire thread. Well done greg, well done.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-15-08 09:27 AM
    Wow, I can't believe this is still going...
    12-15-08 09:28 AM
    I did mention that I was "almost older than dirt", you whipper-snapper
    Awwwwwwwwww gee thanks
    12-15-08 09:30 AM
    Now that is sooooooo lame; my son tried that to justify a cell phone.
    My response to him was as follows
    " I can see it now someone jumps outa the car to grab u"
    " Mr Kidnapper could u give me a chance to dial 911 before we proceed"
    Sure kid...........................
    Grannit I see your point, but it is possible if something happened, they could sneak the phone out of their pocket and make the call...

But maybe that was a bad example...

How about they go hang out with some friends at the park, and it starts to down pour... the walk home is 10 min, and its cold outside... - Call the parents to come pick you up so you don't walk home in the rain and get sick...

That work better for you???
    12-15-08 09:31 AM
    In the end: 1) most pointless post I think I have read in a year. 2) Everyone who has replied stating that they are 18-20 and mommy and daddy still pay the bills - must be nice 3) If you cannot pay for it - regardless of age - no phone for you (live within your limits) 4) Dad can learn to unlock it using posts here on Crackberry and sell it for $750 plus. 5) Then he can buy you that "Tickle me Elmo" you want as well.

**Edit**

I have to take back #1 and give this post http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/bei...-storm-115783/ the winner of the most pointless post I have read (maybe ever)
    Last edited by jrbarrett; 12-15-08 at 09:40 AM.
    12-15-08 09:36 AM
    Grannit I see your point, but it is possible if something happened, they could sneak the phone out of their pocket and make the call...

But maybe that was a bad example...

How about they go hang out with some friends at the park, and it starts to down pour... the walk home is 10 min, and its cold outside... - Call the parents to come pick you up so you don't walk home in the rain and get sick...

That work better for you???
    ROFL LMAO
    Ok son u can have a cell phone then.
    But dagnabbit only the basic one; with texting.
    None of that fancy stuff with internet and music;
    ok!!!!
    12-15-08 09:40 AM

**Edit**

I have to take back #1 and give this post http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/bei...-storm-115783/ the winner of the most pointless post I have read (maybe ever)
    LMAO

12-15-08 09:40 AM
    Wow, 14?? Blackberry? I have to agree with most. I just don't see justification. I believe a Dare, Voyager, or Blitz.

This was my first... StarTac!!!! Hahaha
    12-15-08 09:42 AM
    if you get the storm, you won't be able to text in class. the screen's click is too loud for texting in a quiet environment. if i was still in school, i would get this phone only to regret it because texting is impossible during class and everyone does that.
    12-15-08 09:45 AM
    I got my first job when I was 16 and that was so I could pay for insurance and gas on a car that my parents provided. I had to share a 3-watt bag phone with my sister (actually it was hers but my mother would make her let me use it on long drives) until I was 19 and was able to put one in my own name. At that time I did go through a lot of different phones, one being the StarTac like the one pictured above. IMO, the best phone ever made by Motorola. I've only had a BlackBerry for about 4 years, but of course I have a job and I pay for it myself. I also have my parents on a FamilyShare Plan with me. They are lite users and prepay me for their part of the service at the beginning of the year, so I'm not out a penny.

The world is a different place from the time when I was a teenager and I can see the need for teens to have a phone that they can use for emergencies. In this situation might I suggest the Migo or some other reliable phone that you can make or receive basic calls on? If you get a BlackBerry at this point in your life, what else would you have to look forward to in the future?
    12-15-08 09:51 AM
308 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD