Bahahahaha!!! You work "often," 20 hours a week!? Oh my. You've made my night. Wait until you grow up, get a real job with responsibilities, and work 60 hours a week. Then you tell me if 20 hours a week is "working often." I work more in two days than you do in your jam-packed work week.

Alas, this isn't the point.. Bottom line is, yet again with this age old topic, what the he*l does a 14 year old need with a blackberry? They can't afford the data plan, let alone the standard voice plan, and be honest: these are BUSINESS devices first and foremost. If I hear one more person say they aren't, I will choke.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Wow, you're an *******.
    12-15-08 01:50 AM
    There is no 14 year old that needs to own a BlackBerry, save for those rare few who are already in higher education by that time.

Consider yourself lucky you have a cell phone at age 14.
    12-15-08 03:02 AM
    There is no NEED for any 14y/o to have a cell phone. I got my first phone at 16, and paid for all by myself, even then I didn't need one, I wanted one. My parents refused to buy it because there was no need for me to own one. If you cannot pay for everything by yourself, not just the data plan, but the voice usage and data plan and any texting you want, you honestly don't deserve a cell phone. Let alone a Storm.

At 23, I still don't NEED a Storm, or any smart phone for that matter. But since I pay for it myself, I can get whatever I want. I think it is ridiculous these days to see these young kids walking around talking/texting on cell phones. Who do they really need to talk to? Is it so old fashioned to go over to a persons house to talk to them, or use your home phone?
    12-15-08 03:08 AM
    if i had a bb when i was 14 i would have broken it in the first 2 days.

Get something more robust.

Or case the he11 out of it.

Get a bold or a iphone..

Thats what id tell my son, if i didnt keep on makin knuckle babys.
    12-15-08 03:20 AM
    u people dont realize how many 14 year olds have blackberries these days, im 25 my sister is 15 like EVERY one of her friends have a blackberry curve or an iphone about a 50/50 mix
    12-15-08 03:20 AM
    i had 2 beepers when i was 14 lol
    12-15-08 03:21 AM
    as for working 60 hours congrats hope u dont have a family cuz ur sure not seeing them much lol
    12-15-08 03:23 AM
    u people dont realize how many 14 year olds have blackberries these days, im 25 my sister is 15 like EVERY one of her friends have a blackberry curve or an iphone about a 50/50 mix
    I know how many kids are walking around with them. My point is: why? What 14y/o needs a phone? Let alone any BB/iPhone.
    12-15-08 03:27 AM
    siht i dunno man, life is moving faster and faster with every generation, here in 20 years or maybe even 10, youll see most 10 year olds textin lol
    12-15-08 03:30 AM
    goin to preschool with their blackberries like that lil baby on that Etrade commercial or w/e it is
    12-15-08 03:31 AM
    LOL. That's it! Its all E*Trade's fault, for making a commercial with a talking baby using a BB. I know one thing, when I have kids they are not getting cell phones until they can pay for them themselves.
    12-15-08 03:33 AM
    Unless you're an entrepreneur like this 12yr old girl, Leanna Archer
    12-15-08 03:33 AM
    its amazing isnt it... at 14 i was more worried with kick flips and ollies.. not a phone.. Get the Dare or the env2.. voyager.. they all do what you want... music, browser, etc.. why dont you let your dad spoil himself and get a phone? Tell him you know what dad, i am going to wait for my upgrade to come up instead of taking yours, he might like that.
    12-15-08 04:55 AM
    I know how many kids are walking around with them. My point is: why? What 14y/o needs a phone? Let alone any BB/iPhone.
    A 14 year old needs a phone. Whether or not they could use a BB is still up for debate, but the fact is that they need a phone. They're either in their last year of middle school or first year of high school, and they need to be able to communicate. If anything, they need to be able to call their parents at the least. If you had a son or daughter and they were staying after school or something, wouldn't you want them to call you? They're going to start being out and about with friends, and it's probably in their best interest that they have a way to talk to people.
    12-15-08 05:22 AM
    Am I mistaken or did they remove all regular phones from school? You can't use one of them and call your parents up. My parents always knew where I was when I was out and about, without a cell phone. I still see no reason for any teenager to have a cell phone, if they can afford it themselves then go for it. Kids are just way to spoiled these days. Did parents forget how to say no?
    12-15-08 05:26 AM
    some schools allow u to have them on you actually, a couple of the schools here in dayton, ohio let u, they want them turned off or on vibrate
    12-15-08 05:32 AM
    Am I mistaken or did they remove all regular phones from school? You can't use one of them and call your parents up. My parents always knew where I was when I was out and about, without a cell phone. I still see no reason for any teenager to have a cell phone, if they can afford it themselves then go for it. Kids are just way to spoiled these days. Did parents forget how to say no?
    If it's after school you are allowed to use whatever you want. Most schools allow you to have phones but want them turned off during classes. If I were a parent, I'd rather my kid have a cellphone so that I could call him so I know he/she is safe. It has nothing to do with parents forgetting how to say no.
    12-15-08 05:41 AM
    As a Father of 3 (17,14,and 11) There is no chance any of them will get a phone that is gonna cost more than a few bucks unless they pay out of their own pocket for it. Dad gets the storm cause he pays the bills Mom gets whatever she wants (loves her chocolate)cause she pays the bills. Love my kids but the fact that they have a phone at all makes them think twice about asking for a "special" phone. So go with the dare the BB (any of them) would most likely be more phone then you will need for quite a few years.
    12-15-08 05:44 AM
    I'm sure they'd try to hard like this recent incarnation:

that version is nice.. but honestly you could slap the old nokia version that was on every phone right on the storm and I would play the he11 out of it.. that game consumed much time...

like honestly some of the nokia's has more games but i don't remember any of them accept snake!

I think the first time I played the game was on a apple.. when they first came out..
    12-15-08 05:48 AM
    I really just dont see how you can justify wanting a Storm.

You say you can pay for it, but you have to use your dad's NE2...technically your dad's paying for it sorry to say.

You CAN NOT use the phone 1/3 of the day 5 days a week cause your in school...well now thats a waste isnt it? (and if you are, then the phone is just disrupting your learning and it shows that your not mature enough to use it responsibly)

BTW id really like to know what kind of email/browsing you need to be doing, as a 14 year old? Absolutely none cause you can do it from home, there are no time-sensitive materials a 14 year old needs access to, no bills, no buisness announcements, the list goes on and on.

I don't know how old you are but i remember when the same argument was made by my dad for getting a computer in our house..

what could I possibly need a computer for..

this was before the time when computers were common house hold items..

why would a 10 year old possibly need a computer..

this is the problem where change becomes inherent when you grow up you like change less and less as time go's on and we never care to admit it..

I think that its up to the parents to make the choice.. its bad to make generalizations..

because what was important to us as kids wasn't important to our parents as kids but then when we have kids what we wanted when we were young is in the house and used.. I would assume that in 30 years a 10 year old will have a full computer in there pocket that holds 9000 terabytes of data and when opened up it will be a projector that projects into thin air..

so.. in reality is a BB really that bad? or is it because we didn't have the need for it when we were a kid.

Dont get me wrong your kids your rules but heck I still will never have a problem with a kid learning and using current technology because it makes it easier that they already know how to use 99 percent of it by the time they use it in the real world and its easier to learn whatever is developed by the time they get there.

People complain that kids are using small speech like lol rofl LAWL bff
    I think its because we place multi tap phones in there hands.. and think that it serves there purpose.. give them a real keyboard give them real email.. and let them type and talk the the way we did ON A TYPEWRITER.

working on assignments as a kid I had a encyclopedia to look things up.. kids can have the internet in there hands.. You can find real valid information on the internet.. if they know were to look.. why not let them have it ... thats my view

and also I wasn't mad or angry when writing this so don't get super ticked off if you reply lol
    Last edited by noaim; 12-15-08 at 06:03 AM.
    12-15-08 05:55 AM
    Ok, here is my take on it.

I didn't get my first cellphone until I was 17 (28 now), and I had to pay for it. I didn't get my first smartphone until I was 25 and running my own business. Now if I didn't run my own business, I wouldn't have a smartphone, no need for one when there are plenty of phones out there that would suit a normal user just fine. Come to think of it, I couldn't even go take my learners permit test to drive until I had the money to pay for the insurance, and not 3 months, not 6 but a years worth of insurance. So at 15 I went out and got me a job.

As far as a 14 year old having a cellphone, personally I don't think its necessary. At 14 I was still very much under my parents rule. Home at a certain time, parents knew where I was ect ect. Times have changed I know, and no I'm not a parent, but I can't help to wonder if the **** poor parenting isn't the root of half the problems in society (kids shooting kids ect) but I'm not getting into that, and maybe my views will change when I am a parent.

If your Father lets you have a phone and pays for it, I'd be happy with what you get. Once you take on these expenses you'll understand a little better.
    12-15-08 06:11 AM
    I understand that times change. Heck I'm only 23 and see how things have changes since I was younger. I still don't see the need for a child that young to have a cell phone. Like I said previously, if you work and can pay for it yourself, go for it. I just don't see the justification in parents handing out cell phones their kids. But like you said, their house their rules. I just don't get it.
    12-15-08 06:18 AM
    My dad is concerned with him giving me is NE2 Storm even tho he doesn't really use his WE except for checking EMAIL and not send.

He believes that im too "young" for a BB and that i have no need for it. Im currently 14. What should i say?
    he who pays the bills get's to make the decisions......
    12-15-08 06:53 AM
    Maybe Dad has already bought you a storm for Christmas and doesn't want to spoil the surprise? It's possible, but not likely.

In the present economy most adults are thinking about how to cut expenses and that could be a deciding factor in your case. Even if you pay for the charges, and then later on you can't, Dad will be responsible for the 2 year commitment and may not want that hanging over his head.

I pay for a family plan and have my daughter, son and my sister on it, and have already warned them that I may not be able to continue if my business keeps dropping off as it has been doing. A 2 year commitment is a long time when more important things may require all the family resources in the event things get really bad. He may also be trying to teach you some lessons in life like you can't always have what you want. Anyway, good luck to you.
    12-15-08 07:20 AM
    Get a Palm instead, you'll get all the features you want plus you don't have to pay the ridiculous costs for a Blackberry. The only reason I'm willing to pay is because my company subsidizes it, otherwise I would've gone back to Palm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-15-08 07:37 AM
308 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD