I love how some of you guys think a 14 year old shouldn't have a phone. Get with the times, please.

I had my first phone in 7th grade and had texting. I'm 17 now. I bought my first Blackberry on eBay (8130) and then I used my father's NE2 for my Storm. I don't pay for the data plan, but I work often (20 hours a week) and offered to pay any that they wanted me to.

That being said, it's really up to your dad. Despite what people say, the Storm is not primarily a business phone. I'm not a business user, but I someday hope to be. I loved my Pearl and am growing to love my Storm. I use the calendar and such to help me remember simple tasks and school assignments. I browse the internet when I'm bored and use it to help out with little things in school. (forgetting you had a test then reading the sparknotes before homeroom=love)

Don't listen to the people here. It's really up to you and your dad. Will you use the internet and the other features offered? If you think so, then go for it. I'm 17 (18 in January) and I think I certainly use the phone to its full potential. I love getting my e-mail to stay on top of all my college application stuff too. In the end, it's not about what we think, but what you think.

That was cute
    12-14-08 11:55 PM
    Look im not a "Typical" 14 year old and yeah sorry for grammar. Cant think straight with a half severed middle finger :[. But yeah i email alot and rarely text. My Dad owns a computer company and ive worked their the whole summer and winter breaks. Also im looking for a good portable web browser and emailer on the go and a replacement for my ipod because i don't want to carry around 2 objects.
    12-14-08 11:55 PM
    And BTW...the picture I placed in this thread about my first phone, was when I was 15, so to say a 14 year old shouldn't have a phone would be quite the hypocrisy (look it up...it might come in handy for the SATs).
    12-14-08 11:56 PM
    We're not saying a 14 year old shouldn't have a cell phone....quite the opposite actually. We're saying that a 14 year old shouldn't have a BLACKBERRY (Smartphone).

At 17 though I could COMPROMISE with it. You're staying on top of college stuff, someone who's in 8th grade going into 9th grade or in 9th grade does NOT need to be on top of their email. All the emails I got at that age were spam and how to enlarge my pen|s. He's not going to be getting an email from a college prof. about a class being cancelled or reminding them to bring something with them today.

I'd like to see an excuse (a GOOD one) for a 14 year old to own this phone (it's not even like he would be looking up a drivers test handbook on it)....THEN I'll concede my point, but until thin I keep my opinion.
    12-14-08 11:58 PM
    Look im not a "Typical" 14 year old and yeah sorry for grammar. Cant think straight with a half severed middle finger :[. But yeah i email alot and rarely text. My Dad owns a computer company and ive worked their the whole summer and winter breaks. Also im looking for a good portable web browser and emailer on the go and a replacement for my ipod because i don't want to carry around 2 objects.
    Dare Dare Dare...5 bucks a month for Mobile email (if you even want that rather than accessing through the browser) and 15 for Vpak may be an easier pill to swallow for your dad considering it's still technically a "regular" phone.
    12-14-08 11:58 PM
    I know tons of people with the Dare, The touch screen on it is fail. the keyboard is fail. The software is fail. Aim uses txt which is fail. honestly would u choose a Dare over a Storm
    12-15-08 12:00 AM
    I love how some of you guys think a 14 year old shouldn't have a phone. Get with the times, please.

I had my first phone in 7th grade and had texting. I'm 17 now. I bought my first Blackberry on eBay (8130) and then I used my father's NE2 for my Storm. I don't pay for the data plan, but I work often (20 hours a week) and offered to pay any that they wanted me to.

That being said, it's really up to your dad. Despite what people say, the Storm is not primarily a business phone. I'm not a business user, but I someday hope to be. I loved my Pearl and am growing to love my Storm. I use the calendar and such to help me remember simple tasks and school assignments. I browse the internet when I'm bored and use it to help out with little things in school. (forgetting you had a test then reading the sparknotes before homeroom=love)

Don't listen to the people here. It's really up to you and your dad. Will you use the internet and the other features offered? If you think so, then go for it. I'm 17 (18 in January) and I think I certainly use the phone to its full potential. I love getting my e-mail to stay on top of all my college application stuff too. In the end, it's not about what we think, but what you think.
    Bahahahaha!!! You work "often," 20 hours a week!? Oh my. You've made my night. Wait until you grow up, get a real job with responsibilities, and work 60 hours a week. Then you tell me if 20 hours a week is "working often." I work more in two days than you do in your jam-packed work week.

Alas, this isn't the point.. Bottom line is, yet again with this age old topic, what the he*l does a 14 year old need with a blackberry? They can't afford the data plan, let alone the standard voice plan, and be honest: these are BUSINESS devices first and foremost. If I hear one more person say they aren't, I will choke.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    You successfully got me to NOT read anything else in your post since you didn't read any of the posts in this thread. The point is not "you shouldn't have a phone" it's more "you might not need a Blackberry".
    Someone stated earlier in this thread that a 14 year old should only have a phone that can make emergency calls and call their parents. I didn't feel like finding it and quoting it.

There's been numerous posts on this forum about the appropriate age for a Blackberry, and I've read many that state that they believe 14 year olds shouldn't even own a cell phone. I was referencing the post in the beginning, as well as the general outlook that I've encountered.

Plenty of adults don't need a Blackberry either. Since I've gotten one, my dad got one. He doesn't need his e-mail on the go for work or anything, but he enjoys it. He likes having the latest technology and enjoys using its cool features. What's wrong with a teenager doing the same?

You can use the phrase, "you don't need ____" for just about anything that's a luxury and not a necessity.
    Yeah, go with the dare..
    Better for a young kid
    Its still a decent phone
    Dare Dare Dare...5 bucks a month for Mobile email (if you even want that rather than accessing through the browser) and 15 for Vpak may be an easier pill to swallow for your dad considering it's still technically a "regular" phone.
    If he doesn't have to stay with verizon, a Sidekick would be pretty good too. y'know, IF he needs the email and web browsing and stuff....plus T-mobile bills are cheap enough that he could probably prove he'd be able to pay the monthly bill for when he IS old enough for a blackberry.
    12-15-08 12:01 AM
    I know tons of people with the Dare, The touch screen on it is fail. the keyboard is fail. The software is fail. Aim uses txt which is fail. honestly would u choose a Dare over a Storm
    Seriously...as big as I am into Blackberry, have you read ANYTHING about the software on the current rendition? Having a Dare and a Curve and an Omnia and ALOT of time with the Storm I may suggest reconsider.
    12-15-08 12:02 AM
    Nope....I can't see any valid reason a 14 year old would need a Blackberry, much less the newest model out there. It's one thing if a kid earns the money to buy something like that; but I've found when something expensive is given to them at that age they don't seem to know how to appreciate or respect it.
    Bahahahaha!!! You work "often," 20 hours a week!? Oh my. You've made my night. Wait until you grow up, get a real job with responsibilities, and work 60 hours a week. Then you tell me if 20 hours a week is "working often." I work more in two days than you do in your jam-packed work week.

Alas, this isn't the point.. Bottom line is, yet again with this age old topic, what the he*l does a 14 year old need with a blackberry? They can't afford the data plan, let alone the standard voice plan, and be honest: these are BUSINESS devices first and foremost. If I hear one more person say they aren't, I will choke.

Rofl. I'm a 17 year old kid, how am I supposed to work more than 20 hours a week? I go to school and play basketball. I have hard classes and a busy schedule. My point wasn't that I work a lot. The point was that I make enough money to foot the cost of the bill.

Oh, and Blackberries (especially the storm) aren't solely business devices anymore. Take a look around. Sorry. I hope you don't choke.
    I can pay the 30 a month aint a problem, i work weekends with my dad so that's not a problem, he just feels im too "young" im asking for advice on how to convince him im not too young for it. That is all i asked.
    Really you should do what ever you want, but what you need to remember is that the 29.99/mo is for as long as you keep the device. As long as you/dad is willing to pay that extra every month go for it.
    12-15-08 12:03 AM
    I had my first phone when I was 14. Man that was way back when. I could do so much with that phone, make calls sometimes, use it as a baseball bat **** it even doubled as a portable chair lol.

I think being 14 now a days though is different. You're probably more capable of getting the most out of the storm then your parents are. No offense to your parents but you grew u in a different time then them.
    12-15-08 12:04 AM
    There is no need for a 14 year old to have a blackberry. Find a nice qwerty not so smart phone and rock the text messages. At 14 you aren't sending a ton of emails and neither are your friends. I'm 28 and can barely justify my berry, difference is I pay the bill so I only have to justify it to myself. Just my opinion.

Yea brother, I can dig that statement. I pay for mine and im on the verge of being 21. I only get emails from my school, but i do text and call my behind off. I only had to answer to me on getting this phone. I have a cousin who's 15 and all she has is the env 2 and I feel that is a powerful phone for her. 14 and being a berry user is definately a no go in my book
    12-15-08 12:04 AM
    Just help me on what to say to convince him >_<. 30 a month isnt a problem, already pay 15 a month. he gets the Phone for free aswell.
    12-15-08 12:05 AM
    I can pay the 30 a month aint a problem, i work weekends with my dad so that's not a problem, he just feels im too "young" im asking for advice on how to convince him im not too young for it. That is all i asked.
    Like I said before....you can think of better reasons to convince YOUR dad than we can....he's YOUR dad, we don't know him. On top of that, if you can't think of your own reasons, then do you REALLY need it? or do you REALLY want it....
    12-15-08 12:06 AM
    this is insane...I cant believe at 14 he is even thinking of getting you a storm. I didnt get my first cell phone till I think the end of my junior year of highschool. I had a beeper for many years lol. Im 26 now so that was what feels like an eternity ago. I think you should take what you can get at this point, but dont stress your father out over an expensive phone. I honestly cant see what the purpose of having a blackberry at your age is, but if you get it more power to you I guess. Just dont take things for granted, cause Im sure most people were like me, and at 14 would be incredibly lucky to have a phone.
    12-15-08 12:06 AM
    We can't really help you convince your own father. You know him better than we do. Why exactly does he think you're too young? Explain to him why you want the device. Do some research and compare it to other phones on the market to show him that you're really interested. Make him know that you will use the device for all its worth.
    12-15-08 12:07 AM
    Yeah getting a blackberry is absolutely absurd for a 14 year old no matter how you look at it. Just get a qwerty keyboard phone and have at it.
    Seriously dude, if you tell him you want it and he says no, deal. You're taking hard classes, you're in basketball, you work...if that's not enough then it sucks. But that's kinda how things go, sometimes you eat the bar, sometimes the bar eats you.
    Rofl. I'm a 17 year old kid, how am I supposed to work more than 20 hours a week? I go to school and play basketball. I have hard classes and a busy schedule. My point wasn't that I work a lot. The point was that I make enough money to foot the cost of the bill.

Oh, and Blackberries (especially the storm) aren't solely business devices anymore. Take a look around. Sorry. I hope you don't choke.
    You're right. I apollogize. Taking time away from basketball practice is not an option. Ehem. I understand you're a child, but do not ever think for one second that working 20 hours a week is working "often." I would hate to see you enter the adult world with such unreasonable expectations. At any rate....

I would like you to quote my original post, and underline where I said blackberries are SOLELY business devices, as opposed to where I said first and foremost.

Go ahead. Ill wait.

My first...Coupe eat your heart out. To stay on topic though Hokiabru, why do you think you need one?

awww you got the upgraded one after I got mine.. wasnt my first but it was my first primeco phone "digital" and it had the slider top before they made the ones without a slider top
    12-15-08 12:08 AM
308 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD