My dad is concerned with him giving me is NE2 Storm even tho he doesn't really use his WE except for checking EMAIL and not send.

He believes that im too "young" for a BB and that i have no need for it. Im currently 14. What should i say?
    12-14-08 11:23 PM
    Not to be mean, but just retype what you are trying to say i cant really understand it.
    12-14-08 11:27 PM
    if its a seperate line he will have to pay for a seperate data plan even if he already has it.

kind of alot of money you know what i mean when you dont really need it. just to get a cool phone.
    12-14-08 11:28 PM
    It must be to fit in with all the smartphone users at your local middle school eh? They all pimpin iPhones so you dont wanna be left in the dust lol

(whats sad is that i work in a japanese steakhouse and i see a ****-ton of iphones...half their users are under 21)
    12-14-08 11:30 PM
    I'd tend to agree with your dad. My parents make me pay for the data plan, 10 per month for the voice charges and the 5 for insurance (texting covers full family plan so they pay that). I'm 20 and this is my first BB....I wanted one when I got into college but my parents wouldn't let me. With that said, I've seen what my younger brother (16) has done to his old phone and what my friends (college age) have done to/with theirs (one friend I know has gotten drunk and lost his about 8 times....). Honestly, I'd say your dad is right and you should wait until you're in college at least, even then you should prove you're responsible with expensive devices.
    Last edited by CSSVT; 12-14-08 at 11:35 PM.
    12-14-08 11:31 PM
    My dad is concerned with him giving me is NE2 Storm even tho he doesn't really use his WE except for checking EMAIL and not send.

He believes that im too "young" for a BB and that i have no need for it. Im currently 14. What should i say?
    Here's the script...

"Dad, you're right. I've thought about it and I'll go with the Dare. I love you".

It'll make many things much easier for quite some time.
    12-14-08 11:32 PM
    I think you are old enough for a storm when you can write understandable sentences.
    So I think your dad is right.
    Hmm, grasp of sentax he does not have.

14 you don't need a Storm or berry for that matter. At 14 what job can can you have outside of cutting lawns, and or babysitting? Can you pay for the Storm and monthly fees? If the answer is no then you don't need one!!

BTW, if your grades aren't good you definitely don't need a Storm!!!

BTWx2, I am a father of 4 and none of my kids have a berry adn the oldest is 16. When she gets a jobby job and turns 18 she can buy her own berry!!!
    12-14-08 11:33 PM
    BTWx2, I am a father of 4 and none of my kids have a berry adn the oldest is 16. When she gets a jobby job and turns 18 she can buy her own berry!!!

LOL and then she can screw up her credit when she forgets to pay the bill one month

But yea, I agree, blackberry's are expensive and a lot of people (even young adults) don't realize that. I had someone my age ask if the internet used minutes the other day. I told her that it was a 30 dollar per month set rate deal and she decided that was reasonable and got the storm anyway...but still.
    12-14-08 11:36 PM
    Well, a traditional BlackBerry is a business tool and not a toy. While the Storm does cross the line somewhat into the "toy" area, it is still a business tool at it's heart. So, I would have to say it's a LOT of phone for a 14 year old. Honestly, I think a small flip phone of some sort would be more than enough for you. If you just want to be able to text I might suggest the Samsung Alias...it's actually easier to type on than the Storm and it's a good, solid phone that takes a LOT of abuse. But, it doesn't have the cool touch screen that all you youngsters think is awesome.

Then again, I don't believe kids your age should have a phone that does more than make emergency calls or call their parents, so maybe I'm not the best person to give advice in this matter.
    12-14-08 11:37 PM
    If I were a middle school teacher and heard that click during class I would FLIP.
    12-14-08 11:38 PM
    There is no need for a 14 year old to have a blackberry. Find a nice qwerty not so smart phone and rock the text messages. At 14 you aren't sending a ton of emails and neither are your friends. I'm 28 and can barely justify my berry, difference is I pay the bill so I only have to justify it to myself. Just my opinion.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-14-08 11:39 PM
    If I were a middle school teacher and heard that click during class I would FLIP.
    LOL i'm sitting here watching this thread cus i find it interesting.......i was thinking about it though and honestly, I don't think i got my FIRST phone till I was about 14...and it was that blue, brick phone from Nokia that came for free and only had snake, texting and calling. greyscale screen, no camera.....my times have changed.
    12-14-08 11:40 PM
    Get a razr. They r so in!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-14-08 11:42 PM
    I don't have a problem with you having it. However I do have a problem with you coming on a forum to ask what you should tell to your DAD to have it.

You should learn to reason and communicate with your Dad and be giving the answer isn't always the answer.

He is in charge of you and his rules are his rules. If you give him reason by yourself that makes him decide differently then that works..
    12-14-08 11:42 PM
    I don't think cell phones even existed when I was 14. Maybe the ones that were in the suitcases, but not sure. I got my first cell phone when I was 21 and it was one that was hardwired into my pickup. I pretty much only used it for emergencies since the airtime cost was insane.
    12-14-08 11:43 PM
    I don't have a problem with you having it. However I do have a problem with you coming on a forum to ask what you should tell to your DAD to have it.

You should learn to reason and communicate with your Dad and be giving the answer isn't always the answer.

He is in charge of you and his rules are his rules. If you give him reason by yourself that makes him decide differently then that works..
    Exactly. Brings up another point: If you can't justify having it to your dad, then maybe you don't really NEED it and therefor should look for something else.
    12-14-08 11:44 PM

My first...Coupe eat your heart out. To stay on topic though Hokiabru, why do you think you need one?
    12-14-08 11:44 PM
    By the time I have a 14 year old kid, I will have a very big pile of used blackberries. I wouldn't get my kid an expensive data plan, but that old blackberry would make a great phone / pda / texting machine.

Get a longer term perspective, and encourage your dad to occasionally upgrade his phone.
    12-14-08 11:45 PM

My first...Coupe eat your heart out. To stay on topic though Hokiabru, why do you think you need one?
    LMAO! My dad had that one. Got it as his first cell about 1 or so years before I got mine. I remember always wanting his pager....why? I don't know.
    12-14-08 11:45 PM
    Ah, 14...
    Maybe a dare?
    I hate to be an ***, but 14 is just to young for a smartphone..

And plus the lemonade sales aren't going to pay for your monthly fee..

=)
    12-14-08 11:47 PM
    just buy an ipod touch and install phone application on it. you will pay 0 dollars a month and can make calls wherever there is wifi.
    12-14-08 11:47 PM
    LOL and then she can screw up her credit when she forgets to pay the bill one month

But yea, I agree, blackberry's are expensive and a lot of people (even young adults) don't realize that. I had someone my age ask if the internet used minutes the other day. I told her that it was a 30 dollar per month set rate deal and she decided that was reasonable and got the storm anyway...but still.

Experience is the best teacher!!! My daughter is very good about her money (the little she has or gets), the problem is how she spends my money. She wants to run up a 250-300 cell bill....she has to pay it!! She has to learn.
    12-14-08 11:48 PM
    just buy an ipod touch and install phone application on it. you will pay 0 dollars a month and can make calls wherever there is wifi.
    I haven't been around a middle school in...well since I started 9th grade but I hope to god that if they do have routers, that it's locked up hard core.
    12-14-08 11:49 PM
    I love how some of you guys think a 14 year old shouldn't have a phone. Get with the times, please.

I had my first phone in 7th grade and had texting. I'm 17 now. I bought my first Blackberry on eBay (8130) and then I used my father's NE2 for my Storm. I don't pay for the data plan, but I work often (20 hours a week) and offered to pay any that they wanted me to.

That being said, it's really up to your dad. Despite what people say, the Storm is not primarily a business phone. I'm not a business user, but I someday hope to be. I loved my Pearl and am growing to love my Storm. I use the calendar and such to help me remember simple tasks and school assignments. I browse the internet when I'm bored and use it to help out with little things in school. (forgetting you had a test then reading the sparknotes before homeroom=love)

Don't listen to the people here. It's really up to you and your dad. Will you use the internet and the other features offered? If you think so, then go for it. I'm 17 (18 in January) and I think I certainly use the phone to its full potential. I love getting my e-mail to stay on top of all my college application stuff too. In the end, it's not about what we think, but what you think.
    12-14-08 11:51 PM
    I love how some of you guys think a 14 year old shouldn't have a phone. Get with the times, please.

I had my first phone in 7th grade and had texting. I'm 17 now. I bought my first Blackberry on eBay (8130) and then I used my father's NE2 for my Storm. I don't pay for the data plan, but I work often (20 hours a week) and offered to pay any that they wanted me to.

That being said, it's really up to your dad. Despite what people say, the Storm is not primarily a business phone. I'm not a business user, but I someday hope to be. I loved my Pearl and am growing to love my Storm. I use the calendar and such to help me remember simple tasks and school assignments. I browse the internet when I'm bored and use it to help out with little things in school. (forgetting you had a test then reading the sparknotes before homeroom=love)

Don't listen to the people here. It's really up to you and your dad. Will you use the internet and the other features offered? If you think so, then go for it. I'm 17 (18 in January) and I think I certainly use the phone to its full potential. I love getting my e-mail to stay on top of all my college application stuff too. In the end, it's not about what we think, but what you think.
    You successfully got me to NOT read anything else in your post since you didn't read any of the posts in this thread. The point is not "you shouldn't have a phone" it's more "you might not need a Blackberry".
    12-14-08 11:54 PM
308 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD