The reason that the OS that was shown on the Storm 2 isn't "working" is not because of a bug. That OS is 4.7.0. It doesn't work without the "click". It currently doesn't have an API set for just touchscreen input and selection. Someone must of loaded it. Apparently, it's compatible. I guess that's something to be happy about.

Also, what do you guys think they will add onto the S2?
    Last edited by Shadow.xXx; 05-25-09 at 07:16 AM.
    05-22-09 04:29 AM
    The reason that the OS that was shown on the Storm 2 isn't "working" is not because of a bug. That OS is 4.7.0. It doesn't work without the "click". It currently doesn't have an API set for just touchscreen input and selection. Someone must of loaded it. Apparently, it's compatible. I guess that's something to be happy about.
    Really? So, how then will RIM build OS5 for ALL handsets built around the same CORE... one that implements touch for some devices and not for others...? The same thing could be argued with that.

The video felt rushed... it felt like the person that had it could only spend about 5 minutes with the phone, so they took some shots and a quick video without really showing much. They didn't try to rotate it so see if the accel works, nothing... just seemed like they picked up the Storm we have now and started touching the screen and were like... "See, it doesn't do anything"... "Oh, you have to press?" You know what I mean? I guess what I mean to say is... THEY DIDN'T TRY VERY HARD TO SEE EXACTLY WHY IT DIDN'T WORK. No investigative work. Heck, it's possible there was no issues with it, but they were asked not to go any further then that and didn't want to show that they could properly hit OK past the message and then cut off the video.... people would have been more ticked then because they didn't dive further into the technology. We could speculate for days on this.
    05-22-09 10:12 AM
    Really? So, how then will RIM build OS5 for ALL handsets built around the same CORE... one that implements touch for some devices and not for others...? The same thing could be argued with that.

The video felt rushed... it felt like the person that had it could only spend about 5 minutes with the phone, so they took some shots and a quick video without really showing much. They didn't try to rotate it so see if the accel works, nothing... just seemed like they picked up the Storm we have now and started touching the screen and were like... "See, it doesn't do anything"... "Oh, you have to press?" You know what I mean? I guess what I mean to say is... THEY DIDN'T TRY VERY HARD TO SEE EXACTLY WHY IT DIDN'T WORK. No investigative work. Heck, it's possible there was no issues with it, but they were asked not to go any further then that and didn't want to show that they could properly hit OK past the message and then cut off the video.... people would have been more ticked then because they didn't dive further into the technology. We could speculate for d
    ays on this.
    If only you were there!
    05-22-09 10:15 AM
    this would be what thread number 2 or 3 or 9,254,454,215,365.6 of the same thing?? roughly?
    05-22-09 10:19 AM
    this would be what thread number 2 or 3 or 9,254,454,215,365.6 of the same thing?? roughly?
    How do you get a .6 of a thread? Is that like just the title and "..." in the body of the OP?
    05-22-09 10:22 AM
    How do you get a .6 of a thread? Is that like just the title and "..." in the body of the OP?
    lol exactly give it a few and it will be .8 hahahaha
    05-22-09 10:23 AM

The video felt rushed... it felt like the person that had it could only spend about 5 minutes with the phone, so they took some shots and a quick video without really showing much. They didn't try to rotate it so see if the accel works, nothing... just seemed like they picked up the Storm we have now and started touching the screen and were like... "See, it doesn't do anything"... "Oh, you have to press?" You know what I mean? I guess what I mean to say is... THEY DIDN'T TRY VERY HARD TO SEE EXACTLY WHY IT DIDN'T WORK. No investigative work. Heck, it's possible there was no issues with it, but they were asked not to go any further then that and didn't want to show that they could properly hit OK past the message and then cut off the video.... people would have been more ticked then because they didn't dive further into the technology. We could speculate for days on this.
    Same core doesn't mean same features. Vista and 7 share the same core, but they behave differently (7 has a slightly updated one). Or did I understand your post incorrectly?
    05-23-09 12:46 AM
    Same core doesn't mean same features. Vista and 7 share the same core, but they behave differently (7 has a slightly updated one). Or did I understand your post incorrectly?
    I get what you mean but saying Windows 7 is "slightly" updated over Vista is an understatement... assuming you have actually played with 7... it's a GIANt improvement over Vista.

If the Storm 2 is to the Storm as Windows 7 is to Vista... i'll drop the ~$500 right now.
    05-23-09 01:04 AM
    I get what you mean but saying Windows 7 is "slightly" updated over Vista is an understatement... assuming you have actually played with 7... it's a GIANt improvement over Vista.

If the Storm 2 is to the Storm as Windows 7 is to Vista... i'll drop the ~$500 right now.
    I'm talking about the core. The GUI is a different thing altogether.
    05-23-09 06:40 PM
    Honestly , i kind of agree, this is my thinking of it , that someone (engadget ) got the device , it was wiped so they said screw it , loaded the latest 4.7.0.148 software on it , and it didnt work because the storm 2 OS is either based on 5.0 which i most unlikey due to how long the storm 2 has been around , OR it is based on like a 4.7.1.xxx build , not sure .. just my thought is he loaded a 4.7 buid for the storm 1
    05-23-09 06:55 PM

Right it was like they did not even try. I was thinking that exact same thing. I don't claim to know as much as you do about BB but I know that i would have been trying everything on that device to get a response. Funny how the user just clicked and claimed that they could not get past that screen.
    05-23-09 08:44 PM
    Going with Madphone's sig, I believe that may be true. Think about the timeline we've been given. The new OS is stated to be released in Q3 of this year, while S2 is stated to be dropped in a matter of weeks. So, it's plausible that OS5 for S1 will be delayed in order to promote the functionality of the new S2. It's a ploy alright, a quite good one at that.
    05-25-09 05:05 AM
    This is starting to feel like a bad "X- File" episode. I think when 5.0 is ready we will see it .
    05-25-09 08:46 AM
    I have seen working demos of the S2 at work(Verizon) and you got to press kinda hard...... we are going to have a training soon i will try to get more info and maybe pictures
    05-25-09 08:15 PM
    *Thumbs up*
    05-25-09 10:51 PM
    @ Posts regarding the programing and OS's being built around the same core.

When an OS has the same core, there are exceptions to hardware equipped in the unit. For example, you can buy two laptops with Vista Home Premium. Alternatively, one laptop is a tablet and the other is not. Both have the same OS, but features built into it to work with specific hardware, similar to 64Bit and 32Bit.

Tablets can use the intuitive tablet features such as recognized handwriting, gesture or key functions from the tablet pen. The normal laptop has this built into it as well, but cannot utilize them.
    05-26-09 12:01 AM
    I love the people that 'work' at vzw... 'they are starting training next week.' LOL what a bunch of crock...November maybe we will see the storm 2, and on top of that anyone that actually works at vzw and doesnt feel the need to post a complete lie to be cool, would tell you that there is no training upcoming nothing scheduled, and thus far the only news we know is what you have told us.
    05-26-09 03:13 PM
    Well I have a s2. In my dream last night. Man was it nice.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-09 08:13 PM
    Still wondering how they load 4.7.0 from a 9530 onto the Storm 2. They're device specific.
    05-26-09 08:18 PM
    Probably it's a version specific for the S2? Like a modified 4.7.0 to run on that hardware. They probably just didn't implement an API set for it's version of touch selection. It could of been more of "can it (the device) run stable" OS, rather than a "let's see how the OS runs" version. Or... the hardware isn't as different as we thought?
    05-26-09 11:32 PM

Also, what do you guys think they will add onto the S2?
    I was thinking the same thing. Although what could delay the release of the storm 2 is the os. Verizon will never clear an os build, ever. Ill fall over if they do.
    05-27-09 01:24 AM
    I was thinking the same thing. Although what could delay the release of the storm 2 is the os. Verizon will never clear an os build, ever. Ill fall over if they do.
    Unless someone throws us a bone, all we can do speculate .
    05-27-09 07:57 PM
    This is starting to feel like a bad "X- File" episode. I think when 5.0 is ready we will see it .
    Trust no one! The TRU[th]Epress is out there!

Sorry couldnt resist
    05-28-09 11:47 AM
    If only someone who actually knew would tell us, we would be grateful.
    05-29-09 10:40 PM
    If only someone who actually knew would tell us, we would be grateful.
    I can tell you right now it's a 5.0.X.XXX build. Might change later.
    05-30-09 10:07 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD