View Poll Results: .83 OS upgraded and downgraded or stayed?

Voters
204. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stayed with .83 OS with no issues or minor

100 49.02%
  • .83 currently but downgrading back to leaked .76

24 11.76%
  • .83 currently and downgrading back to leaked .75

8 3.92%
  • .83 currently and downgrading back to Released .75 OS

48 23.53%
  • Other

24 11.76%
    I downgraded mind and I'm more then happy with my previous Os. .83 is a beta and is very instable.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    .83 is NOT Beta. There are no Beta OS releases. .83 is what it is. They are working on new ones as we speak. (I feel like Crucial having to say this!)
    12-24-08 10:59 AM
    .83 is NOT Beta. There are no Beta OS releases. .83 is what it is. They are working on new ones as we speak. (I feel like Crucial having to say this!)
    I'm not going against you, or Crucial, but it seems like they could still make a few changes in .83. It's like when new car photos are leaked, you know the new BMW 3 Series is going to look something like the leaked photos, but they can still make a few changes, and its still the new BMW 3 series.

Agree? Disagree?
    12-24-08 11:31 AM
    I'm not going against you, or Crucial, but it seems like they could still make a few changes in .83. It's like when new car photos are leaked, you know the new BMW 3 Series is going to look something like the leaked photos, but they can still make a few changes, and its still the new BMW 3 series.

Agree? Disagree?
    I see your point but it's different with software, programming, dog food...etc etc
    12-24-08 12:15 PM

Agree? Disagree?
    I think what Crucial and others are trying to say is that once a revision is made it is glued, screwed, welded together or how ever you want to look at it, its not coming back apart to get worked on again.
    12-24-08 12:19 PM
    .78 Vodafone UK rom seems fine - very fast and no issues. I havent had a chance to put it through its paces as it is still simlocked. after reading all the comments on this forum about lag and slow rotation etc I was expecting to be a little dissapointed. Thankfully I am pleasantly suprised and find it very snappy.....only 10 days until the remote unlock arrives!
    12-24-08 12:27 PM
    I've been on .83 since the leak and virtually no issues for me

12-24-08 12:33 PM
    Upgraded last Friday and have not had many problems. Improved battery, memory leak seams about the same as the .75 that came with the phone and I lock the new screen lock better (had problem with the sound profile switching to vibrate when the phone was in my pocket).

I am getting two days on a charge (Currently at 50%, charged yesterday morning), though I am not a heavy browser. Maybe sending 5-10 emails, receiving about 30 and maybe 1 hour of browsing. No media playing currently, so that helps. Battery drain seems to be almost the same as my previous Curve.
    12-24-08 12:49 PM
    I guess by "other" it includes people who already downgraded back to .75 or .76?

Im back to .76 and like dothadamthang im back to loving this phone again.
    Other for me was .76 to .83 to wipe to .76 to .83 then wipe to .75 to .83..
    12-24-08 01:14 PM
    I was running .83 for a day.. it somehow managed to completely destroy my phone.. it seemed like i was doing battery pulls every time i wanted to use it.. i thought i might be able to live with it but i discovered later in the day that i was no longer able to make or receive phone calls.. i said screw it and went back to .75.. at least now it's a functional POS..
    12-24-08 01:24 PM
    had leaked .75
    JL_Loader wipe
    upgraded to .83
    I loved the Media Player changes
    I loved the Screen locking changes
    I hated the overall buggy feel of transitions between screens
    I hated that I went from 1XEV - 1X - 1xev all day long.
    JL Loader wipe
    downgraded to .75 release
    Works beautiful again.... until...
    I restored my backup files... service book fragged.
    Wiped and redid .75 release without restoring my service book.
    12-24-08 01:25 PM
    I am running .83 and have only encountered a few issues, nothing that has been a deal breaker. I will be sticking with it till the next upgrade, which I hope comes as soon as this one did.
    12-24-08 02:18 PM
    Been on .83 since night it was leaked. No issues to speak of.
    12-24-08 02:32 PM
    how do i down grade? every time i try i get a fatal error when it is trying to access the boot rom?
    12-24-08 03:13 PM
    I have .83 since it was leaked. I had problems in the beginning but I did a battery pull and I left the battery out for about an hour. Since I've done this, I haven't had any problems.
    12-24-08 03:30 PM
    .83 is crap. I'm going back to .75. Maybe it's because I run on a BES but it still has all kinds of bugs I was not experiencing before.
    12-24-08 04:55 PM
    how do i down grade? every time i try i get a fatal error when it is trying to access the boot rom?

theres a few ways you can go at this.....do a bkup and wipe clean and start freash and restore what you want to using applicaiton loader on DM. Or you can do a restore on the handheld and see if that helps. Not sure where your getting the error. Or you can up load the old OS onto the computer and use DM update software and downgrade it that way.

Hope this helps
    12-24-08 07:04 PM
    I went back to .76. I browse the web a lot so having it close after just trying to go back a page got annoying. The camera was much faster but I hardly ever take pictures. 76 seems to be the most stable OS for now.

12-24-08 11:27 PM
    theres a few ways you can go at this.....do a bkup and wipe clean and start freash and restore what you want to using applicaiton loader on DM. Or you can do a restore on the handheld and see if that helps. Not sure where your getting the error. Or you can up load the old OS onto the computer and use DM update software and downgrade it that way.

Hope this helps
    i uninstalled all BB software (DM, .75, .83) and restarted. Reinstalled BB Software (DM and .75 only). Used app loader and held my breath and it finished in 5 minutes - thank G-D!

no more lock ups or constant battery pulls on the .83
    12-25-08 12:30 PM
    I am sticking with .83 until something better comes out. I have issues with it mainly that this phone is slower than heck if you let the memory get down. I use documents to go alot and it seems to eat of the memory??? When I do a battery pull then it is common to get the lock up on the verizon screen. I think the memory leak in .83 is way worse than the others but the screen lock is such a nice thing to have that I am sticking with .83. I helped a friend set up his bold and OMG is that thing fast. I don't know why in the world RIM made the storm so slow??? Even if they get the software right they didn't put enough computing power in it to do what it was meant for. I think they really messed it up. Just my opinion tho. I am stuck with Verizon so I will be waiting for every update possible.
    12-25-08 01:06 PM
    Also how many are still on .83 with no issues? And if you did or are going to downgrade what OS are you going back too? Im just curious??
    Greetings... Posting from my recently downgraded storm...

.83 was good with the camera and accelerometer but it consistently crashed.. I am now back to .75

I do miss the responsive keyboard...but I prefer reliability...

12-25-08 06:47 PM
    No problems with .83 as of yet which furthur strengthen's my arguement that there must be some definitive difference between canadian and american CDMA phones....
    12-25-08 07:28 PM
    Sticking with .83. I did have quite a few issues, but thanks to people here, almost all were overcome with *SEARCH*.

It would be nice to have a poll like this for each release, stickied, or posted into it's own subsubforum, or something. Make it suggested not to reply until after using or rolling back your release for 3 days. By doing this, many of the newbies probably won't try to upgrade until it appears the release is stable.

If you're not prepared to do a complete wipe and reinstall, you shouldn't upgrade until there is an 'official' release for your phone and carrier.

Hrmmm...maybe the above should be a warning at the top of the OS Discussions. Bracket it with flashing smiley faces, or something.

SidIrish
    12-26-08 10:30 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD