So, I'm just curious as to why BBs use less data than other devices such as the iPhone or Android devices. I read the article about att cutting the unlimited plans and the Crackberry blog about the same news. I am still new enough to Crackberry to not fully understand the way a BB uses data vs another device such as an iPhone or Android device. I realize this may be a very simple question, however I wasn't able to find the answer I wanted in a search.
    Thanks
    06-03-10 04:44 PM
    So, I'm just curious as to why BBs use less data than other devices such as the iPhone or Android devices. I read the article about att cutting the unlimited plans and the Crackberry blog about the same news. I am still new enough to Crackberry to not fully understand the way a BB uses data vs another device such as an iPhone or Android device. I realize this may be a very simple question, however I wasn't able to find the answer I wanted in a search.
    Thanks
    RIM's servers reduce the amount of data (not in a bad way--just more efficient) flowing to/from your device, compared to say bandwidth hogging iPhones and other non-RIM phones.
    06-03-10 04:46 PM
    Thanks...So, I take that to mean RIM is saving BB users (who are on att) money on data plans?? If so, how long do you think they will continue to do that?
    06-03-10 04:52 PM
    our plans are "unlimited", so it should be of no concern. I think the carriers like the fact that RIM has stepped up to the plate to reduce bandwidth usage!
    06-03-10 04:55 PM
    That is true of course. I looked at my data usage today and was suprised to see I use very little. I was just making conversation. I think its great we have the best phones! I don't see Apple stepping up to reduce bandwith...
    06-03-10 04:59 PM
    I just looked @ my data usage, and I receive about 120-150 emails per day, and surf the web about 2 hours per day, along with Twitter and Facebook and my monthly total is only 45.7 MB or 0.04467 and I have 4 days left in my billing cycle.

When I read the article originally without actually converting kilobytes to bytes I thought that I used so much more that I actually do. So my usage is nowhere even near the 200 MB level.

I betcha we will see Verizon go to this pricing level to match.
    06-03-10 06:26 PM
    I just looked @ my data usage, and I receive about 120-150 emails per day, and surf the web about 2 hours per day, along with Twitter and Facebook and my monthly total is only 45.7 MB or 0.04467 and I have 4 days left in my billing cycle.

When I read the article originally without actually converting kilobytes to bytes I thought that I used so much more that I actually do. So my usage is nowhere even near the 200 MB level.

I betcha we will see Verizon go to this pricing level to match.
    And you use about twice as much as I do...lol! However, I do use WiFi exclusively when I'm at home. I seriously can't even imagine how bored I would have to be to hit 1 GB or more each month!
    06-03-10 07:47 PM
    Yeah, I was gonna mention that having WIFI enabled regularly can have a huge impact on data usage as well.

A (possibly stupid) question though...does BIS activity count as "data"? At least as far as my charged usage is concerned?

Doesn't really matter to me, as I am on an "unlimited" plan, and my data usage rarely exceeds 100MB
    06-03-10 07:53 PM
    RIM's servers reduce the amount of data (not in a bad way--just more efficient) flowing to/from your device, compared to say bandwidth hogging iPhones and other non-RIM phones.
    Help me understand how a BB on BIS is more efficient then an iPhone or Android? I understand on BES, but would like to know more when BIS is used.
    06-03-10 08:41 PM
    how do we check the data usage?
    06-03-10 08:45 PM
    The simplest is to get a My Verizon account on the Verizon website (it's free). You then can check minutes, text and data usage for each phone on the account.
    06-03-10 08:48 PM
    If you're on Verizon, dial #DATA and wait to get an SMS response.
    06-03-10 09:17 PM
    Help me understand how a BB on BIS is more efficient then an iPhone or Android? I understand on BES, but would like to know more when BIS is used.
    I could be horribly wrong here, but this is how I was led to understand it...

Many of the "other" smartphones require the device to periodically query the host email servers for new messages and then pull them down, whereas this activity is done by the RIM BIS servers for Blackberries, and when new messages are received, they are pushed to the device. This way, the device is having to connect the network far less.

Also, RIM truncates and strips images out of messages, in order to make the individual message size as delivered quite small. This is actually a subject of controversy among many, as occaisionally message contents are irretrievable, but much of the stripped material (attachments, images) can be manually downloaded if necessary.
    06-03-10 09:25 PM
    This might provide a little insight:

"One of the more notable features of BlackBerry Internet Service is data compression. Any time that you access the mobile web on your BlackBerry device, that data is pushed through the BIS server for data compression. This helps to speed up the user experience substantially, because each requested file is typically compressed at an approximate ratio of 5:1 or 6:1. In other words, a 600MB download becomes a 100MB download."
    What is BlackBerry Technology - LoveToKnow Cell Phones
    06-04-10 09:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD