blah.... mods delete this thread... im over it.
    Last edited by cupcakemonkey; 01-10-09 at 03:07 AM.
    01-10-09 02:52 AM
    I am glad that .75 was released, as it's "pretty decent" and is certainly usable until something else is officially released. Then again, I jumped on the .85 bandwagon as soon as I could... just because I'm a junkie.

The Storm is my first BB, and coming from a WM world -- the BB community is extremely lucky to even get updates. They make a world of difference and seem to be doing so very fast from a development standpoint. I jumped in knowing it was a brand new phone, and always expect some "quirks" in new devices... but with the phone / OS / and especially the CB community, I don't think I'll ever give up my BB.

Also would like to add a thanks to JRSCCivic98.
    01-10-09 03:20 AM
    This thread is needed - it makes a good point...

<RANT MODE ON>

Some thoughts for all the angry and hyper people in here:

1. You want to have a cutting edge device, but don't want to grin and bear the growing pains? The two are mutually exclusive. Don't want trouble - get a legacy device. Like to tweak a bit and / or have the latest and greatest - deal with the downsides.

1-A. You want to use leaked beta OS's, but don't want to grin and bear the growing pains? The two are mutually exclusive.

1-B. You got a cutting edge device, but decided that you didn't want to grin and bear the growing pains? No problem - most of the community understands. BUT - Don't come on this board all angry and indignant about the phone "sucking", and how your're going to go out and get a real phone when you buy a SuperMegaPhone 2000XL from Wonderful Wireless Co., and flame those of us who want the device and are willing to deal with the bleeding edge.

2. RIM isn't evil. No self respecting design engineer or software engineer want's anything other than a solid, well thought out, dependable product to put their name on. BUT, RIM is a public company who has to deal with the shareholders and board who want a 10% increase in profit each quarter, carriers who want lots of wow and a 1.9 year lifespan, competitors racing to the market with new product quarterly with which you must compete, an existing user base who are resistant to change, etc. In the end, they have to compromise, or die.

3. The Storm is a Storm. It's not meant to be an iPhone, Omnia, TouchPro, Pre... Blackberry's niche is business oriented users who want to "Just Do It". The Storms "sub-niche" is Business users who also want a bit of fun in their device, who don't have to switch to a "out on the town" or weekend phone. I believe that was the goal, and Storm v1 goes a long way toward achieving that. BUT - it's RIM's first foray into this concept, and the execution is, at least initially, falling short in some areas. Many of the shortcomings will be fixed with updates over time. Many more should be fixed in the Storms successor.

4. A watched kettle never boils, and a watched message board never produces an new OS leak. If you are hitting refresh every 5 minutes on CrackBerry waiting for an OS leak to drop, hours seem like weeks. That's normal for many of us But don't freak out and post the 1001'st thread of "when is the next update?" or "what's gonna be in the next update?". The phones not even 2 months old yet and we've had a lot more OS updates available to us than WinMo or Apple would have in the same period. Take two beers and chill with some friends, check back in the morning.

<RANT MODE OFF>
    Last edited by TBacker; 01-10-09 at 11:12 AM.
    01-10-09 10:51 AM
    haha.... thanks guys, its nice to know there are some users who feel the same. to bad i got overly frustrated and just deleted the entire post.

but i guess the cry babies just wont ever know... its always want want want.
    01-10-09 11:17 AM

<RANT MODE ON>

1. You want to have a cutting edge device, but don't want to grin and bear the growing pains? The two are mutually exclusive. Don't want trouble - get a legacy device. Like to tweak a bit and / or have the latest and greatest - deal with the downsides.

1-A. You want to use leaked beta OS's, but don't want to grin and bear the growing pains? The two are mutually exclusive.

1-B. You got a cutting edge device, but decided that you didn't want to grin and bear the growing pains? No problem - most of the community understands. BUT - Don't come on this board all angry and indignant about the phone "sucking", and how your're going to go out and get a real phone when you buy a SuperMegaPhone 2000XL from Wonderful Wireless Co., and flame those of us who want the device and are willing to deal with the bleeding edge.

2. RIM isn't evil. No self respecting design engineer or software engineer want's anything other than a solid, well thought out, dependable product to put their name on. BUT, RIM is a public company who has to deal with the shareholders and board who want a 10% increase in profit each quarter, carriers who want lots of wow and a 1.9 year lifespan, competitors racing to the market with new product quarterly with which you must compete, an existing user base who are resistant to change, etc. In the end, they have to compromise, or die.

3. The Storm is a Storm. It's not meant to be an iPhone, Omnia, TouchPro, Pre... Blackberry's niche is business oriented users who want to "Just Do It". The Storms "sub-niche" is Business users who also want a bit of fun in their device, who don't have to switch to a "out on the town" or weekend phone. I believe that was the goal, and Storm v1 goes a long way toward achieving that. BUT - it's RIM's first foray into this concept, and the execution is, at least initially, falling short in some areas. Many of the shortcomings will be fixed with updates over time. Many more should be fixed in the Storms successor.

4. A watched kettle never boils, and a watched message board never produces an new OS leak. If you are hitting refresh every 5 minutes on CrackBerry waiting for an OS leak to drop, hours seem like weeks. That's normal for many of us But don't freak out and post the 1001'st thread of "when is the next update?" or "what's gonna be in the next update?". The phones not even 2 months old yet and we've had a lot more OS updates available to us than WinMo or Apple would have in the same period. Take two beers and chill with some friends, check back in the morning.

<RANT MODE OFF>
    Very well stated, and quoted for emphasis.
    01-10-09 11:33 AM
    too much grinning and bearing going on here....
    01-10-09 11:50 AM
    Besides the click screen, what exactly is cutting edge about the storm? Everything else has been done before, and in some cases, better.
    01-10-09 11:53 AM
    [QUOTE=TBacker;1379633]This thread is needed - it makes a good point...

The phones not even 2 months old yet and we've had a lot more OS updates available to us than WinMo or Apple would have in the same period. Take two beers and chill with some friends, check back in the morning.

QUOTE]

UHH, only 1 official OS update, leaks don't count, IMO
    01-10-09 11:59 AM
    Besides the click screen, what exactly is cutting edge about the storm? Everything else has been done before, and in some cases, better.
    Cutting edge for RIM. While much of it has been done before, it's still a change of format for the O.S. and hardware from RIM.

The first HTC touch screen WinMo devices had issues, but the iPhone had come before it.

A company can benefit from others successes and mistakes, but it still has it's own unique qualities that add a new potential for kinks that must be worked through.
    01-10-09 11:59 AM
    [QUOTE=raorth;1380002]

The phones not even 2 months old yet and we've had a lot more OS updates available to us than WinMo or Apple would have in the same period. Take two beers and chill with some friends, check back in the morning.

QUOTE]

Also, is releasing so many updates within a couple months a good thing?
    01-10-09 12:01 PM
    That's fine - then it's still on par with the others as far as release frequency.

The only difference is that Apple and WinMo betas are under tighter control and leak less.
    like this company. what ever happned to their product? i was never cool enough to own one sadly

Hypercolor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    [QUOTE=uqmoore;1380011]

Yes it would be if they actually fixed some issues.
    01-10-09 12:03 PM
    Cutting edge for RIM. While much of it has been done before, it's still a change of format for the O.S. and hardware from RIM.
    Ah... so if Kyocera releases any touch screen phone today, it will be cutting edge, even if not one feature has never been seen before.
    01-10-09 12:03 PM
    Besides the click screen, what exactly is cutting edge about the storm? Everything else has been done before, and in many cases, better.
    10charbsndc

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-10-09 12:04 PM
    Well, if you subscribe to a beta leak not being a release, then there has been one release in a couple of months.

Almost no one disputes that the phone was rushed to market for the holidays, so RIM probably didn't want .65 to be the debut, but time, competition, and carriers are relentless bit**'es.

It wasn't too long after either iPhone hit the market that there were patches pushed.
    01-10-09 12:06 PM
    like this company. what ever happned to their product? i was never cool enough to own one sadly

Man, those shirts were the best. I always wanted a pair of pants coated in that stuff.
    01-10-09 12:17 PM
    Ah... so if Kyocera releases any touch screen phone today, it will be cutting edge, even if not one feature has never been seen before.
    Wow... Really looking for ways to pick this post apart! Okay then...

Listen, you aren't seeing the overall gist of the point and are focusing on the way I phrased it.

Maybe instead of cutting edge, I should have said "brand new design from RIM". The point is the same. The intention wasn't to say that it's never been done. It's that you buy a new design from a company that's never done it before, don't expect to have no trouble with it and don't be impatient when there is trouble with it.

If you think that the Storm is a f***ed up copy of old concepts and should never have been released, then that's fine - maybe it's not for you and you should swap it for a phone from a manufacturer that's done it before.
    01-10-09 12:19 PM

<RANT MODE ON>

<RANT MODE OFF>
    TBacker's cogent post, IMO, is on the mark. Man, I won't even look at another "when is the next OS update" post. Waste of my time. Everyone, just chill. Civil, constructive criticism of the product is OK. If you are frustrated and unhappy that's OK and understandable, then look for another phone to meet your needs. B****ing about what a piece of **** the device is serves no real purpose. Expressing your displeasure with the product in civil terms is an acceptable form of venting, eg, "I really don't like this phone because of ,,,". Or, "this phone really frustrates me because of x, y, z"" Trashing someone because they like the Storm, or their Storm works for them is really off base. I think that's what the mods are asking us to do.
    Last edited by fcortese; 01-10-09 at 02:40 PM.
    01-10-09 02:33 PM

Yikes.. I remember those... They never made pants for some reason..

I had something brilliant to say about the OP, but I've been up for 36 hours and forgot it. GN
    01-10-09 02:43 PM
    Maybe instead of cutting edge, I should have said "brand new design from RIM"...
    Correct.

...The point is the same.
    It's clearly not the same. It's like your saying if the next BB gets a stylus, that would be a "cutting edge" feature. lol

The fact remains, only the click screen is new and even this gets mixed user reviews. Published reviews.... forgetaboutit.
    01-10-09 03:42 PM
    hahaha at what this post has turned into... i really wish i never deleted my post as it would have most likely have stayed on topic. but blah.... cause my point still stands and that is the fact that most of the storm users here are nothing but spoiled b*****s and crybabies!

Q: so um.... "when do you think we should be expecting the next update?"
    A: SHUT UP AND YOU'LL SEE IT WHEN YOU SEE IT!!!! QUIT FLOODING THE ******* FORUMS WITH THE SAME CRAP POSTS!!!!
    01-11-09 05:22 AM
    Eeessh.

UQMoore:

I'm gonna just agree that we disagree and move on. Thanks for your points, and I hope you find a device that fits your needs. And I'm sincere about that.

Have a good one.
    01-11-09 08:38 AM
    ....3. The Storm is a Storm. It's not meant to be an iPhone, Omnia, TouchPro, Pre... Blackberry's niche is business oriented users who want to "Just Do It". The Storms "sub-niche" is Business users who also want a bit of fun in their device, who don't have to switch to a "out on the town" or weekend phone. I believe that was the goal, and Storm v1 goes a long way toward achieving that. BUT - it's RIM's first foray into this concept, and the execution is, at least initially, falling short in some areas. Many of the shortcomings will be fixed with updates over time. Many more should be fixed in the Storms successor.
    I think this is the biggest point people tend to miss.. The Storm is trying to be a Touch Screen Blackberry... Not an iPhone, Not an HTC Touch, not a....

Revamp the OS to be a completely different usage experience, menu layout, application look/feel... and RIM takes the big chance of alienating thier primary customer base.

How many companies will roll out a Blackberry that is completely new, including a new menu system/layout? a new way of operation, etc.. and have to worry about completley retraining anyone who gets this new device?

How easy (or difficult) would it be, how much time would it take, for RIM to create a new OS from the ground up, make it more "flashy", yet still be a blackberry at heart and have the same features/functions of current blackberries?

Instead, RIM choose to retro fit the current OS with touch screen input/control and Portrait/landscape orientation.

I kind of liken it to RIM's switch from Track Wheel to Ball/Menu Button.. only a little more drastic.

They didn't get the move to touch screen perfect. There is definately room for improvement, most would agree it was rushed out the door for the Holiday buying season, but as the LEAKED OS's show, they continue to work on addressing areas of concern, at least software wise.

I think the Storm was over hyped prior to release. Too many saw it then pronounced it as an "iPhone killer" over and over and over again, when I don't think it wasn't intented to KILL anything. Many bought the hype and are now dissapointed that all they got from Verizon was a slightly more featured (1gig memory, 3.2MP camera, Quadband GSM, Single band HSPA/UMTS2100, included 8gig MicroSD, etc) CDMA Blackberry with a touch screen stuck on it. Or all they got from Vodaphone was a Bold with the keyboard replaced by a touch screen.
    Last edited by Mark_Venture; 01-11-09 at 08:42 AM.
    01-11-09 08:40 AM

<RANT MODE ON>

<RANT MODE OFF>
    This made my day. I agree 100% (Typing on my storm now)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-11-09 08:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD