The fine folks over at Crunch SMS updated their app. It is outstanding now, if you like the interface of IPhone texting (Bubbles). However, there is still one BIG drawback......

As most of you should know, you can go into Security Options>Firewall and block incoming SMS, that way you won't get duplicates (One in Crunch, one in native messaging). However, when you do this, you will not be alerted of a new SMS. That is brutal! So, either you get an alert and deal with duplicates, or no alert but texts will go straight to Crunch. I've contacted them, and am awaiting a response on a possible fix for this, i.e. have Crunch show up under "other" on edit profiles.

If anybody has any ideas for a possible fix that I can't think of, let me know. Otherwise, I'd say to give it a whirl, they've come a long way since the initial release. BTW, no I do not work for them or anything like that, just thought I'd share since it's a pretty cool little app.
    01-25-10 01:38 PM
    why do you need this anyway....we have SMS just like the iphone and most all other devices now?
    01-25-10 01:44 PM
    Again, ours is threaded in that it doesn't create another entry. However, if you like the actual "bubbles" then this is an alternative.

This is clearly for cosmetic purposes, I guess.
    01-25-10 02:11 PM
    Give me the link to the app.
    01-25-10 02:51 PM
    Give me the link to the app.
    goto crunchsms.com and download your appropriate version.
    01-25-10 02:57 PM
    more than this, I would like an app that does what beyond160 used to do!
    01-25-10 03:21 PM
    more than this, I would like an app that does what beyond160 used to do!
    I agree. It is pretty annoying, but you could always just use an MMS if you know it's going to exceed 160. I understand this is not a "fix" but it does serve the purpose.
    01-25-10 03:43 PM
    I have tried that workaround but some of the folks I send to don't have MMS on their plans - they do however have unlimited texting.... :-/

maybe these guys can expand their app to include the multiple sms feature....I feel more people would then get this app (including me)...
    01-25-10 03:46 PM
    I have tried that workaround but some of the folks I send to don't have MMS on their plans - they do however have unlimited texting.... :-/

maybe these guys can expand their app to include the multiple sms feature....I feel more people would then get this app (including me)...

Its a free app already! It doesn't hurt to grab it.
    01-25-10 03:48 PM
    Is this a Storm only application ? (it doesn't specify on the CrunchSMS website).

I can get it to work on m y Storm 1, but it won't even launch on my Bold 9000 (with OS 5.0.0.411)
    01-25-10 04:47 PM
    It is not a Storm only app. When you goto the website, make sure you are downloading the correct version, depending on the OS you're currently running.

I had this on my Storm 1 as well as my Storm 2.
    01-25-10 04:51 PM
    the only version options are for the 4.6.x family OS, and the 4.7.0 or greater OS versions.

Chose the 4.7.x OS version, and doesn't work on a Bold 9000 with OS 5.0.0.411

All permissions set to "ALLOW", and two batt pulls, but no luck.
    01-25-10 05:10 PM
    Antic, no clue! Sorry, i downloaded the wrong version the first time, and it wouldn't work. I did that through App World. So, I deleted, then downloaded correct version for the actual website, and works like a charm!

Contact them, although it takes a day or so before they get back to you, per my past experience.
    01-25-10 05:13 PM
    Hmmm...I have threaded messages and bubble text boxes on my 9550, and I don't need a third party app for it. Just picked the "bubbles" option under the native SMS options menu. Weird.
    01-25-10 06:38 PM
    Hmmm...I have threaded messages and bubble text boxes on my 9550, and I don't need a third party app for it. Just picked the "bubbles" option under the native SMS options menu. Weird.
    Well, we all have that on our 9550. If you used this app, you would notice the difference and what exactly we are talking about. It is just a cosmetic thing for those interested. I'm a bit OCD, so I like to switch things up regularly to keep things interesting.
    01-25-10 06:40 PM
    Again, OURS is threaded in that it doesn't create another entry. However, if you like the actual "bubbles" then this is an alternative.

This is clearly for cosmetic purposes, I guess.
    Don't work for them, huh? Hahaha
    01-25-10 06:49 PM
    If you've seen an Iphone's sms conversation, then you would know that there is a big difference from what our 9550's say is "bubble" and what this app is apparently trying to accomplish.

I happen to like the Iphone's set up better than my 9550's "bubble" layout. I'm not willing to put up with what the OP labels as the big drawback though, that is a deal breaker.
    01-25-10 07:06 PM
    It actually looks pretty cool. I like it! I downloaded it just because i'm a downloading freak now with my S2. I like to try whatever app I can and this one makes texts looks pretty sweet

The thing I would like to see is some integration into the actual SMS instead of having to compose new messages through the app.
    Last edited by z06mike; 01-25-10 at 08:23 PM.
    01-25-10 08:20 PM
    It actually looks pretty cool. I like it! I downloaded it just because i'm a downloading freak now with my S2. I like to try whatever app I can and this one makes texts looks pretty sweet

The thing I would like to see is some integration into the actual SMS instead of having to compose new messages through the app.
    and that is where most all of these programs fail. they cant be integrated and they cant seem to clear the unread message count. that is why you have to go through the hassle of the firewall. which has its glitches as it is.
    01-25-10 08:31 PM
    I downloaded crunchSMS and like the ways it looks and feels. Except I am having one problem. When a text come in on crunch it has +1 in front of the area code and phone number so it doesn't recognize any phone numbers from my contacts. I don't know anyone who adds +1 when entering contacts in there phone. Is there a fix for this or a work around without changing every phone number in my contacts, that will take hours!
    01-29-10 03:12 PM
    Ok, I will take the flak and ask the stupid question. What is this "bubbles" for SMS people are reffering to. I have installed crunchSMS and pulled the battery and waiting for my phone to reboot while asking this question.
    01-29-10 06:49 PM
    Ok, I haven't been flamed yet. I have used crunch a lil. It is interesting, but it DOES NOT dupe messages. They only show up in crunch

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-30-10 06:50 AM
    Don't work for them, huh? Hahaha
    No, I don't work for them. If you reread what I put, I said OURS meaning native, not OURS meaning crunch.
    01-30-10 09:07 AM
    Ok, I haven't been flamed yet. I have used crunch a lil. It is interesting, but it DOES NOT dupe messages. They only show up in crunch

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    They have updated it, that's why it doesn't duplicate now. With earlier version, it was an issue.
    01-30-10 09:08 AM
    If you've seen an Iphone's sms conversation, then you would know that there is a big difference from what our 9550's say is "bubble" and what this app is apparently trying to accomplish.

I happen to like the Iphone's set up better than my 9550's "bubble" layout. I'm not willing to put up with what the OP labels as the big drawback though, that is a deal breaker.
    This has since been fixed. They have put like 3 newer versions out since I posted this thread.
    01-30-10 09:09 AM
251 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD