Ok so my phone was dropped recently and has a huge crack in it, the display is fine but typing and clicking is really unreliable because it jumps around a lot and hardly ever clicks where i want it too. I have the insurance but saw on ebay and other sights where the LCD is like $30 but others where its $300 dollars with the digitizer or possibly vice versa i forget. Anyway i want to know exactly what i need to do and the best way, $90 for a new phone from vzw or will the $30-$40 lcd fix my problem?
    11-29-10 03:37 PM
    spend the $90 on the replacement.

You havent factored in shipping or the chances that it might not work after youre done. Or if the digitizer cracks during shipping or the install.

It is truly up to you.
    11-29-10 03:43 PM
    I say get the insurance replacment.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-29-10 05:49 PM
    Replacing just the digitizer is a fairly complicated (IMO) procedure and pretty risky/easy to screw up. If you were going to replace parts, I would just get the complete LCD/digitizer assembly (make sure you keep the old one until you do the swap because you need to transfer the metal backing plate!). Disassembling the 9550 and replacing the complete assembly is very simple...much easier than the original Storm. There are videos on YouTube to do that. Here's a link to the digitizer/LCD from a company in CHina that I've bought a number of things from, including an LCD for one of my old Storms...

BlackBerry Storm2 9520/9550 OEM LCD/digitizer unit - 002/111 - - Cellular Accessories | Mobile

But that is more than your insurance cost. Personally, I would replace the screen because I hate changing phones and having to set everything back up, get new codes for apps, change the MEID with VZW, and so on. Not to mention that you will almost certainly get a refurb from Assurion anyway and we've seen how some of those look and perform. Yeah, you could send a bad refurb back, but then you have to make all those changes again... I'd rather spend the extra $30 and keep my good running Storm...lol! But that's just me. Dollar wise you're better off getting the insurance replacement. It may make you feel better getting something back from paying all that money to insurance. Sanity wise, maybe fix it yourself...I dunno.
    11-29-10 11:24 PM
    get original 9550 lcd from everything4blackberry
    the have overnight shipping from usa....
    11-29-10 11:32 PM
    get original 9550 lcd from everything4blackberry
    the have overnight shipping from usa....
    I'd have to disagree. Taking the phone apart and trying to do that yourself is too risky for the average person.

To the OP: I suggest getting an insurance replacement.
    11-30-10 10:44 AM
    Get an insurance replacement especially if you are not familiar with installing and taking apart your phone

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-30-10 10:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD