Well somehow while out partying, I cracked the glass on my storm. (The glass that is laid over the screen.) However the screen itself and the touch input work just fine. So at this point it is purely cosmetic. But at the same time I would like to be able to look at my screen without a crack going halfway through it.

I'm sure I can find a nuked storm somewhere on the net with the glass in one piece, however I am unsure if I can replace just the glass or the whole screen needs to be replaced. If that's the case, it may get costly.

I hate dealing with insurance. They have very poor quality control with the refurbs and they are getting more stingy about sending out new phones.

Otherwise that HTC Touch Diamond is looking rather enticing.
    05-14-09 12:24 AM
    You can't replace just the glass because there is a ribbon cable that goes from the bottom layer of the display to the glass. The only way to get the old glass off the lower parts is to cut the ribbon cable and, well, that won't be easy to put back together. I learned this because I wanted to save the glass from my broken LCD. Just think, if I had been able to do that I would have a piece of glass for you, but sorry...not possible.

Every broken Storm I have ever seen for sale had a broken (yep, you guessed it!) screen. Not saying you won't find a broken Storm with a good screen, but your chances are pretty low I think.

I'd say you have two options. Spend $50 and get a replacement or spend $100 and get a new display from cnn.cn to put in yourself. I would make your decision based on how much you like your Storm. Personally, I would pay the $100 because I don't want someone elses used beat up Storm that the Insurance company would likely send me. Besides, I did get a display from cnn.cn for my second Storm and I have to say that it's WAY better than the original displays on either one of my Storms. Maybe I got lucky, but it doesn't even have a peep of light leak and it's more brilliant.
    05-14-09 01:38 AM
    I have storm parts for the 9530
    $70 cdn for the lcd
    05-16-09 09:54 AM
    I also have a cracked screen - phone still works well, but with there is also a small piece missing from the bottom and i'm afraid it is just a matter of time before it all goes bad. I don't have insurance, so i need to find out about repair or parts and repairing myself
    05-21-09 07:46 AM
    I'm not a VZW customer, but doesn't the assurion insurance cover a brand new phone, not a refurb?
    05-21-09 08:14 AM
    One of our Storms screens just cracked. The screen lights up fine but the touch screen is no longer working. I found the screen on ebay for $30 but I have been told at the repair shop that I need to by the touch screen and LCD together because you cant get them to function correctly if you take them apart?? I need help. Where do I get what I need? 9530 model
    05-26-09 04:53 PM
    One of our Storms screens just cracked. The screen lights up fine but the touch screen is no longer working. I found the screen on ebay for $30 but I have been told at the repair shop that I need to by the touch screen and LCD together because you cant get them to function correctly if you take them apart?? I need help. Where do I get what I need? 9530 model
    05-26-09 04:53 PM
    there is two different models of the screen. you have to take the phone apart in order to be able to find out what part you need. chuckh informed me that he was very happy with cnn.cn screen. just order yourself the whole assembly and save the headache. and chuck is right its gonna a long shot to find a bad storm with a good screen. and besides you only have a 50% chance that the screen is gonna work with your board. i tried to figure out why there is 2 different screens, and why they are reverse compatible but nobody had the answer
    05-26-09 04:58 PM
    update: in another post the reason there is two different screens, is because they changed the design on the board. it seems as if the old storms had only one pressure point, where as i assume a newer board has 2 pressure points
    05-26-09 05:03 PM
    I had my storm replaced due to a cracked screen about 2 weeks ago. Warranty covered it. Got a refurb and have absolutely no issues with it.

Too many put down refurbs when in reality it's just the stigma of not having a "new" device that bothers them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-09 05:26 PM
    So Ed-flip... if not that cnn.cn where do you think I can buy the assembly? I have only had this phone for 3 months and factory warranty wont cover it, or VZW customer service said they wont
    05-27-09 01:43 PM
    the cnn.cn site says the type 2 is out of stock?? do i need a type 2 if my phone is only a few months old?
    05-27-09 02:22 PM
    i dont know you the only way to tell is if you take your phone apart and look at what the number is on the ribbon cable.
    05-27-09 02:30 PM
    Demise of my first storm is in my signature.
    If you have verizon replace it for you under your insurance (not the actual insurance company replacing it) then you get a brand new storm, not a refurb.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-09 02:45 PM
    Ok so I am suppose to take the phone apart and on the ribbon cable connected to the LCD Screen it will say type 1 or 2?
    05-27-09 03:58 PM
    Ok so I am suppose to take the phone apart and on the ribbon cable connected to the LCD Screen it will say type 1 or 2?
    It doesn't say "type" anything. There is a part number on it and you need to match that part number to the part number that matches the "type" at cnn.cn. Once you see the ribbon cable it will be quite clear.
    05-27-09 04:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD