Crackburglar, thanks for the help on gettin my 3rd party apps back on my phone. Had to re-upgrade to .151, used ur method = beutiful. Thanks again!
    08-13-09 09:53 PM
    CrackBurglar-
    This is the second leaked OS I've installed, but the first time I've used your instructional post. Just wanted to let you know that your instructions were dead on and I was able to load .151 onto my Storm with no issues! Thanks a bunch for taking the time to post this....as a newbie, it was much appreciated. I plan to run with .151 for awhile and then maybe test out a hybrid. I'm assuming these instructions will work just the same with a hybrid???

What advice would you give for when a wipe is needed? It wasn't in your 12 steps, so I can only assume it's not always required. Also, doesn't BBSAK now load the 3rd Party Apps with the click of one button? I also did that, but I wasn't able to find where BBSAK backed them up to.
    Keep up the great work!
    08-14-09 01:07 AM
    Awesome post, this makes me feel a little more at ease about loading .151, however reading that you kept a few other files, this should be the way to go if I want to keep using my mms/streaming (youtube/slacker) without problems?

Sorry if that sounds confusing, but I constantly hear how people with 151 are having probs with mms/streaming(radio).. Hows yours holding up?
    08-17-09 09:02 AM
    I have probs with Slacker and Pandora. I have finally removed them. Basically if I want music I load up my 8 GB chip. That way I hear the music I want to hear and don't have to skip songs if I don't want to.
    08-17-09 04:03 PM
    I'm assuming these instructions will work just the same with a hybrid???
    Yep, Should work for all of the 4.7.x.xxx os / hybrids, etc.

What advice would you give for when a wipe is needed? It wasn't in your 12 steps, so I can only assume it's not always required.
    When you load an OS you don't need a wipe. It does it automatically. However there are certain cases such as if you had come from a 5.0 Build back to 4.7.0.xx

Also, doesn't BBSAK now load the 3rd Party Apps with the click of one button? I also did that, but I wasn't able to find where BBSAK backed them up to.
    I'm not to sure how BBSAK does it. I'll have to try and see sometime.
    08-17-09 04:07 PM
    Lol the only problem with that is I like so much different music ... Rock country dance hip-hop... My phone would explode!
    Lol and I just like to hear new ones too you know?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-09 04:46 PM
    I know...

So your best bet would be to stick with .148, but I would atleast think about re-loading .148 after running Shrink-A-OS to cut out all the crapola...

Lol the only problem with that is I like so much different music ... Rock country dance hip-hop... My phone would explode!
    Lol and I just like to hear new ones too you know?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-09 09:52 PM
    In the middle of step 3 when I go to search for my pin on the start menu, it says it doesn't exist? Any ideas?
    08-17-09 10:46 PM
    I have probs with Slacker and Pandora. I have finally removed them. Basically if I want music I load up my 8 GB chip. That way I hear the music I want to hear and don't have to skip songs if I don't want to.
    I've had issues with Slacker too. Unfortunately, I really want it so I can listen to music while in planes or on my bluetooth while driving to work. The cache operation drags on for hours.....not sure how to solve this.
    08-17-09 11:27 PM
    Be sure to keep an eye out for the latest version of Slacker as talked about on the front page of CrackBerry.
    08-18-09 06:18 AM
    Not sure, Try a battery pull and then plug it in again?

In the middle of step 3 when I go to search for my pin on the start menu, it says it doesn't exist? Any ideas?
    08-18-09 06:19 AM
    Just wanted to say thanks to CrackBurglar for his efforts the other night in getting .151 installed to my phone. Sadly we were not successful, but I appreciated the time he spent all the same.
    08-18-09 10:26 AM
    I know...

So your best bet would be to stick with .148, but I would atleast think about re-loading .148 after running Shrink-A-OS to cut out all the crapola...
    thanks, ill check into just that than.. when I saw all the talk about typing online/txting being SOO much faster, I would almost sacrifice my Slacker radio for it.. But i'll test out shrink on the 148 and see if itll bring me over 40megs.. right now i have a HUGE leak somewhere.. its horrible.. crazy horrible.. I dont have the pics to post here, but if you check in the last few pages of elle theme if you got the time, you can check it out.. im talkin, leaking more than 13-15megs within the hour, then draining down to 18's.. than back up to 23 where it usually stays close too.. starts up almost at 33megs everytime..
    08-18-09 11:04 AM
    I dont have a folder called Loader files anywhere on my computer. How do I locate it?
    08-18-09 03:56 PM
    go here:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\

if you see loader files dir, there ya go... if not, either you do not have the BB Desktop Manager Software loaded, OR you do not have the storm OS loaded on your PC.
    08-18-09 04:03 PM
    I do not have the loader files dir there. However I do have the Desktop manager software installed.

I do not know what storm OS means but I did download .151 exe and installed it on my PC.
    08-18-09 04:14 PM
    then try:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\

If you can wait about an hour and send me a private message or email I can help you once I get home from work...

I do not have the loader files dir there. However I do have the Desktop manager software installed.

I do not know what storm OS means but I did download .151 exe and installed it on my PC.
    08-18-09 04:23 PM
    Yeah, this upgrade worked for me, but my OS is still a bit laggy. I really thought this phone was top of the line. It still feels like it has to wait after I push buttons and the like. I just got it 1 week ago, and I'm thinking I might return it and go back to a Moto Krzr. I feel underwhelmed.
    08-19-09 01:03 AM
    Thank you so much! I used these instructions for upgrading to .151 and it worked really well
    08-19-09 04:00 AM
    Couple of questions I'd like answered:

On step 8 where you say you'll see a list of applications, you say I don't have to check any blocks. It takes care of loading all of the 3rd party apps without checking any blocks? What do the "Core Phone" apps consist of?

On Shrink-A-OS, the latest version has "Add All 5.0 Files". Does that need to be done? What about the "Fixes/Other", "Radio Swap", and "Add Read" blocks? I'm pretty sure I don't need the "Add Read" stuff!

Thanks for everything!
    08-19-09 09:57 AM
    Great Questions!

Couple of questions I'd like answered:

On step 8 where you say you'll see a list of applications, you say I don't have to check any blocks. It takes care of loading all of the 3rd party apps without checking any blocks? What do the "Core Phone" apps consist of?
    The Core Phone Apps, I am assuming are things like the Radio file, etc other things that MUST BE present for your phone to work properly.

No, if you shrunk even one thing out using Shrink-a-os, then the job is done. The loader is not needing any more checkmarks other than what has been pre-selected. Reason being, the Loader is check marking what it finds in the OS installation directory

On Shrink-A-OS, the latest version has "Add All 5.0 Files". Does that need to be done? What about the "Fixes/Other", "Radio Swap", and "Add Read" blocks? I'm pretty sure I don't need the "Add Read" stuff!

No, you dont "have to" click 5.0 files. My inclination is to NOT click that if you are not a beta tester running hybrids, etc.

Radio Swap, NO, unless you wanted a .132 radio file with your .OS install. It's been said previously that the .132 radio file is superior to just about all of the os builds. I personally think sticking with the current radio build for your OS is a good idea.

Thing is, this is all relative... If you are the adventuresome type and want to try things, the options there... If you're more conservative and just want a good working phone, then shrinking out only bare minimum things like the languages, help files, etc...

Thanks for everything!
    08-19-09 11:42 AM
    Thanks for the answers and the great instructions!
    08-19-09 12:45 PM
    Very well written. I've done an OS load and was searching for instructions for my brother when I came across this. He is not as phone savvy as I so this will make it so much easier for him. Thanks a lot.
    08-20-09 12:11 AM
    CB,

I followed your instructions to a T and they worked perfectly! Phone's running great now. I'm sure the next update will be a lot smoother. Thanks again!
    08-20-09 10:53 AM
    AWESOME!! I did it!!

Previous = .148 booted up with 31-33megs, fell to 15-19mbs by 5 hours

Installed shrunk (conservatively) .151, first boot up with 46.2mb!!!

Java folder went from 66.16mb to 39.13mb after shrink!
    08-20-09 07:43 PM
179 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD